Tires in cold weather

2wheelie

What is impacting the tires in cold weather? It takes longer to warm them up, but are they getting to the normal condition at all say at +/- 30 degrees? Would you go slower than normal in the curves (less lean angle) at these temps, or just hold off from riding?

ry-mac75

it'd just hold off riding... i ride in a lot of cold, but once it starts dipping into the negatives, it's too dicey.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I ride below freezing a lot, and what you need to be conscious of are the same things to look out for when it's raining outside; i.e. paint stripes, manhole covers, oil spots...anything that can decrease traction. When the tires are cold, they aren't as "sticky" as when they are warm. However, with a little bit of riding, the tires will warm up and can be just as effective in cold, dry conditions as they are under warmer weather.

6R Blackout

Tires

I ride below freezing a lot, and what you need to be conscious of are the same things to look out for when it's raining outside; i.e. paint stripes, manhole covers, oil spots...anything that can decrease traction. When the tires are cold, they aren't as "sticky" as when they are warm. However, with a little bit of riding, the tires will warm up and can be just as effective in cold, dry conditions as they are under warmer weather.
How long does it usually take for your tires to get flat spots in them, you know when it has been sitting up for a while. What do you do if you do have flat spots, buy new ones.

Last edited:

rr_double_rr

I've ridden every day possible this winter. Minus bad weather, I won't mess with ice, and the other exception was when she was getting repainted. Beyond that, the only thing I've noticed is that you can't be as punchy with the throttle and be cautious of the normal things like was said above. Paint stripes, and oil especially. I haven't had any problem with the man hole covers, but there aren't too many in this part of Georgia.

Be conscious of apexing turns, as I said earlier, because its way easy to overfill the bucket and break the rear end loose. Also, make sure that you are using balanced front and rear braking.

Be safe, good luck, and keep the shiny side up. :iconbeer:

Roaddawg

I've only ridden a couple times this month due to either; heavy rain or my schedule didn't allow me.....so, last night, I checked the bike over, cleaned her all up, and was planning on riding to work this morning. I was all excited to be able to ride with clear skies on the forecast....But of course, I wake up this morning and it's 30 degrees out (i told myself, 38 is the cutoff). Then, I turn on the news and all they are talking about is black ice crash this, black ice crash that....so, I made the decision to not ride....I'm so bummed now, but I did pass two crashes on the way to work...so I can't feel too bad. (plus, I am trying to fight off a cold my kids gave me)