Tip %$#@ over!

Nmexico

Tip the bike over today. Was riding out the driveway and suddenly had stop to avoid a speeding car, turned the handlebar too far right and the Momentum of the bike tipped it over. I'm 5 feet 6 30 inseams was not able to catch it good like a longer legged rider. Here is the damage. Its at the shop right now, I want it back to showroom shape. They are saying 1k in damages ballpark figure but will get a real estimate tomorrow.
Scratched- fairing, mirror, bar ends, brake lever and foot pegs.

Last edited:

Bert-Aus

Sorry to hear you hurt your baby,
at least a spit'n'polish will clean her up,

don't worry after 50k miles those little knocks will be unrecognisable

I used to park on mulch at my former employer to keep an eye on my bike and one day it tipped over. You can press the turn signal back into place. They are designed to take a beating. As long as nothing is bent, a small scratch isnt worth replacing $800+ in OEM parts.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

RooKie

I feel your pain...

I dropped my bike while parking it right after getting the keys. 1 mile and already dropped... *sigh*... Had scuff marks on the left side for the entire time I had the bike and honestly I had forgotten about it.

It looks like you should be ready to ride by just replacing the rear brake lever and popping the fairings back into place. Should be able to remove fairing and bolt it on again the right way with no problem. No more than $100 in parts, 1-2hrs of labor, and 2 beers.

... or you can street-fighter it :cool: lol.

Nmexico

Well I can bare to have scratches on my car but the motorcycle is my baby. Its my mental escape from reality and I will probably cough up the money to get it back to new shape. Same thing with my bicycles, I have never chained up either of them due to not wanting scratches.

Shit!
Are they kidding me. I am about to pick it up, I just told them to align the bike and check for safety.

Last edited:

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

latony007

i dropped mine the first week i got it, as with almost everyone else in the fricken driveway which i think hurts more than out on the street lol. Luckily i was able to lower it down so there was really very very minimal damage.

DO NOT spend any of that money the dealer wants. Most of these items you can get better replacements and cheaper. Bar ends i spent like 20$ on and got nice red ones that match my paint. Levers i replaced with red ones as well and that was only like 15$ and both those things my gradma could replace on the bike. The stock turn signals suck so get some flush mounts (search it) or check out my photos. Those i put on myself and im horrible mechanic. The only thing you really have an issue with here is the fairing itself which is just a couple screws, try and find one on ebay if it really bothers you (and it would me too)

Nmexico

Yep, learned the hard way to never go to Yamaha dealer to even get an estimate. They charged me 99 dollars to get a quote to fix things up.

I just got back from a independent shop. No charge for a write up on prices and they have a guy who does paint work on fairings plus suggested to just buy a Yamaha fairing sticker kit instead of a new fairing. Will get back to me today.

So true about drops, this bike is kind of top heavy and sure is easier to drop slow speeds than when its going.

RedRider

Sorry to hear you dropped it. Sounds like a lot of us, including myself, also dropped their bike early in its life LOL. I've gotten over it and hasn't bothered me these days. That's a lot of money the dealer is trying to get out of you. Like latony007 said, you can spend less fixing it yourself. Fortunately you just dropped it and it wasn't part of a crash. My bike is still scratched but I'm still enjoying the ride regardless.

Nmexico

The independent shop wants 844.00 to get it back to new vs 1507.00 at the Yamaha dealer. I went with it, hopefully last time this ever occurs.
This is for OEM everything at both shops. The Yamaha dealer just nickels and dimes and looks for every little excuse to pile on the 99.00 an hr rate.

Last edited:

latony007

The independent shop wants 844.00 to get it back to new vs 1507.00 at the Yamaha dealer. I went with it, hopefully last time this ever occurs.
This is for OEM everything at both shops. The Yamaha just nickels and dimes and looks for every little excuse to pile on the 99.00 an hr rate.
thats a lot better, however i still say you can do the small stuff much cheaper and replace with better than OEM parts. Good Luck!

For example..
New Motorcycle Blue Bar Ends Logo for Yamaha YZF R1 1998 2008 | eBay

Clear Triangle Flush Mount LED Turn Signals Indicator Suzuki GSXR 1000 750 600 | eBay

Qrider682

This is for OEM everything at both shops. The Yamaha dealer just nickels and dimes and looks for every little excuse to pile on the 99.00 an hr rate.
Is this your first bike? If it is, you will drop it again. Even if this is not your 1st bike, chances are you will drop it again. The picture doesn't even look bad at all. I dropped my first bike twice within a month. Have less than 1000 miles on this one. I WILL drop it one day. It's just part of riding.

I wouldn't fix it. Since you are going to, good luck!

RedRider

Spend the money either on better parts or on riding gear. $844 could get you a nice leather suit if you don't have one already.

latony007

Spend the money either on better parts or on riding gear. $844 could get you a nice leather suit if you don't have one already.
lol, what comes to mind first is thats 1/6 what I paid for the whole bike new. But I certainly understand wanting it back to new after you just got it. I was so pissed at myself when I did it.

And im not sure the R1 bar ends I listed fit the FZ6r I was trying to show an example but I bet someone on here knows if they will!

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Runragged2

Dealer quotes like that are great for insurance jobs or if someone else is paying.

Most panels can be fitted yourself, only the bits like the indicators and brake lever may need replacimg. The rest can be polished, or simply wear ypur dents with pride.

I had a similar quote for a scooter knocked over in a parking lot. The perpitrator left me a note with his number. The dealer estimate was over 1000 pounds (1500USD) to replace all the damanged parts. We settled on 400 ponds to replace one plastic part and i would live with a few war wounds. A bit of black paint soon hid the rest of the damage.

David

Bert-Aus

This is what I would do!
Spend the insurance $ on upgrade/ mods or gear & live with those little dings