Terrible Tank Bag

Hoops 09Raven

I purchased the Magnetic MiniTank Bag from Cortech this past Saturday. Im looking to take it back to the shop where i purchased in exchange for a backpack. Although this tank bag had lots of room and was able to store alot of junk its a pizza crap! I found after using it twice on my route to and from work I noticed several noticeable scratches on my tank as a result of the tank bag. :(

So, if you happen to value your paint job on your gas tank 'my' recommendation is to stay away from this, run and dont walk. If you dont care about your paint, then this will be the bag for you.

:mad::rant:

Rookasaki

I purchased the Magnetic MiniTank Bag from Cortech this past Saturday. Im looking to take it back to the shop where i purchased in exchange for a backpack. Although this tank bag had lots of room and was able to store alot of junk its a pizza crap! I found after using it twice on my route to and from work I noticed several noticeable scratches on my tank as a result of the tank bag. :(

So, if you happen to value your paint job on your gas tank 'my' recommendation is to stay away from this, run and dont walk. If you dont care about your paint, then this will be the bag for you.

:mad::rant:
Thanks for the heads up... Two of my buddies have them. I'll have them check their tanks.

JonKerr

Elite Member

bigguybbr

They rubberize the pads over the magnets to help improve grip. But if you tank isn't meticulously clean (along with said pads) or if you ride through say a cloud of dust, dirt will get trapped under them, and the vibrations from the road and motor will start etching scratches into your tank. And yes, all tank bags do that. The scratches should be minor however, and buff right out.

Another thing you may want to look into is getting a gas cap ring mounted tank bag. Since there are no magnets, I don't think it rub against your paint like other bags since it is locked in place by a secure ring mounted to where your gas cap is. Here is one they have on twistedthrottle.com

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/imagecatalogue/imageview/10802/?RefererURL=/trade/productview/2131/451/

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

bigguybbr

hmm... been using mine for over a year and haven't noticed any scratches from it :confused::confused::confused:

I do wipe it off on a regular basis with some spray wax.

I have a Cortech Super 18 Liter Tank bag, which is a magnetic tank bag as well.

Cortech :: Luggage :: Super 18 Liter Tank Bag

I haven't had any issues with scratches, and I have been using mine for close to a year. I put it on every time I ride. I too keep my bike as clean as possible, and covered up when I don't ride, if it isn't in the shed.
Well of course you guys have any trouble. Didn't you know the raven FZ6Rs have a few drops of tiger blood added to the paint, that is then sprayed on by Adonis himself? That's why the bike is the number one choice of vatican assasins everywhere.

Actually you both keep your bike clean, and that is the big key here. A quick wipedown with some detailing spray of both the tank and the bag will keep it dirt and debris free, so it doesn't act like a scouring pad on your bike.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Hoops 09Raven

Any magnetic tank bag is going to do that. Do what I do, put a microfiber cloth over the tank before putting the tank bag on. It'll prevent the scratching.
Thats a good idea. Will give it a try!

I am very meticulous when it comes to my vehicles so I have been wiping my bike down all the time with spray wax and do keep her covered when I am not riding. I think I will just switch to a backback for now.

Any recommendations on a product to buff out these scratches?

Spunky99

I have a hydro tank pack for hot summer rides. Wearing a hydrobac sucks because your back sweats. I haven't used it yet and probably never will.
Stopping and taking a break and hydrating and relieving yourself is a better idea.