T Rex Frame Sliders Review

Deathdiesel

Hey guys, been busy with work and whatnot and now am getting the time to review the newest revision of t rexs frame sliders. Ill start with pictures:

As you can see, so far they are completely different in appearance from the other sliders ive seen for our bikes.

Looks: 8.5/10 They look really nice, and feel well built. They offer a customizable little ring, on the far end of the sliders, mine is red as you can see above. My main complaint, is they can show scratches pretty easily, the plastic is a bit soft. But the lines, detail, and little caps all look nice.

Build: 8/10 These are well built, the plates provided are made of 1/2" thick steel, bolts are supposedly the strongest available(they arent grade 8, so thats not 100% true) but they seem like they are strong enough. The standoffs to connect to other smaller bolts, are made of aluminum or a lighter weight steel, and feel strong enough as well. All of this besides the bolts are powder coated black.
My main and chief complaint is on the pucks/sliders themselves, the inner threading isnt super strong. I mistakenly put the brake/right side slider on the left side, and attempted to remove it, and it was awful. The set screw which digs into the aluminum post for the sliders, dug into the aluminum and ate up the threads. This made getting them off extremely difficult, and I did damage the exterior of them a bit, and was NOT ever able to get the threads on the proper side to seat properly again(the inside of the slider threading is plastic). Its rather aggravating, as my brake/right side one is now cross threaded on as far as possible. Im not sure how well that will affect the strength of it in a fall. Reccomended: Go get a dog leash with a D-ring hook on it to install/remove these, you can unscrew the set screw far enough to hook the d ring onto. If it werent for me having one around, I never would have gotten it to seat or get off.(the green strap in one of the pictures above.

Value: 9/10 Besides my one issue with the threading, if you want a set of good looking, strong, quality sliders, these are your best bet. They are steep with shipping and tax, my total bill was USD$86.xx. Im going to figure out how much it is to replace a puck/slider due to the issue with the threading on one above, if its cheap enough, its worth replacing then worrying about it failing.

Would I reccomend it? Sure, they seem well built, look classy, and protect your bike.

Reactions: JSP

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

HotSauce

Good review! I've got the older style T-rex's but love the new tapered puck style...much less "BAM! I'M A FRAME SLIDER!" and much more of a smooth enhancement to protecting the beautiful curves of a bike we've all come to love. Any idea if the pucks are compatible with the old plates? ...might just have to pick some up if they are...

Reactions: JSP

Deathdiesel

I have no idea if they are compatible, these ones have two means of attachment. First you bolt on a large aluminum threaded post, about 1"OD, which the pucks are then screwed onto.

Also talked to T-Rex, pucks are 20$ shipped a piece, not bad at all. Wont be buying immediately due to christmas, but still.

cloudfire

I, too, have the old style T-Rex sliders and put one of them to good use last year about this time. I was a little surprised how much got shaved off going less than 30 mph. I still chose to replace it with another T-Rex though. I do like the new look. Can't justify buying a new set of pucks though.

Maybe if I tried a little too hard to get rid of the last little bit of chicken strips . . .

darksidefz6r

First I will say thanks for the product review. Now I'm not trying to sound like an a$$hole but just wanted to point out an issue I found with your review about the bolt strength. These bolts are metric so there for can not be grade 8. Metric bolts use a slightly different tensile strength "grade" than SAE(standard/usa) bolts so these very well be the strongest "available." Just wanted to clarify for anyone else interested in this product.

pyratio

2014 t-rex sliders

Just picked up a set and they're back to a different type of hockey pucks. they come with t-rex caps and are hollow, but the puck screws into a set of large threaded polymer screws that are bolted to the 1/2 inch plates with a M10x50mm bolts.

Attachments

latony007

Just picked up a set and they're back to a different type of hockey pucks. they come with t-rex caps and are hollow, but the puck screws into a set of large threaded polymer screws that are bolted to the 1/2 inch plates with a M10x50mm bolts.
Those look like the old ones dont they? did you order direct from TREX? i have the tapered ones and they look the best of any slider hands down. And they are solid on the ends so i took small Yamaha logo gel stickers in red (just like the ones on the tank but smaller) and put them on the ends of the sliders.

how do you get the customizable ring?

I was reading on this forum that the trex sliders were pretty bad and shogun was the way to go. Thoughts?

latony007

how do you get the customizable ring?

