Sprocket change

Lefty

OK, so I just got my 15 tooth sprocket and I'm going to head out in the garage soon, I never did a sprocket change before and I know it's suppose to be easy, but what's involved or is it just straight forward? Also, what's the torque setting to tighten it?

Sometimes I get into these mods thinking they're easy and straight forward but then it turns out to be a headache and confusion.

Cheers.

Lefty

Just found on this site the torque setting for the front sprocket:

- front sprocket 61 ft lbs

Very cool! Time to grab the iPod and a couple of beers and head out to the garage.

raybob

It'll be a piece of cake. If you know enough to ask for the torque setting, you'll be done in under an hour.

Bob

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Lefty

I tried and tried and I can't get the damn nut off. I had the wife hold the front and rear brakes and I still couldn't get it off. I'm going to drop over to my friend's house this week and see if his impact wrench can get it off.

Like I said in my original post, ...headache and confusion.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Lefty

Ya, there's red loc-tite on it already (from the factory) which is why it's really hard to get off. When you say 'lock the nut' what do you mean?

Cheers.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

ScottM

I also had trouble also getting the nut off. Got the wife sitting on the bike stomping on the back brake and sayin " I guess your not strong enough".

I told her to shut the f*** up and I hit the end of my 1/2 inch rachet handle with a rubber hammer and it eventually came loose.

I hate asking her for help.

Hellgate

I also had trouble also getting the nut off. Got the wife sitting on the bike stomping on the back brake and sayin " I guess your not strong enough".

I told her to shut the f*** up and I hit the end of my 1/2 inch rachet handle with a rubber hammer and it eventually came loose.

I hate asking her for help.
Too funny.

I put new chain and sprockets on my FZ1 a couple weeks ago. It still had the orginal set that was put on when the bike was built in Jan of 2006. I started with my 1/4" socket and a cheater, no luck. Then my manual impact wrench, bang! bang! bang!, no luck. Off to Northern Tool get a 1/2" breaker and a three foot pipe, no luck. I'm pissed at this point. Back to Northern Tool for an electric impact wrench. ZAP! That nut was off in 2 seconds.

Oh well...