Tire question

Iccycold

So long story short, i got a flat rear tire the other night at about 70 mph. After some crazy sliding from the rear end and some violent shaking i managed to keep it upright and over to the shoulder. Found a small screw in the center of the tread. I want to replace the tire instead of plugging it; i just don't feel safe with a plug/patch. I'm probably going to go with a pilot road 4. My question is should i replace the front at the same time? It is stock with 4000 miles on it and looks to be fine.

Also is it difficult to remove the rear wheel? I'm thinking of doing this instead of towing/ renting truck to take the whole bike somewhere.

Mtn Rider

I assume you left the bike somewhere and its not at your house, but the rear tire is not difficult to remove and replace. Check you manual. I wouldn't rent a truck or have it towed for a flat tire. That's just me. Also consider buying a plug kit (any MC shop) and doing a temp fix with the wheel and tire on the bike. Then you can ride it to the nearest shop.

I really like my PR3's. Replace the front? It's up to you but I like to replace F&R in sets at the same time. New tires are really sweet. But again that's just me. If the front still has some mileage left I don't necessarily see a safety issue and I personally would not hesitate to ride a bike with that tire combo. But I wouldn't ride it aggressively but again that's more of a mental confidence thing then anything scientific based. When I ride new tires I just feel a lot better about leaning it over. If most of your riding is straight roads then I don't see a problem keeping the front.

I replace both at the same time even though 1 tire (usually the front) still has a few miles left.

Just my preference.

Runragged2

Like you, i had a screw in the rear tyre, so i had a pr4 fitted to the rear. I left the stock front on as it had lots of wear left.
As luck would have it, i picked up another screw only a month later, so another new rear pr4 was bought.
I like the pr4, great tyre.
The rear wheel is quite easy to remove, certainly a lot easier than my precious two bikes.
David form the UK

Iccycold

Thanks Guys, i did have it towed home as it was almost 11 at night on a Sunday. I will have to check the manual for the rear wheel i know i have to tools to do it just never attempted it. I plan on getting some sort of patch kit to keep under the seat for the future.

Has anybody tried the ride-on products? From what i can tell you add the product from the start and it balances the wheel and will seal punctures as they happen.

BIG O

Rode on a plugged rear tire for many miles after plugging it. Had no issues.

However, I did put on a new rear before I took a long weekend trip down to Arkansas. Didn't want to get caught out 400 miles from home.

As for replacing the front at the same time, I wouldn't worry about it. You typically go through two fronts to one rear anyway. However, if you would have a better peace of mind replace it/them.

Taking the rear wheel off is easy as long as you have a rear stand to raise the wheel/back end off of the ground. 10 minute job at the most.

Slick

Maybe it is the road composition here in Western NC, but I have always had to replace both tires, not the 2 rear to one front. I can chew up a tire in these mountains, and only plan on 4,000 miles per set (using ContiMotion front and rear). Got better life out of Dunlop Sportmax II, but then just 6k. I am hoping for at least 6K out of the Michelin Pilot Road 3.