I was reading on this forum that the trex sliders were pretty bad and shogun was the way to go. Thoughts?
it came when you ordered the sliders you told them what color you wanted the ring. I changed my mind and actually wanted to get red ones but they wanted like $20 for those little rings that cost about 25 cents so i stuck with the black, anyone has red they want to get rid of let me know lol. As for the difference i cant say and i bet it would be hard to find someone who had crashed with both and each crash is different anyway, but they seem really solid to me, i can tell you the brackets and bolts for the "no cut" t-rex will withstand a nuclear blast and the tapered ones look waaay better than the shoguns. Shoguns look, and i think essentially are, long roller skate or skate board wheels, the color fades on them too.

pyratio

the new new version

--Yep I bought them direct from T-rex and they wrote back and said that these were the new models. The old ones had writing out the outside of the puck and these ones use a center cap with writing instead. But these new ones also have the new screw in core so the bolt isn't just holding onto a thin piece of plastic at the end of the puck. They did say these these new ones are replaceable.

I do see last years model still being sold for the R6 though. They didn't give me a reason why they changed the design for FZ6Rs

I asked if I could still buy the old one with the accent ring and put them on my kit.

~p

Those look like the old ones dont they? did you order direct from TREX? i have the tapered ones and they look the best of any slider hands down. And they are solid on the ends so i took small Yamaha logo gel stickers in red (just like the ones on the tank but smaller) and put them on the ends of the sliders.

latony007

--Yep I bought them direct from T-rex and they wrote back and said that these were the new models. The old ones had writing out the outside of the puck and these ones use a center cap with writing instead. But these new ones also have the new screw in core so the bolt isn't just holding onto a thin piece of plastic at the end of the puck. They did say these these new ones are replaceable.

I do see last years model still being sold for the R6 though. They didn't give me a reason why they changed the design for FZ6Rs

I asked if I could still buy the old one with the accent ring and put them on my kit.

~p
hmm, i could swear this is what the original version looked like. strange, i just got mine about 4 months ago. i dont know if you can see them on my avatar picture. Looks like the only diff in putting it on is that the bolt goes through the puck on this one where as mine the puck screws onto the bolt.

pyratio

puck me

--Yep they just changed them out at the end of 2013. I think they use the same plates and same type of thick screw in connector to the polymer piece.

I chose them over the shoguns because they were cheaper, had free shipping, and were made in Texas.

I would've loved the previous design too but alas they don't offer it anymore.

But yep if you go to their site it's now the new hockey pucks. They're not smooth on the outside or on the face anymore. You might be able to see it in my pictures but the face and all round it are tiny little beveled grooves. So when you're twisting it on it'll leave little lines in your hand like you're gripping a the thread of a bolt.

~p

hmm, i could swear this is what the original version looked like. strange, i just got mine about 4 months ago. i dont know if you can see them on my avatar picture. Looks like the only diff in putting it on is that the bolt goes through the puck on this one where as mine the puck screws onto the bolt.

latony007

--Yep they just changed them out at the end of 2013. I think they use the same plates and same type of thick screw in connector to the polymer piece.

I chose them over the shoguns because they were cheaper, had free shipping, and were made in Texas.

I would've loved the previous design too but alas they don't offer it anymore.

But yep if you go to their site it's now the new hockey pucks. They're not smooth on the outside or on the face anymore. You might be able to see it in my pictures but the face and all round it are tiny little beveled grooves. So when you're twisting it on it'll leave little lines in your hand like you're gripping a the thread of a bolt.

~p
yeah now that i am home i can see the pictures death put up to start the post, on my work cpu they didnt show up, and mine are exactly like his except he got the red ring :(

weird they changed them back, makes me think something is wrong with mine, even though they look the best :)

pyratio

the mystery of the ever changing sliders

--Hey latony, I think your sliders are the nicer design too, but I don't think anything is wrong with them.

The new system is pretty much the same under the covers. A big giant screw is bolted to the no cut plates. And that giant screw goes inside of the sliders. I think they changed to this design because it pretty much makes it one solid piece. Whereas their old old design was only held in place with a bolt and a thin piece of plastic at the end of the hockey puck. Some riders have crashed on those and have reported the sliders just broke right off.

They (T-rex) wrote back to me today and let me know that they sold out of that design. My thought was "order more!" =)

If the 2013 design comes back at T-rex I might just order me a set with red accents.

Cheers everyone.

~p

Last edited:

jammer

fitment

Anyone had fitment issues. Got mine today and the 90 mm bolt won't even reach the threads in the case. Also the holes for the engine mount bolts don't seem to line up square.

Bert-Aus

Anyone had fitment issues. Got mine today and the 90 mm bolt won't even reach the threads in the case. Also the holes for the engine mount bolts don't seem to line up square.
Give TRex a call they will sort it out for you

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2