Tires

Billy Ho

Ok I am looking at getting some new tires. The ones on my bike have kind of a flat spot on both front and back tire. They were made this way. I am looking on the internet and non of the tires look like mine. Is it just the way they look online or am I looking for a different type of tire? Thanks

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Slick

I have used Dunlop RoadSmart, Continental ContiMotion, and Michelin Pilot Road 3 and 2CT tires on my bike. I currently have a Pilot Road 3 front and 2CT rear, as the dealer didn't order the Road 3 rear and I needed a rear tire right away. They work well together, both dual compound. My perceptions only follow: The Dunlop Sportmax tires take a little warming up to achieve max grip. I pushed these tires hard (2 sets) and wasn't unhappy. I managed about 5,000 miles per set. ContiMotions were actually a good match for the bike and the roads where I live. They warmed up quickly, and hold a good line when pushed hard into the twisties. Low cost, but a good tire. Averaged 4,000 (maximum) per set, and that just wasn't good enough. (I have ridden 5,000 miles since Mother's Day!) Michelin Pilot Road 3's were recommended by a professional rider/journalist here locally, and I have been very happy with them. While I would prefer to have a matched set on the bike, the 2CT rear has excellent grip, warm up very quickly, and show very little wear for the 1,500 or so miles I have on them right now. (No chicken strips, either.) The Road 3 front tracks the corners very well, and the additional sipes do a great job in the wet. If I can, I will try the Road 4's on the next set. Either way, I think I will remain with the Michelin's. I ride hard, quickly through the curves, for hours at a time.

In my opinion, find a shop where you can actually get your hands on the tires. Get the best rubber you can afford, stay on top of the air pressures, and ride within your limits. Confidence in your tires will allow you to ride with fewer worries! Good luck in your hunt!

-Slick