Throttle restriction removal

furiousgeorge

Hi all, new here and i just got my new FZ6R, burnt orange. Loving it so far but of course i have ordered a new throttle plate to remove the restriction. I have researched on the net and pretty sure i have it sussed out in regards to doing it myself but i have a few questions for anyone here who has done it. I understand i need a torx bit (25 i think?) but do i need one with the hole in the middle, as in does the screw have a pin in the middle of it? If so where did you get it? Also are the throttle cables a pain to remove, do they only need to be removed at the plate end (not the bar end) and is there much room for damage to be done to the throttle cables whilst doing this? I ask because for obvious reasons i would like to do the work myself, but if i dont think i can i will talk to mechanic about it.
Thanks in advance

furiousgeorge

Thanks for that, that was a huge help. Feel a bit stoopid now that i couldnt find that myself. I'll let you know how it goes, i should have the part in a week or so

eashleighv9

Hi, I had my bike derestricted a couple of weeks ago. Yamaha's crew did it, it took 30 minutes and cost me $70 bucks. I feel safer riding with full power, I can anticipate every move made by drivers and take a quicker action e.g. overtaking or merging into high ways, etc. Guess what? When i went to Dep of Transport to obtain my new sticker as a derestricted bike, my bike was already considered as a derestricted one. Seems to be the transaction made by seller with the Dep was wrong, and I did not notice my registration sticker did not mentioned my bike as a LAM bike.

dcBear78

Hi, I had my bike derestricted a couple of weeks ago. Yamaha's crew did it, it took 30 minutes and cost me $70 bucks. I feel safer riding with full power, I can anticipate every move made by drivers and take a quicker action e.g. overtaking or merging into high ways, etc. Guess what? When i went to Dep of Transport to obtain my new sticker as a derestricted bike, my bike was already considered as a derestricted one. Seems to be the transaction made by seller with the Dep was wrong, and I did not notice my registration sticker did not mentioned my bike as a LAM bike.
QLD transport had issues early on with this. Mine was the first registered in the state, and I notice almost 2 years later that it is not registered as a LAMS model. I think you had to carry a letter from the dealer confirming it actually was one (long since lost this letter).

furiousgeorge

A mate of mine bougt his around two years ago in townsville, even then there were still issues, he was told he would have to obtain a letter from the manufacturer(as stated in the LAMS list for QLD), even though his rego plate clearly had LAMS written on it. I bought mine this year and was not told anything about obtaining a letter. My rego says LAMS so im running with it

miketriebsch

I had no clue our bike had one. Is it worth takin off?

miketriebsch

Doesn't pertain to our bikes in the US, just to our buddies in Australia
Well that sucks more speed would be nice lol
Thanks man!

furiousgeorge

OK i got around to it finally (been a bit busy again lately)...its like a whole new bike! Definatly worth doing, bit frustrating and fiddely but only took half an hour to do. Its still not an awesome perfromance bike, its no gixxer or R6, but noone said it was. Had to adjust the throttle cable at the bar end, is there a way and did anyone adjust at the throttle plate end? There was a stupid amount of play when i was done, but i tightened up at the bar end and now its heaps better.

seanos fz6r

well done furious, Its a great little bike with full throttle. I did mine some time ago with the advice and tips of the good people on this site. I didn't have a problem with the play, which surprised me. Although I think a remember tightening a nut on the throttle cable, plate side. Hope that helps :cool:

MrPyklet

XJ6 throttle restrictor

I have an FZ6R but Ive managed to acquire a XJ6 throttle restrictor. Im hoping to give it the chop so it is a de-restrictor, just wandering if the XJ6 Diversion has the same throttle body as the FZ6R? Im pretty sure it does but just want to be sure before I go chopping things up

Lgecer

hey guys new to the forum, it has been very helpful, but i have been searching this forum for a few hours now and can't find anything on having to change ecu or power command if derestricting. i have rang mechanics and they have told me its a good idea but i know they only want my money, what do you guys think?? if i derestrict without changing ecu or power command will it damage the bike in any way??

Bert-Aus

dcBear78

hey guys new to the forum, it has been very helpful, but i have been searching this forum for a few hours now and can't find anything on having to change ecu or power command if derestricting. i have rang mechanics and they have told me its a good idea but i know they only want my money, what do you guys think?? if i derestrict without changing ecu or power command will it damage the bike in any way??
Nope....No requirements what so ever to touch this. Only needs the replacement part (or modification) to remove the restriction.

Bert-Aus

Have you spoken with someone at ServiceSA as yet?

I believe, all you need to do is to change the throttle body to a non-restricted variant and have it checked with Regency
If I'm wrong post the up the response from ServiceSA as there are always these questions posted but never any resolution

If it all goes fine then ZIngAH! wind it out to 12K

MrPyklet

Is it safe to assume that since the FZ6R is not yet recognised as a LAMS approved bike (need a letter to carry round etc) that when I get my R license (next month :D) that I can remove the throttle restriction and shouldnt have an issue with the law?

Karlbee92

So I modified the restricted throttle plate by cutting off the part that stops the throttle being opened anymore. I will post before and after pictures if anybody needs them. Quick question... Is it possible to have too much throttle? For instance, If my throttle is already 100% open and I pull the throttle back more, will it start to close again?