Sometimes, I Miss It

buzzbomb

Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

BoneJj

It's odd. I often talk about a lot of my military experience. Especially with vets, because we understand each other.

However, I most hate to talk about my military experience with vets, because of some of the other memories it brings forth.

So, I mostly don't talk about it, unless I'm drinking, and then there's still some stuff I won't talk about. Brooding in my beer, as they say. Don't get me wrong. I'm proud of my service, and I've done a ridiculous amount of cool things that most will never imagine.

That's kind of the extent of my usual conversation, though. The cool things, and how there's more, but I won't talk about it.

I'm not sure why I wrote this, but it means enough to me to actually post it. For those who care, my first posting after AIT was in Panama, for Operation Just Cause. Then some time at Fort Lewis. Then off to Saudi, for Operations Desert Shield and Storm. Then a short stint at Fort Lewis again, then off to South Korea, to a place called Wonju. Then the Army didn't need me anymore. Phased out MOS - I could choose kitchen, infantry, or get out. Honestly, by that point, I was ready to get out.

When things started happening again, in the Middle East, I wanted to rejoin, to be back with my brothers and sisters. To be with them when the shit hit the fan. To be there and protect them, take the hits with them, teach them how we could survive, and even enjoy the experience. I was a single dad by then, though. I had other responsibilities.

There are days that I miss it, the brotherhood in arms. I guess this is one of them, or I wouldn't be posting this.
I couldn't have said it better. Granted my times are different than your but it's all basically the same.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

RooKie

It's the funny, the further away it gets, the more and more I like to talk about it. I constantly slip into all my funny stories from those days with my friends etc., but at the same time I always have the sense that the people I'm talking to don't "get it."
That's exactly how I feel. The only people I can really talk about military stuff with is my other Marine friends. Aside from that it's hard to tell stories w/o having to give some explanation as to why things are funny or spelling out acronyms. You just gotta be in the know, you know?

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Fizzer6R

it a great life experience that can only be talked about so much and isn't the same unless you've done it yourself. small military world, did 1 year in korea (osan) and 3 months (after all the fun) Desert Calm.

when started i intended to do 20, then of course things change and got out after 8. miss a lot of aspects, but still don't think would've done more than 12 since i was already getting tired of not being able to stay in one place for too long

Spunky99

I joined the Army way back in 1974 because I wanted to give back to my country some of the blessings that I had been given growing up in one of the richest areas of The US and CA. What I found was a transitional Army from old to the new. They transitioned out of open barracks to 4 man quads just as I got out and most of the older officers and enlisted personnel were Vietnam combat veterans. I swore an oath to uphold the US Constitution which will never expire and keep that oath to this day.
What I see now are soldiers expected to obey a President and break that oath because they are ordered to do it. US soldiers forced to wear the blue helmet of the UN. Soldiers that would have gladly followed their leaders into Hell with a can of gas strapped to their backs who now are forced to do the bidding of a politician who never was in the military and doesn't like servicemen and never held a regular job in his life.
I loved the military and my Brothers in arms but I would not serve in today's Army that continues the legacy of Vietnam by involvement in illegal wars not approved or sanctioned by Congress. I'm not saying Iraq, Libya and Afghanistan didn't need combat troops but it's either a war or it's not and the half assed rules of engagement shackles our troops and not only demoralizes them but gets them killed. Libya has advisors on the ground and support without any approval by Congress as stated in the US Constitution.
My Son wants to join the Marines as an Officer and is in MCJROTC and I'm hoping for a change so that he isn't sent into a situation where his life is sacrificed just to appease some potentate's need for power or for some religious issue. Here is a quote from "Final Days" attributed to Henry Kissinger,
"In Haig's presence, Kissinger referred pointedly to military men as 'dumb, stupid animals to be used' as pawns for foreign policy." At no other time in US history have our troops in foreign countries been disarmed prior to a visit by a US President. That right there speaks volumes......

Last edited:

buzzbomb

Elite Member
Last edited:

6R Blackout

I am not in the Military, but I want to thank all of you for your service, wether active or retired! My father is a Vietnam vet and I make it a point to try and thank service men and woman. Thank you for making us a free and wonderful country to live in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!

Spunky99

The vows that we take upon enlisting make the Commander of our Armed Forces that same politician that we generally hate. It's usually a given, that that same politician has never seen military duty. Those same vows to uphold our Constitution also make us beholden to a Congress of politicians.

I didn't join for those guys. I didn't serve for those guys. I had to bend to their rules (mostly) but they're not why I did it. I doubt they're why you did it, either.

Those of us who choose to serve, do so out of a sense of love and duty, politicians be damned. We all go in young, and cannot choose our historical time of service. The very Constitution, and people we protect mean that it will be a relatively thankless, misunderstood undertaking. Especially in the time frame that you undertook it.

Nowadays, we are extremely fortunate that so many of the people we chose to protect, appreciate what we've done. It wasn't so during your time in the military. I can wish it was, but it wasn't.

I could wish our racial memory were longer and that as a society, we could learn from the mistakes of the past. We didn't. People are human, politicians are politicians, and the Constitution has not changed.

If your son decides to join the United States Marines Corps he will be part of something greater than himself and this Country. You know that. Simply by joining, he becomes more than the rest of us who are currently civilian.

