torque Wrench

Crocop43

Ones from the store

JSP

Super Moderator

ChUcK

*Disclaimer- when I say "you", I'm talking about everyone in the world, not Erionalite.

I use my arms as torque wrenches. Not a joke answer, it's a serious response that I hope you consider before going and spending money unnecessarily.

I know it may sound dumb, but from years spent watching "mechanics" perform maintenance on our broke-ass submarine, buddies breaking expensive Craftsman TW's, and a few recent threads about sheared bolts, I decided it's not worth it. The problem with torque wrenches is that they are operated by humans. Wrenches that long become breaker bars, which should only be applied in rare cases.

"Haha, that silly ChUcK, he doesn't realize my sheer mechanical prowess, I'm a garage genius!"

No, you're not. The guy adjusting Rossi's front suspension is a garage genius. You are just guy doing maintenance on your own motorcycle. You know by feel how much 'gronk' something needs to be appropriately tightened. If you're unsure, dab some blue loc-tite on there. There's a reason that wrenches are all different lengths, to control how much torque you can put on it before taking extraordinary measures such as artificial elongation of a ratchet with a lead pipe.

A couple of recent cases:
-fz6r forum member destroyed his oil drain plug
-buddy broke a $200 TW trying to loosen a fastener
-fz6r forum member sheared the head off an exhaust header bolt
-1.5 million dollars of damage to a seachest intake on SSN-711

There are, of course, hazards for every different wrench philosophy out there, but some are more expensive that others, and some don't require expensive tools in the first place.

...aaaaand I'm off my soap box. Time to take a chill pill and :iconbeer:

Crocop43

@ chuck:

Hey so are you saying I need to buy mote wrenches(please say yes...I'm a tool dude.) or are u saying that tightening it without a torque is better? I have a couple right now but if getting different lengths would make I more precise....then I'm down for that.:D

ChUcK

I'm saying that you need to buy less wrenches. There are very few things you can't do with a set of Allens, an open/box combo set, and a socket set.

DragonBlu

I use good quality torque wrenches when it is a precision job. Inch lbs. when called for and foot lbs. when called for. I have been making my living as a mechanic for 43 years and have seen torque wrenches mis-used in every possible way. They are a precision tool and should be used as such by people that have learned proper use of the tool. :banghead::iconbeer: Lecture over.

Oh yes now to answer the question; I have Craftsman,Harbor Freight,and one K-D brand.

Last edited:

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member
Last edited:

ChUcK

They are a precision tool and should be used as such by people that have learned proper use of the tool.
Much more eloquently put. I agree wholeheartedly.