Heineken

Elite Member
Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Great write up!!! :wav:

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Very nice work with the pictoral and write-up! Thanks!!

Here's a tip for springs I learned from roaring toyz... pull the spring on a bench and slip in quarters, washers, etc between coils until it is the right length to install. Then put the spring in place and when you lower the stand (or kickstand), they all will fall out from the expanded spring. :D

Heineken

Elite Member
Last edited:

owldaddy

This looks like a good addition to the FZ6R. I was wondering if anyone using the SW Motec stand had issues with it dragging in the twisties? Any down sides to this product?

DragonBlu

I have not seen any down sides. I have tested it out on my usual mountain favorite roads and have not had any problems. I think it is a well designed product.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Looks good. But it might pose problems for people with the TBR exhaust. Not sure if there would be clearance issues. :don'tknow:

Heineken

Elite Member

owldaddy

Ok, so I bought the SW-Motech center stand. Got it last night by UPS, installed it (Thanks Heineken for the excellent write up) Took the bike up my favorite twisty road today (Priest's Grade, Ca 120) Anyone who knows this road, knows you can get way over on the tires, nice and smooth, well cambered turns. While I did not touch the pegs down, I did get as far over on the stock tires as I think is prudent. My chicken strips are almost nonexistent. Nothing dragged. I'm most pleased with the purchase of this product. A center stand on a bike with a chain is almost a must. In fact I have never owned a bike without a center stand in the past. That being said, sometimes the center stand is the first thing to touch down in a turn. It is also not healthy to do so, as it may lift the rear tire off the asphalt causing a dent in your day. Anyway I just wanted to share this info in case anyone else had some reservations about buying this stand. Good product, well made, and easy to install. It is also easy to get up on the stand. :thumbup:

ctgottapee

yes great right up for the install

it made it look a little bit easier than it was... not necessarily difficult but a bit frustrating trying to get the stand lined up on both sides while keeping greased washers lined up

having a second person around for a bit wouldn't hurt things

ctgottapee

oh, and i used a long socket to get the spring on

the bit end of the socket goes over the small arm you push the spring on, and then a socket extension or just a socket wrench on the other

the spring ends just fit on, put a little wd40 on the socket and it slid right along

a socket extension didn't have a big enough hole on the end to fit over that arm

fz6r marc

does anybody know how many ft-lbs to torque the M10 bolts

the instructions state you may use 46Nm (34 ft-lbs), however in the Yamaha write up (for the Yamaha stand, see the how-to on this forum) he went with 50 ft-lbs. Does anyone know what the correct torque is?

heineken: what did you use.
Thanks

bobski

It looks like the side stand stays on the bike as well as the center stand, correct?

Hoptownky

The side stand makes it easier to use, in my opinion. This is how I do it. I dismount bike with the side stand down. At this point I either leave the side stand down or put it up; just depends. I then ease the bike over and balance it. Then, I push the center stand down with my right foot until it is touching the surface on both sides of the bike and I rest it there for a few seconds while I make sure the front wheel is pointed straight and the bike is stable. At this point, my right foot is still resting on the center stand foot peg. Next, I STEP ON AND PUSH DOWN ON THE SIDE STAND FOOT PEG WITH MY FOOT. The stand uses leverage and lifts/flips the bike up. I only use my hands at this point to steady/guide the bike as it flips up on the stand. I found out not to try and lift or rock the bike back on the stand. I can't dead lift 500 +/- pounds. The stand does the work for me. Once I got the hang of it, I can do it from start to finish in a few seconds very easily. To me, a side stand is essential. There are many instructional videos on YouTube on how to use a side stand. In fact, I must admit that's where I learned.

Last edited:

bobski

Does anybody feel there is anything to recommend the Yamaha OEM stand or the SW Motech, one over the other?