He's going to go places he shouldn't be. He's going to do things he shouldn't have to do. That's what it's about. That's why we did it, because most won't. The politicians will have their way, and they'll put your son in stupid places at stupid times. He knows all that. I personally, am proud, just to know that the children of veterans, knowing what they know, are still willing to serve.

EDIT: The edit is for you, Spunky. My son is eleven. I put myself into your shoes, and it's so scary, it hurts. But I think you've got to let the boy do what he's called to do. Regardless of how much it hurts. Be proud of him and support whatever decision he makes. Give him all the information you can, to help him make his decision. Guide him, but don't let your paternal love, and personal experience drive a wedge between the two of you.

If he's got a military calling, he simply won't be happy unless he does it. My parents were flower children. Seriously. I've pictures of me as a child with long hair, bell bottom jeans, sandals, a leather vest... They couldn't stop me from joining. It was something I had to do. So they supported me, as best as they were able. It made a world of difference to me, since I was going to do it anyway, to know that they loved me and even though they disagreed, they supported my decision.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is not like riding motorcycles. Don't let your own experiences dictate what your son should do. It's just my opinion, and I'm opinionated. But I've learned to respect you and wish the best for you and yours.
Ha....yes....I was the same way and still am...I think for myself right or wrong and NO ONE will ever be able to talk me out of something I have decided to do. My Son is the same way. I guess I started it by getting him involved in airsoft. Hardcore airsoft against the Marines at Camp Pendleton and other places where they actually transport you to the fields in Humvees and APCs and deuce n a halfs and 5 quarter transport vehicles.
If he joins, I will support his decision and he knows that. I'm the one that does his haircut every week......politics aside, you are right about the reasons we have for joining.

deputydog

Never really thought of it until I started reading this post: but I never talk about my service time to anyone other than a couple old vets I know. I got out in 76 due to a disagreement between me and the government. I couldn't continue to serve an institution that screwed with people the way the Army did. I still got an honorable discharge and a couple of ribbons, but the experience I got was worth it all. It lead me to my work in law enforcement amd still helps with a lot of my decisions to this day.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Roaddawg

The vows that we take upon enlisting make the Commander of our Armed Forces that same politician that we generally hate. It's usually a given, that that same politician has never seen military duty. Those same vows to uphold our Constitution also make us beholden to a Congress of politicians.

I didn't join for those guys. I didn't serve for those guys. I had to bend to their rules (mostly) but they're not why I did it. I doubt they're why you did it, either.

Those of us who choose to serve, do so out of a sense of love and duty, politicians be damned. We all go in young, and cannot choose our historical time of service. The very Constitution, and people we protect mean that it will be a relatively thankless, misunderstood undertaking. Especially in the time frame that you undertook it.

Nowadays, we are extremely fortunate that so many of the people we chose to protect, appreciate what we've done. It wasn't so during your time in the military. I can wish it was, but it wasn't.

I could wish our racial memory were longer and that as a society, we could learn from the mistakes of the past. We didn't. People are human, politicians are politicians, and the Constitution has not changed.

If your son decides to join the United States Marines Corps he will be part of something greater than himself and this Country. You know that. Simply by joining, he becomes more than the rest of us who are currently civilian.

He's going to go places he shouldn't be. He's going to do things he shouldn't have to do. That's what it's about. That's why we did it, because most won't. The politicians will have their way, and they'll put your son in stupid places at stupid times. He knows all that. I personally, am proud, just to know that the children of veterans, knowing what they know, are still willing to serve.

EDIT: The edit is for you, Spunky. My son is eleven. I put myself into your shoes, and it's so scary, it hurts. But I think you've got to let the boy do what he's called to do. Regardless of how much it hurts. Be proud of him and support whatever decision he makes. Give him all the information you can, to help him make his decision. Guide him, but don't let your paternal love, and personal experience drive a wedge between the two of you.

If he's got a military calling, he simply won't be happy unless he does it. My parents were flower children. Seriously. I've pictures of me as a child with long hair, bell bottom jeans, sandals, a leather vest... They couldn't stop me from joining. It was something I had to do. So they supported me, as best as they were able. It made a world of difference to me, since I was going to do it anyway, to know that they loved me and even though they disagreed, they supported my decision.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is not like riding motorcycles. Don't let your own experiences dictate what your son should do. It's just my opinion, and I'm opinionated. But I've learned to respect you and wish the best for you and yours.
Very well said. I served 10 years in the Air Force as an aircrew member, flying all over the world. Those were some of my best and worst times of my life. I don't ever regret serving and still miss some aspects of it, but I do enjoy being home every night with my family now.

I have two boys. My oldest (almost 16) has always talked about going into the military....specifically he wants to be a Marine sniper. I would be completely honored for him to join the military, but if I could only convince him to go in as an officer. Not only for the better pay, treatment....but, he's a strong, natural leader and someone I would be proud to serve for. If only I can convince him to get college done first... he's hardheaded, but I'm working on it. I was enlisted as were/are many of my family members. My family and my wife's family are full of veteran's. All our grandfathers are WWII vets, our fathers both Vietnam vets and myself. My wife's sister and brother-in-law are still active duty Navy. So, you can see we have proud American roots. It's not an easy lifestyle, but one to be proud of.