Tires

FastFreddy

If you want to actually lean the bike over, get the Dunlop Q3, very grippy.

As I say "Life is too short for long wearing tyres".

You could alternatively get tyres with less grip that last just as long or you could also get tyres with way less grip that last even longer.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

blkbrd

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Chucker

I've got Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIs and I love them. They're great on the street, highway, at the track, and work well in the rain. I don't ride on the street as much as I'd like, so I'm not sure how they'll last, but they're too sticky to last long.

You need to really state your riding intentions when asking this question. Sport touring tires aren't a good idea if you're going to regularly hit the twisties aggressively or go to the track. Hypersports are going to be a bad idea if the majority of your riding is commuting or touring on the highway. Maybe tell us how you plan to ride and you'll get more useable answers.

abyss1406

I've ran pilot powers, bridgestones S20's, Q3's. Pilot series are solid choice and ill recommend them to anyone or all season/track/spirited riding. The S20's are sub par to the pilot series but very close to the pilots. They wear quicker but you'll still get 4k miles out of them. Q3's I had a short experience with. They felt great for the 400 miles I had them. But a couple nails ruined that set for me.

RoadTrip

Motorrad Tire test results:

In a 2012 Motorrad sport bike tire test for road use tires. Tested in Spain on a Suzuki GSX-R 600. Overall results: 1-Bridgestone S20, 2-Continental Sport Attack 2, 3-Michelin Power Pure, 4-Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2, 5-Dunlop Sportsmart (US Q2), 6-Metzeler M5 Interact

The thing I like about S20's is their quick transition, I have used rounder tires like Metzelers and didn't like the tip in and slow side to side transition. On the negative side, the S20's flat spot pretty fast and once that happens the handling is shiit. They are pretty cheap, though, you can get a set delivered for the FZ6R at $223 from RockyMountainATV. I go through 3 rears before replacing the front, and the front tends to stay round so its perfectly fine even after 3 rears.

But, everyone has their favorite brand, and answers will always vary.

Billy Ho

Riding style

Hello thanks for the feedback. My riding style right now is from work and back on the weekends take a trip threw some curvy back roads and in some hilly areas. I bought my bike about a month ago the tires that came with the bike and I am still riding them are Dunlop sportsmax. I want grip but I also want a good ride threw town as well.

abyss1406

any of the high performance tires from the big three will be more than adequate for any of your riding needs.

latony007

What do you guys think is the average life of the stock tires and the average life of a sport vs. touring tire? I have only had the bike little over a year, ride only on the weekends and split time as i have another bike and still looks like my tires are going to need replacing by the new year (i have about 5100 miles)
I ride pretty much just ride canyons on my sportbike unless you count the freeway to and from. I have always loved Michelin tires on my cars and bought Michelin Commander II for my cruiser which are great but im not sure what to do when i am ready to get another set but i know i dont want to be replacing them every 18 months its too expensive.

abyss1406

5100 miles is great!! I average about 4k on mine. The stocks I got about 5,500ish. I have a bad habit of riding alot. Like alot.

HelmetHair

I got 6200 miles on the stock Dunlop Roadsmarts. I still had tread on the back before reaching the wear markers, but the front was so cupped that turn-in was starting to feel wonky.

I replaced with Michelin Pilot Road 4's. I use my bike as a commuter and occasional longer distance highway driver (say Indianapolis to Chicago) during central Indiana's relatively short riding season. They work well enough for the smaller amount of twisties that I do. Lets face it, Indiana doesn't have the greatest "twisties."

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

latony007

I have to replace my rear tire every 2 months (2K)
huh? lets say thats 150$ you would be paying the cost of the bike every 6 years just in tires. And thats assuming you never change the front.

I've gone nearly 8k on the stock rubber. I've never felt super confident on them, and I went down under 30 degrees one morning coming around the mailboxes at the end of my street... but I've told that story.

Since 95% of the time I'm commuting my rear tire starting running flat in the center around 4 or 5k. My front tire looks fine to me but a few people have told me it looks really rough. I'm kind of concerned getting tires that only last 3 or 4 thousand miles, but at this point I'd rather do that for some confidence inspiring grip. Heard new tires *transforms* this bike. And if it's not a big enough difference, I'll swap back to the crappy high mileage stock ones. Probably get some Pilot Power or Qs when the weather turns warm again.

Just my 2 cents.
Yeah i think i can get 7 or 8 out of them. I have not even thought to check the wear markers, i dont know why i will do that when i get home. What to get next is still another question. Id like extra grip riding mostly twisties as well but somehow im thinking its not going to be something i can notice being that i dont ride to the limit of the bike. I certainly can't afford to be replacing tires every year so i guess i would lean towards trying some kind of touring and seeing if i notice a big difference. Course then i would be stuck with the for 10k

RoadTrip

huh? lets say thats 150$ you would be paying the cost of the bike every 6 years just in tires. And thats assuming you never change the front.
I have used sport touring tires to try and get more life and can only get about 3K from those as well. The issue is riding nearly exclusively on nasty chip seal on Texas backroads on hypersport tires (S20's), but that is where the good twisties are. If you check reviews on the webz you will see that lots of people are getting even less miles on a rear than me, its really not as unusual as you seem to believe. My point in quoting 2month/2K miles was only to show you that your 18month replacement is actually a really long time for a motorcycle.

latony007

I appreciate that, i guess im going to have to get used to the idea of putting them on more often than i thought. I only ride on the weekends, If i was commuting on the bike i guess i would be 1.5-2 sets down already. So much for gas savings lol. Plus having 2 bikes means that much more tires. I just put commanders on my cruiser that cost a fortune but im assuming a cruiser tire is going to get more life than a sport bike tire, i hope. If i have to replace them both every 18 months im selling lol.