Tire Pressure

MNDZA

I've only had my FZ6R for a couple weeks and I checked the tire pressure today finally. It seems that it was pretty low. And on top of that, I weigh 240 so I'm supposed to have 36F/42R. So in my case, it was very low...about 29F/33R. So I put some air in and the bike is even more amazing now. It leans a hundred times better which is awesome because I already thought it leaned nicely. Everyone check your tire pressures. I'm thinking of buying this thing:
Big Bike Parts, Inc

r0bot

Looks very cool, although a little pricey, but guessing based on other posts and purchases you got some money to burn so more power to ya. I will be checking mine weekly or more often with a digital tire pressure gauge.

P

PAJeep

Tire pressure, turn signals, headlights and horn should be checkered every day before you ride. Some may think its overkill but one day it just may save your life. Only takes a minute or two to do.

xplodnstar

I check most of it, but If I checked the horn every morning before going to work, I would have some very unhappy neighbors. It's not like anyone actually moves for my horn out here anyway, so I just need to make sure the brakes and throttle work more that anything. Oh, and the tire pressure. I'll need the maneuverability to get around the soccer moms. ;)

MNDZA

F

Fozzy6

As a new rider, I've got a question regarding tire pressure. Is it normal for the tires to still look and feel rather firm even with the pressure down in the mid twenties psi? I don't want to inflate them too much before discounting that I may have a bad pressure gauge.
:confused:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
As a new rider, I've got a question regarding tire pressure. Is it normal for the tires to still look and feel rather firm even with the pressure down in the mid twenties psi? I don't want to inflate them too much before discounting that I may have a bad pressure gauge.
That's natural. The sidewalls of bike tires are more rigid, from my understanding. This ensures that the tire remains firm when leaning over. I think it will take a drop to pressures in the teens before you begin to see a noticeably flat tire.

Just remember: It only takes TWO SEC to look over the bike each time you go out for a ride. It will save your life in the long-run!

Tires
Wheels
Oil and other fluids

Suspension and brakes
Electronics (high/low beams, turn signals, and horn)
Chain

F

Fozzy6

Thanks for the reply, 99. I adjusted pressures before riding this evening and she seemed to handle so much better than before.
:thumbup:

W

wolfc70

Yup, that is normal. It is part of the tire design. It is also a huge plus when you get a flat. Unlike a car tire, motorcycle tires keep there shape so you can safely pull off the road. Things will feel greasy, but you can maintain control.