SportRider Mag. Ignoring Our Girl

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Rookasaki

In the April 2012 issue of SportRider Magazine, they reviewed the Ninja 650.

They had this to say about it (pg 60 2nd to last paragraph):
"With the Suzuki SV650 (and its ill-fated Gladius successor) dropping off the 2012 landscape, the Kawasaki Ninja 650 now remains as the sole choice of over 250cc motorcycles suitable for novice riders from the Japanese manufacturers."

WOW! They just out right ignored our girl!! Designed to be good for beginners but still entertaining for experienced riders.
wow, I did remember reading that! I've been a subscriber for 2 years, I'm going to write them and throw a shout out for the FZ6R! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member
Last edited:

Alex6

In the April 2012 issue of SportRider Magazine, they reviewed the Ninja 650.

They had this to say about it (pg 60 2nd to last paragraph):
"With the Suzuki SV650 (and its ill-fated Gladius successor) dropping off the 2012 landscape, the Kawasaki Ninja 650 now remains as the sole choice of over 250cc motorcycles suitable for novice riders from the Japanese manufacturers."

WOW! They just out right ignored our girl!! Designed to be good for beginners but still entertaining for experienced riders.
Is it possible the authors don't think the FZ6R is '... suitable for novice riders ...' ? I wouldn't lose my sleep over this fact.

Detrich

At 475 lbs, the 6r weighs more than a liter sport bike though. In some ways it's good, but in some ways it's also bad.

A novice 125 lb female rider will have a much more difficult time pushing the 6R around than say a sub 400 lb Ninja 250... :(

But, for those of us who learned on the 6R & got used to 475 lbs, the upgrade to a 450 lb liter bike should be much easier, maybe? :)

Spunky99

At 475 lbs, the 6r weighs more than a liter sport bike though. In some ways it's good, but in some ways it's also bad.

A novice 125 lb female rider will have a much more difficult time pushing the 6R around than say a sub 400 lb Ninja 250... :(

But, for those of us who learned on the 6R & got used to 475 lbs, the upgrade to a 450 lb liter bike should be much easier, maybe? :)
My Triumph 955i weighs 493.8 lb wet....sounds like a pig huh?
The FZ6R is 470 lb wet.....pretty heavy for a 600cc....
BMW 1000RR is 458 lb wet.....yikes
R1 is 454 lb wet...wowser
CBR 1000RR is 441 lb wet...OMG

So about 24 lbs more on the Triumph than the Fz6R really didn't make any difference to me plus the center of gravity is lower on the 955i (due to the 3 cyl configuration) and narrower too so when I lean it over, it feels lighter than the FZ6R. What really made a difference in the feel is this:
Engine size 955cc
Power 147bhp
Top speed 165mph
and that's stock...I have a race can, K&N air cleaner and a dyno map......
I don't think I will ever really know what the top speed is.......but the speedo goes to 180 mph......

Going to a liter bike really feels the same as the FZ6R until you try WOT...
Now that's brutal...My son was on the back and said it was like Grand Theft Auto when you crack open the Nitrous Oxide bottle and everything gets really blurry....ya..just like that!:eek:

Last edited:

Detrich

Good observations.

I was just saying that the 50+ lb weight difference will be very noticeable for new riders- esp for females when needing to push the bike in & out of the garage when parking etc.

And, that's why it's not quite the same as a starter bike like the Ninja 250, which is very light.

Spunky99

Good observations.

I was just saying that the 50+ lb weight difference will be very noticeable for new riders- esp for females when needing to push the bike in & out of the garage when parking etc.

And, that's why it's not quite the same as a starter bike like the Ninja 250, which is very light.
LOL....I didn't think about the pushing part.....
Try pushing a barely sub 500 lb bike up any incline...lol.....

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

KeysRider3

Kawi dropped the "R" designation on the Ninja 650 this year, and it's still a parallel twin. At 649cc it may be a better fit for a novice rider than a 599cc in-line four as there's more room for throttle and brake mistakes. However, the 6R has something to offer for every level rider, and I don't think a new rider who has a chance to ride both bikes will choose the twin. I laughed when I read Sport Rider's assertion that the Kawi was the "sole choice of over 250cc motorcycles suitable for novice riders from the Japanese manufacturers." So, yeah, SR either forgot about he 6R, or doesn't consider it appropriate for novice riders!

Last edited:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Rookasaki

WOW!! :eek: I got an email today from Kent @ sportrider mag. The letter I emailed to the editor on this issue is going to be in the june issue of theirs.. They are sending me a free AVG perforated leather jacket...... Gotta really start working out to re-lose some weight a the standard size options I dont think would fit me. :(

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
Sweet! way to go brother! How could they forget the 6R... What did your letter say?

JSP

Super Moderator
That's awesome! Let us know what the words are so we can look for em! You guys still getting ur free mags? I'm still getting that and motorcyclist I think It is.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
My Letter**

Their reply that I received today. I will post what they say in the mag. when it is received.

For what Jay said.. I dont have it free :( I had already subscribed to them and motorcyclist for like 4 years worth of prepay.. Now I have another yr of motorcyclist because I signed up for BikeBandit podium club.. Mostly for the shipping and the damage/theft coverage w/ copy of police report.

I will just need to see if I can pay the diff. to get a diff. leather jacket like the Topanga or Willow. Unfortunately I am too fat right now for the Sport Canyon to fit. I am working my butt off to lose weight and have already lost 5lb in the last 2 weeks, but I want something I could use, not just pack in the closet.

edit: hmm for some reason my copy/paste pulls words and lines together, not spacing properly.
That's great! Thanks for sticking up for the fz!

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Fizzer6R

that's awesome!... and another forum member had pics of them riding, was it motorcyclist?