thought my chain fell off

djayd

I was cruising down the freeway yesterday at 60 when my bike suddenly reved high jumping into the 10s. I couldn't figure it out, thought that maybe the bike had somehow fallen into neutral. Well **** that's probably not good, so I shifted through my gears and tried a different one. NO LUCK.

****! My chain fell off! except... I can see my chain happily coasting along. I pull on the throttle nothing, I shift gears nothing. I'm just coasting. There no power or connection between my engine and the chain.

Once I got the bike to the roadside (Hair raising at night, in pouring rain) I decided to try a couple experiments:
*the bike still shifts through 1n2345 stopping at either end.
*the bike can coast in any gear
*the bike does not need the clutch engaged to switch through gears while running

I won't have a chance to mess with it for a couple days but does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong? Best I can think of is that the final drive stripped it's sprocket somehow.

mike

First thing i would look at is the clutch, check the clutch cable and make sure it's not binding up and holding the clutch out. If all is good with the cable i would pull the clutch cover and examine the friction discs. Any signs of it slipping prior? Have you ever adjusted your clutch?

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

abyss1406

did your clutch cable partially snap?

mike

No need to drain oil to pull the clutch cover. If the clutch needs replaced you will def need to change the oil due to contamination from the clutch material. new gasket will be needed either way.

tw586

check output shaft

make sure the external splines on the output shaft to front sprocket are not stripped. remove the front cover and check the shaft lock nut is tight, start the bike and see if the nut turns but the sprocket remain stationary, most likey it was left loose at some stage and now has stripped out

make sure the external splines on the output shaft to front sprocket are not stripped. remove the front cover and check the shaft lock nut is tight, start the bike and see if the nut turns but the sprocket remain stationary, most likey it was left loose at some stage and now has stripped out
Id start here ^^^^!!!! ^^ + 5

djayd

the issue, can you help?

So I finally had a chance to look at my bike in the day light. After taking off the cover on the final drive sprocket I saw that I had lost the nut that's suppose to hold my sprocket in place. So I have to get a new one problem is it's not a standard part.

Can anyone send me the specs on the nut from their bike? It's one large nut, bolts directly over the sprocket take three screws out with an allen wrench and you're staring right at it. I need the spacing of the thread on the bolt and the size of the bolt shaft.

tw586

So I finally had a chance to look at my bike in the day light. After taking off the cover on the final drive sprocket I saw that I had lost the nut that's suppose to hold my sprocket in place. So I have to get a new one problem is it's not a standard part.

Can anyone send me the specs on the nut from their bike? It's one large nut, bolts directly over the sprocket take three screws out with an allen wrench and you're staring right at it. I need the spacing of the thread on the bolt and the size of the bolt shaft.
it will be a dealer supplied part from yamaha only, I usually replace the nut when i do a sprocket change and they are generally quite inexpensive

Last edited: