Tell me "how to" remove front sprocket

porky45

I have it down to the 30mm bolt holding on the small sprocket. Can't get it to loosen up without the sprocket rotating...what am I doing wrong?

pilninggas

what you need to do is to stop the rotation, i have yet to fiddle with front sprocket on my xj6, but have done many on other bikes over the years. the way i do it is to use a piece of softwood (lumber) placed in the back wheel to stop the wheel rotating (jammed against a spoke and the swingarm), be careful not to damage the wheel!

If you have an assistant get them to hold the back brake on instead.

obviously this requires the chain to be in position.

ps putting in it gear will add additional resistance to rotation.

porky45

thanks guys! i thought that may be it but since i had already taken the back sprocket off i was hoping there was a different way.

CtrlAltDl

Impact wrench will do it to.

72racer

Elite Member

elishatarvin

Also what is the purpose of the metal pieces that fit inside the end of the swingarm tube on both sides of the tire. They seem adjustable with the 2 little nuts and long rod (haha sorry) that are in the outside

blackie65

Also what is the purpose of the metal pieces that fit inside the end of the swingarm tube on both sides of the tire. They seem adjustable with the 2 little nuts and long rod (haha sorry) that are in the outside
those are used to adjust the chain and it is important that they are equal spaced on each side. (see marks on each side).

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

elishatarvin

alright i got everything completed, no extra bolts or anything. all the bolts that had loctite on i put loctite on. chain slack is at 2 inches when checked alittle closer to the front of the bike than mid swingarm. runs and rides great. i cleaned chain with kerosene and a rag and then lubed er up. but now my chain sounds like it hasnt been lubed in awhile, which i just lubed it but it makes that same kinda sound. do i need to grease the teeth on the sprockets or does an aluminum rear sprocket cause that. i cant tell where its coming from but its definitely louder than it was.

btw a black rear sprocket makes a big difference to the look. i was surprised. i also painted the footpegs and gearshift rod and clutch and brake foot levers black. looks very "clean" now

edit: i also have all the bolts tightened to the correct torque spec following the torque spec thread in this forum

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

elishatarvin

i used the same lube i used last time and even applied more i think. it is a non fling lube cant recall the name right now but i got it from cycle world. might not have gotten enough though, i will double check the chain slack and wheel alignment and add some more lube tomorrow.

Last edited:

elishatarvin

adjusted chain slack and wheel alignment and then double checked all and the triple checked all. added more lube and chain is quieter. still alittle louder than it used to be but not as loud as it was so all in all my first big motorcycle mechanic job ever came out smoothly. makes me wanna :mikebike:

elishatarvin

one more quick question though. do u think if i added some auto grease to the sprockets it would quiet it down? is that even safe/smart to do?

72racer

Elite Member