Strangeness with oil capacity...

Half-Click Up

Guys,

Routine oil change, bike level on paddock stands.

I've never made it a habit of checking the dipstick. I've always just poured in 3 quarters of Yamalube and been on my way.

This time, for whatever reason, I decided to check the level on the dipstick and discovered that with 3 quarts the oil was just BARELY on the stick. I figured it must simply need time for the oil to find its way down to the pan, so I waited 5 minutes and checked the stick again.

Waiting for a few minutes did allow the level to come up just a wee bit, but nowhere near the halfway mark. In fact, it wasn't quite 1/4 the way up the stick's level indicator. It took roughly 3.5 quarts to get the level at the halfway mark on the dipstick.

I don't know what to make of this. Thoughts? :confused:

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Half-Click Up

Well it's been several days now. Each day after work I've put her on paddock stands (level) while hot and have checked the oil level after 5 to 10 minutes of sitting there. Still sitting perfectly halfway up the dip stick's high/low range indicator.

I'm still at a loss. It took 3.5 quarts to indicate "half-way."

What does the dipstick indicate for y'all when running exactly 3 quarts? Is it at the very bottom of the stick like it was for me with 3 quarts??

Is this Yamaha's "safety buffer" to insure you don't overfill? I know how retarded that sounds. Just trying to make some sense of it all. :confused:

blkbrd

Elite Member

Half-Click Up

blkbrd yes'ir, she's sitting on a matching set of Venom stands, both tires equally off the ground. I've checked it while on the kickstand as well, and it indicated at the very bottom of the dip stick's range.

I'm running the K&N filter.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member