still making Pilot Road 2's?

S

SkyOrDie

What's Michelin's deal with having both PR2's and PR3's on the market at the same time? At first it seemed like the PR3's were a replacement model for the 2's, but haven't the 3's been out for several years now? My concern is can you get a fresh set of PR2's or were they all manufactured years ago and they're just selling off the old stock? The wet vs dry traction and 25 bucks price difference don't matter to me as much as getting a fresh set.

Also, does anyone know what happened with this old thread about the PR3's delaminating? Michelin Pilot Road 3 are here!!!!!! - Page 8 - Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum
Was it a one-off problem or is it a concern?

Thanks,
Stan

BKP

PR3's came out just last year (2011).

Just put a "fresh" set of PR2's on my bike. Love 'em. I chose the 2's over the 3's because the 3's give you slightly better wet traction, but in exchange, the 2's give you better longevity.

Since the wet traction on the 2's is excellent anyway, I chose longevity... Only have about 600 miles on them so far, so I'll post a report at 4 or 5k.

S

SkyOrDie

I'd get PR2's also, but only if they were fresh. I don't commute on this bike, so I get to pick when I ride. The odds of getting caught in the rain are slim in SoCal.

So, BKP, if you get a chance, would you post the date codes on the PR2's you just put on and the vendor? It's a 4 digit number, 2 for the week and 2 for the year of manufacture.

The guy in the linked article posted the delaminated PR3 photos in June of 2011. He said he had 10,000 miles on them, so I thought they had to have been available for awhile. I'm still wondering whether they had 2 years of PR2's in inventory or are still making new ones.

Thanks,
Stan

BKP

No problem.

1312 for the rear.
0712 for the front.

I took pics of the numbers, if you need it validated, but they came out a little funky...

Bought them from Motorcycle Superstore two months ago, and had them installed last month (from one of their recommended installers for $40 for the set, complete - and that included removing and replacing, and balancing the wheels -- did a great job -- except I had to re-tension the chain. 1/2" slack that the installer did wasn't working for me... :eek:).

BKP

The guy in the linked article posted the delaminated PR3 photos in June of 2011. He said he had 10,000 miles on them, so I thought they had to have been available for awhile.
Actually, the Pilot Road 3 slipped from its original ship date of March 2011, to June, so I'm not sure how the guy could have put 10k on them by the end of June. I've read LOTS of comments about that claim, as well as a couple of articles debunking his claims, not the least of which pointed out that his tires, or what was left of them, looked so new, as to appear to still have release compound on them.

Jury is still out with me on that. My biggest problem was figuring out what he was doing following his GF/wife so closely, and her apparently so oblivious of it, that he would end up THROUGH her rear window when his tires de-lammed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

S

SkyOrDie

Good, so they're still making new PR2's! That's good to know although I don't understand what Michelin is doing. They have 2 very similar tires competing with each other.

The delaminated tire in the story was manufactured in August of 2010, so I thought the 3's had been out longer. Come to think of it, how does a factory go from zero to 10,000 units per month? You don't want to run out when they go on the market, so I guess they sit there and crank out some inventory first.

I also read the comments to the story. Whether or not all of it was true, this seems to be an isolated incident, so I wouldn't mind putting either tire on my bike.