t-rex frame sliders.. save your money

oorgle

as i explained here I laid the bike down today. http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/layed-bike-down-25039/

I had t-rex 3 mount no cut frame sliders on my bike and they completely failed at doing their job. the slider on the side that hit the ground broke off. I was only going about 35 mph. I wasn't racing

the actual slider pulled out from the bolt that holds it to the mount. after inspecting the slider i don't see how it ever could have worked as there simply isnt enough material there for the bolt to hold the slider on when it hits the ground.

I am extremely pissed that they failed and i now have to figure out if i can make the 600 mile ride home or have someone from home come down and pick me and the bike up.

had the slider done its job the bike would still be banged up but my shifter wouldn't be broken and my foot peg wouldn't have broken off.

If you want them just for looks then get them i guess. if you want something that actually works don't waste your money on them.

the mount that the slider attaches to is fine aside from the bolt that holds the slider on being bent.

pics of the failed slider are in the other thread.

Attachments

Last edited:

CrazyCawi

please post the pics here as well. This is very informative to people making new mod purchases.

Flipflash

Elite Member

shocker35

I went down a few weeks ago and they did their job at 20-25mph. I went down in grass though. That may be a contributing factor, even though you would think that the slider would be put to more stress dragging through the dirt that sliding on the asphalt. No one will ever know why is somewhat failed. Glad you're ok man good luck with the repairs.

oorgle

They're FRAME sliders, how's your FRAME?
If the bIke had hit the ground hard enough to damage the frame the sliders still would have failed. Thankfully It didn't. I was Only going 20-30mph and the bike slid about 5 feet. I have a pic from my gopro from 15-20secs before the crash and in it I was doing 19 mph. There was a fair amount of traffic so I didn't get up much more then 30-35 before I went down. Looking at the broken off slider I m pretty sure it would have snapped off even if I had dropped it at a stop. There just isn't enough material there for he bOlt that holds it to keep it there through any kind of Impact

oorgle

please post the pics here as well. This is very informative to people making new mod purchases.
I will post the pics here when I get back to the hotel. I am at the ER now making absolutely sure nothing is broken. I don't think I broke anything but I need to make sure before I decide wether or not to ride the bike to my final destination.
I wish I had a better camera for pics so I could show just how little material there is for the bolt to grab

bleedinblue

Elite Member

pilninggas

Sorry about your off, don't give up on your awesome adventure.

Frame sliders do snap-off they hit a bump or crack or whatever they can shear-off. Remember the actual act of shearing will have dissipated energy, so although the nylon 'mushroom' wearing down would have been preferable it probably mitigated the distance the bike slid along the road.

oorgle

my adventure is pretty much over. sprained my foot and broke a bone in my fore arm. no way i can ride for like 3 weeks.