Tools?

Nyuu

I was searching the forum for a thread that would spell out exactly what you should have in your garage for all of the main/most common fixes, how-tos, and mods and was unable to find anything. So perhaps this thread could become that. For instance, a list of all of the "must have" tools and what they'll be used for. At some point maybe it'll become a sticky if it gets enough input. I know it'd help me as kind of a wish list that I could slowly knock out. So, who wants to start? Something like this but serious:

Sledgehammer - knocking dings out, fixing electrical :rolleyes:

This thread could always be moved to the other section as well, since even experienced riders may be new to the mechanical parts. Thanks for any input! :) I'll add tools posted to this post so it all shows up right here. If a tool is already posted, you can add what mods you can do with that tool if it isn't already listed next to it!

Edit:----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Below here will be the real tool posts from all the members :)

Soldering Iron

Solder

Allen Wrenches - removing plastics from bikes
1/4 t-handle and a 3/8 t-handle

Allen Wrench Socket Set - for the Allen Wrench to install flashy things on bikes

Wrenches - to assist in installing flashy things.

Screw drivers - to screw

Duct tape - for when your talent runs out.

WD40 (Penetrating Blaster safer on the bike) - for when your muscles are too weak.

Hammer

Rag

Torque Wrench

Different Types/Sized Pliers - Hose clamps and such

18" Breaker Bar - Handle bars

Short and Long Socket Extenders - Spark plugs

Multimeter - For checking volts and continuity

Grunge/Chain Brush - Chain cleaning

Paddock Stands - Checking oil, cleaning chain, and beyond

Brake Fluid - Always good to have extra fluids laying around

Chain Lube (o-ting safe) - Always good to have extra fluids laying around

Oil - Always good to have extra fluids laying around

Anti-Freeze - Always good to have extra fluids laying around

Oil Filter Strap Wrench - Removing the filter

Magnet Pan - For holding bits and pieces

Magnet On A Stick - For grabbing hard to reach dropped pieces

Chain Alignment Tool - For aligning the chain

Loctite

Antiseize

Electrical Tape

Air Pressure Gauges

Last edited:

Michael Wilson

Allen wrenches- removing plastics from bikes

Socket sets- to instal flashy things on bikes

Wrenches- to assist in installing flashy things.

Screw drivers- to screw :)

Duct tape- for when your talent runs out.

Wd40- for when your muscles are too weak.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
In actuality, all the tools you need to work on the bike are found in the tool pouch under the pillion seat. Thanks Yamaha!

But carry on, nonetheless. :D

Enjarin

Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator

buzzbomb

Elite Member

RooKie

Need to make sure all tools are in metric units. None of that Inches BS. :D

Nyuu

Excellent posts so far everyone, going to add all of these to the first post. It's helping me plan my garage out so I'm sure it'll help any other newly mechanical members.

Edit: The more you put in your post, the more helpful it'll be when someone checks this thread. They'll see the mod/work they want to do and know which tools they should have before starting it. Think of anything and everything you can, even the little stuff will help someone that knows nothing. Things like duct tape, paddock stands are perfectly acceptable :) If it should be in your garage to work on the FZ6R, it can go on this list!

Last edited:

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Michael Wilson

Make sure you have a 1in ram air inpact gun. You never know when you need to twist a bike in half ;)

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

bmw675

2 nice air pressure gauges. One for the garage, one to keep with the bike.

Long "T" handle allen wrenches are great to have around. Use the standard "L" style or the allen wrench socket set to break the bolt loose and spin it out with the "T." Use just the "T" on all the bolts on the plastics. I bought a cheap $5 set at Harbour Freight and they're great to have around. Tool companies are now making a "T" handle with a bit on one end of the "T." Those would be awesome, but I've yet to acquire a set.
Last year I picked up a 50 piece hex/torx socket set. I ended up getting a screwdriver handle wrench that has a 1/4" drive on the end. works great with these sockets to take plastics and everything else off. much easier then trying to turn little allen wrenches.