top speeds?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Last edited:

gearhead

Dart, yes I did read the story and my point was that the guy was not caught in the act of speeding. Are you proposing that speeding is a violation that should be retroactively enforcable? Yes, the guy was an idiot for where he did it; but I do not agree that launching an investigation based on somebody bragging about speeding is right.

Detrich

went for a cruise with some friends after last night's bike meet after midnight... when we finally got to a really long, isolated straight-away, they took off and were "gone." i was already cruising at a very decent speed in 6th gear. i tried catching-up a bit, but within seconds i realized it was futile and backed down. they were on 1000cc bikes with the exception of one person who was on a gsxr-600...

that said, are we (fz6r) really THAT much underpowered? i guess so... <lol>

i would normally never even bother to try to catch-up to them. but, it was an isolated straight-away with no other cars. and, i didn't really go past my limits, so i just pushed it a little bit to see if it was even possible. but, there was just no moe juice left to squeeze... hahaha

after the fact, they told me how fast they were going. and, i'm not going to post it here, for obvious reasons. let's just say, use your imagination then add a couple more digits and you'll be in the ballpark. <lol> i didn't feel so badly after they told me... @_@

JonKerr

Elite Member

Detrich

It's good we're underpowered I guess ^_^. Safer...

Kspalla

Yamaha did a good job taking the Go out of the older R6 motors and giving it new life in our bikes but it would be nice to get it back somehow without a fortune invested! oh well might have to upgrade when that time comes....... maybe

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Roaddawg

"retroactively" applies to laws that did not exist at the time someone commits an act, e.g. you get a ticket for going 50 in a 35, and then the speed gets dropped to 25, they can't "retroactively" charge you for doing 50 in a 25 (unless it is specifically stated in the law... yeah, now that usually goes in favor of people, like an unconstitutional law, everyone gets a free pass).

This, my understanding, would fall under "statue of limitations"... I'm no lawyer and I'm sure every case would be different. I'm sure a few of our LE could explain some of it. Say for example, this specific case, or if they were chasing a car and lost it, but saw it again the next day/week/year?

Don't know I agree or don't agree with it, but I can say in this particular case, the kids did not fight it and "felt remorseful " after the fact. Had he not put specifics about his speed and a location... he'd probably be fine...
Basically, it was a citizens arrest, because it didn't happen in the Police officers presence (with applies to infractions and most misdemeanors). The citizen witness is the one pressing charges against the kid. The role of the Police is to write the report and file the complaint with the local District Attorney's Office. Of course this investigation was initiated by the Police (actually by the stupid kid mouthing off!), but ultimately, the citizen is the one pushing the issue and complaint. Of course, this is not a common practice by Police, but can be done if you're going to be stupid enough to brag about breaking the law with upset witnesses present.