Tire Sealant/Treatments

Rao

So, I just got back from a relatively short ride, and I notice that there is a hissing noise coming from somewhere nearby as I dismount.

As I feared, I got a nail in the rear tire, right in the middle of the tread...Just in time for my birthday!

Very frustrating, as I've only put 1100 miles on the bike sofar.

So, I've been looking at a few things so that I wont get "nailed" again.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tQ6hFqifE8"]Ride-On Tire Demonstration[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrRcNoCY9JA"]Ride-On Motorcyle Tire Treatment Installtation[/ame]

What are your thoughts on Tire sealant treatments, either installed at home or professionally?

DragonBlu

Preventing the air from escaping from a bike tire is easy. The problem is when anything penetrates a tire damage is done to the cords and strength of the tire. I have been riding over forty years and have worked in the tire business 11 of those years. Most people will agree that if you puncture a motorcycle tire it should be replaced. These sealants work to get a vehicle(car or truck) off the road to a tire shop for a correct repair of a tire. I would never put them in a bike tire for anything but that and then ride slowly home or to a shop to have the tire replaced. I know it is costly to replace bike tires,but it is not worth risking your life over a hundred dollar tire. Ride safe!

dndfindley

Preventing the air from escaping from a bike tire is easy. The problem is when anything penetrates a tire damage is done to the cords and strength of the tire. I have been riding over forty years and have worked in the tire business 11 of those years. Most people will agree that if you puncture a motorcycle tire it should be replaced. These sealants work to get a vehicle(car or truck) off the road to a tire shop for a correct repair of a tire. I would never put them in a bike tire for anything but that and then ride slowly home or to a shop to have the tire replaced. I know it is costly to replace bike tires,but it is not worth risking your life over a hundred dollar tire. Ride safe!
So what you're saying is that if you have a flat go ahead and use Fix-A-Flat or Slime. Ride slowly to a dealer or other tire repair shop and have a new tire mounted. Is that correct? David

DragonBlu

That is what I am saying,yes sir. I know it is the shits to buy a new tire when it only has a few miles on it,but the risk on a bike is not worth it.

JSP

Super Moderator
Absolutely get a punctured tire replaced. Use flat fix stuff to get it to the shop or home. Your life rides on that piece of rubber on the road. It is not like a car. You only have the two. One tire blow out can be deadly.

Rao

Thats what I was figuring. I looked all over the forums for posts on the tire sealant stuff, didnt see one and figured I'd ask. Thanks for the input guys.

I picked up one of those simple plug kits, and have already plugged the hole. The bike is ready to be driven -slowly- to the shop. All I gotta do now is pick out a new tire.

I'm thinkin about a Pilot Road 3.