stocks

CrazyCawi

anyone else delve in individual stocks?

I just bought in on my first stock

AMD

Pretty Excited about it :)

Did tons of research for about 3 months and finally decided to pull the trigger. Lots of crazy things I never knew about like multileg options, covered call, ect.

Share your story, ask your questions, share your hot buy idea's.

bmw675

Careful, especially with options. A good way for someone (especially a novice) to loose their ***. I went to college for it, because its something I enjoy doing.

Currently only in a couple different stocks and mutual funds. This market had had me worried for the last year. Printing money is only going to prop up the market for so long. I think we are about to see a big swing here the rest of the year.

pjmac5

anyone else delve in individual stocks?

I just bought in on my first stock

AMD

Pretty Excited about it :)

Did tons of research for about 3 months and finally decided to pull the trigger. Lots of crazy things I never knew about like multileg options, covered call, ect.

Share your story, ask your questions, share your hot buy idea's.
PC and Laptop market is dead. If gaming works out for AMD, it could go on a run but be prepared to sell if it does. AMD is historically a poorly run company. Good Luck.

Pinarello Rider

PC and Laptop market is dead. If gaming works out for AMD, it could go on a run but be prepared to sell if it does. AMD is historically a poorly run company. Good Luck.
Way to crap on him!! ;)

I have a rollover 401k that I brought with me a few years ago and have invested. Since about 2009, I'm a little short of doubling my investment. My advice is to realize that the stock market is legalized gambling, and don't put anything in there that you'll need in the next couple of years, or can't afford to lose. I don't know that I have a strategy, other than capital retention, so I have tended to track industries and buy divident paying stocks in those industries. The rollover allows me to buy and sell any stocks without tax consequences until I take the money out when I'm much older.

Be prepared to lose your shirt, don't get sentimental, and read the newspaper, especially the business section, for ideas. I have a broker who I run my ideas by, and he throws the professional opinions at me and we decided what to do. He knows my family, me, my wife, and our goals. I trust him. I also let him talk me out of Ford when it was $1.50/share, which I'll never forgive myself for. I ended up buying alot later, at a higher price, but plan to hold onto it for several decades. Mulally is one hell of a business man, and the Ford family has shown a willingness to view their company from a generational standpoint, rather than a quarter to quarter standpoint.

Good luck. Pay attention, and ignore "the headlines". Chances are, by the time the NYT writes about how good the stock is, you've missed the boat.

bmw675

I bought a certain stock back in 2008 or 09 iirc for around $3.30/share. Within a 4 months, it was over $45/share. :eek:

Too bad I jumped out at $5 when I was up about 50%.

Always a "gamble".......

pjmac5

Way to crap on him!! ;)
If he is going to start investing, he might as well get used to it now.

Everything else you said is good advice and you might have missed Ford at $1.50 but you also missed it at $2.00, $4.00, $6.00 on beyond.

Sometimes you just have to grab a handful and go for it, but as you said only bet what you can lose.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

MaximumHP

I too let the pros do most of the work, which luckily for me is free since my Mom worked for Edward Jones. Generally, I think the key is to have the correct balance of risk vs. return for your age, the old “don’t have all your eggs in one basket” scenario. Also don’t impulse buy or sell based on the evening news, usually your best off doing the opposite of what those wack jobs are preaching. “Buy big now, the market is crazy high after this 5 year long bull market”, which is really just ripe for a correction. The market is largely based on human emotion, no computer in the world can predict our screwed up minds, not even the matrix.

CrazyCawi

I stick with my financial advisors I give them ability to move my $$ around as they see fit. considering they do this for a living and watch the market daily.
Not to mention they get paid on YOUR gains lol

CrazyCawi

You have have missed the note that they secured all three consoles for gaming, and also picked up one of the largest shares in micro server technology. Not a big fan of "what the company has done in the past is X"....I did a lot of research and like where the company is GOING not where they had been. Intel and nvidia had market share and are slowly losing it. AMD also has some technology intel themselves don't even have yet, nor the patents. AMD does, and I'm awaiting the run....which has already started from what I've seen. I put in the money as though I didn't even have the money expecting it to be gone, wagering in the fact I hope it grows rather than dwindle.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Pinarello Rider

that goes without saying but its pennies on the dollar when you look at the big picture. they also handle my VUL life insurance / savings & IRA. I trust them so im good with their fee's.

my thing is that I already have enough balls to juggle you keep taking on more and more then you'll be sure to drop one. these guys specialize in that field and one less thing for me to worry about. anyways just my approach.
JT - this isn't to dissuade you from using your broker. The following comment is more of a general interest for folks new to investing and considering a Financial Advisor... There are some things to keep in mind.

I have a good friend who had a financial advisor and long story short, that advisor was picking investments that paid him the highest rates. Think of it as a kickback from the funds themselves. Should anyone go the route of an advisor who makes trades on behalf of the investor, make sure you to do your homework not only the investments being made on your behalf, but also on the relationships between firms. He was losing 1-2% of his returns, on top of the fees the advisor was collecting, because of some unscrupulous behavior.

Just be careful is all.

Reactions: JT

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

The brokers at Bear Stearn did it for a living too. Look how that turned out. Just because someone says they're a professional, don't blindly trust them with your money.
I have a very good relationship with my financial advisor who handled helping me create a budget, coral my student loans appropriate to my income and goals, and who handles my life/disability.

Now when I called her and set a meeting up for the stock stuff, she sat down with me. I was thinking we were going to sit down, I explain what I want, and she buys and sells, or has her direct broker from her firm do it for me(She owns the financial firm and funds through Western Mutual). But she told me, and these are her exact words "I can do this for you, but you will be setting up a brokerage account, and you will incur fee's and commissions on your trading, that will surmount to more loss of your profit than if you set up your own account and buy/sell yourself." So she sat down and coached me on how to buy and sell, terms, and what to look for for a few hours.

I was surprised, but thats why I trust her, even though it may make her more money, thats not her focus. Her focus has always seemed to be driven to helping guide me to my goals.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

yfz6r

It's true that they are in the gaming consoles. Problem with that is they aren't making much money off that. Nvidia declined because there would not be enough profit due to the low chip costs demanded by the companies. But as these chips get easier to make it will hopefully bring better margins to amd. Nevertheless I think amd will be a solid investment for the time being.

I'll be supporting you when I get a laptop with the newer a-10 APU processor later this year. And I may upgrade the old 4850 to a 7870 in the desktop soon.

pjmac5

You have have missed the note that they secured all three consoles for gaming, and also picked up one of the largest shares in micro server technology. Not a big fan of "what the company has done in the past is X"....I did a lot of research and like where the company is GOING not where they had been. Intel and nvidia had market share and are slowly losing it. AMD also has some technology intel themselves don't even have yet, nor the patents. AMD does, and I'm awaiting the run....which has already started from what I've seen. I put in the money as though I didn't even have the money expecting it to be gone, wagering in the fact I hope it grows rather than dwindle.
Nothing missed at all. Bad management can screw-up a nice wet dream. Over the years, AMD has had a technology advantage only to screw it up. What I missed in your explanation, was anything in regards to AMD's balance sheet. How much cash do the have? Do you know that their bonds trade at 75 cents on the dollar...why? AMD was actually a possible BK candidate several month ago. The move in the stock coincides with them securing a credit facility to keep the company alive. Like I said...hopefully management can execute on gaming in the short run so you can make some money, but I wouldn't bet on this company for the long-term.