stock exhaust - drill holes at the bottom of muffler - mod question?

newnovice

stock exhaust - drill holes at the bottom of muffler - mod question?

when i went to the muffler guy todat to get the stock exhaust mod[http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/mod-stock-exhaust-15987/index12.html] done - he suggested if all i want is noise... just drill some holes at the bottom of the muffler and not mess with the exhaust ending and welding n stuff....

any thoughts... lemme know if anyone recommends this or has tried this ?

thanks in advance !

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Merc250r

Not to mention it would sound like crap .
Look at the pictures in album on what is inside the muffler ; Yamaha FZ6R Forums - International FZ6R / XJ6 Motorcycle Community Forum - yellowfz's Album: Yellow FZ
This one ; Yamaha FZ6R Forums - International FZ6R / XJ6 Motorcycle Community Forum - yellowfz's Album: Yellow FZ - Picture shows the pipe that leads out to the chrome tip (upper right) and you can see why the mod works , show this to the muffler guy he will understand then , maybe.
you say it works? but it sounds like crap? Was tempted to drill to small holes on the bottom

CDN6R

holes in muffler, instant inspection fail...

only reason I know that people are doing it the other way.
I agree with Dart on this one. Drilling holes in the bottom of the muffler cavity will be pretty obvious when inspection time comes. Drilling a hole on the inside of the muffler cavity through the stock exhaust hole is much more stealithy and you will pass the inpection.....as long as the hole is not way to big. Laurie

Roaddawg

Either do the "5 minute free" exhaust mod or cut and weld mod. You'll be more than happy with that. But, drilling little holes in the exhaust box is just silly. You can listen to us on the forum here that have actually done the mod or some guy at the shop who hasn't done it....

newnovice

AWESOME GOT MY ANSWER !!!!

thanks alot...... am gonna do the 5min exhaust mod of drilling holes + the cut the tip and add a bigger outlet mod :D !!!

thanks a lot everyone....