Tire wear off q.

2wheelie

I have very uneven wear on a rear tire. Even more on the left side. Left is cupping a lot, while right side just feels uneven if moving your hand agains it. Checked the alignment (axel marks, by string, chain stick..) and it doesn’t look to be off. Any other reason this can be? I changed tires few times but it is the same thing going on, on each one…

Last edited:

iSpoolin

Underinflation? That's my only guess. Other then that, maybe they need to be balanced? I have no clue honestly.

2wheelie

I normaly check the pressure. 36F 40R riding alone and 2up.
As for balancing, I change tire myself, but never do the balance. Still don't notice any vibrations etc.

JonKerr

Elite Member

KeysRider3

If the alignment is good (try using a flourescent light tube to check front-to-rear alignment), the cupping is probably a result of the wheel/tire being out-of-balance. Go with the DynaBeads suggestion. It's easy, your wheel profile will be cleaned-up, and the balance will be dynamic instead of static.

miketriebsch

Mines the same way I was told by a Yamaha mechanic that it is from the arch in the middle of the road that makes the water drain off to the side of the lane. Since the right side of your tire is more worn than I would say you ride more to the left of your lane which would make the other side of the tire chop up becuase of the uneven weight being despursed to that tire because of the crown in the rd. It made some sense to me when I was told but I'm not a doctor lol.

Last edited: