Slipping clutch?

cjmaverickg

Yesterday I went ahead and changed out the spark plugs, I know a little late, at 10,500 miles, after accomplishing that which went far smoother than I was expecting it to I get on the freeway later last night and at about 70 MPH in 5th Gear I gave it full throttle and the RPM's Red Lined then came back down when the clutch engaged. Thought to myself that was probably a one time thing but maybe not since it did it again this morning on the way to work. I haven't adjusted the clutch in a couple thousand miles, I'm not sure if that's what would cause it to slip a bit? Anyone ever have this issue or something similar? Also, any guides on adjusting the clutch because I'm tired of taking it to the shop since I have time now.

SixRFixR

If you have proper free play at the lever and it did this, there's an issue with your clutch plates. They're either worn thin, contaminated with car oil or something like that. Proper free play is 10 to 15mm measured at the outer end of a stock lever.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

cjmaverickg

That's what it was. I adjusted it and now it's running well. Found that sweet spot to make the gear changes nice and smooth. I can definitely tell the cable is stretched from when it was new but still not bad. Thank you!

ogchillen

Clutch Slipping

So hey guys I'm still new this is my first bike 2013 Fz6r I recently had clutch slippage I went to the stealership and they told me that it would cost 500$ to fix. So I went and got a barber clutch kit friction fibers and metal plates and a workshop manual. When I took the clutch apart the fibers were black but weren't worn too bad and the plates were fine, no warping. After I installed the new fibers and plates the clutch lever had no pressure to it meaning it wouldn't spring back to its original position m. So long story short I took the clutch back apart double check everything got the tension back on the clutch cable and my clutch is still slipping it feel more power riding the bike now then I did before the instal help :troll:

Rumpig

Have you tried adjusting the cable tensioner where it attached to the clutch lever on the handle bars, wind it in or out to adjust.

ogchillen

Have you tried adjusting the cable tensioner where it attached to the clutch lever on the handle bars, wind it in or out to adjust.
Yes I'm not sure If have it correct though ... the stealership told me that it should have the width of a credit card gap from being all the way loose

Last edited:
This nothing to do with adjusting, but did you soak the new fiber discs before installing them? Best practice is at least 4hrs but overnight is not bad either.

~ snip ~
Too much freeplay causes slipping and too tight causes problems disengaging gears. /~snip
FWIW and its an older post but that seems backwards...

Too much freeplay and the likely result is the clutch will not fully disengage if at all.

Too little free play or none and you may be disengaging the cluth ever so slightly and cause it to slip (bad).

With stock levers the release point in case one would be near the grip. In case two would be further out like as soon as the lever moves a small amount the clutch would begin disengagement.

Find the happy spot and don't fry the clutch!

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

ogchillen

This nothing to do with adjusting, but did you soak the new fiber discs before installing them? Best practice is at least 4hrs but overnight is not bad either.
Fiber discs got soaked over night ... I tried playing with the adjustment on the lever and it's slipping at 7000 rpm no matter what gear it also it fully disengages closer to the grips

Last edited:

Superzoom

Fiber discs got soaked over night ... I tried playing with the adjustment on the lever and it's slipping at 7000 rpm no matter what gear it also it fully disengages closer to the grips
Did you replace your clutch springs? They may be too weak.

Are you using proper motorcycle oil? Automotive oil has additives that cause a clutch to slip.

Just wanted to make sure you've checked the basics.

ogchillen

Did you replace your clutch springs? They may be too weak.

Are you using proper motorcycle oil? Automotive oil has additives that cause a clutch to slip.

Just wanted to make sure you've checked the basics.

Yes Barnett clutch kit came with new springs And the oil I used was Mobil 1 10w - 40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesnt the R have a mechanical adjustment for the rod on the left side? The rod that pushes on the clutch pack? If too long (adjusted wrong), it would cause this and if not corrected, new clutch kit will be ruined.

Look in the manual on how to adjust. 2004 to 2009 FZ6 is not the same and I have no hands on experience on the 6R. It likely needs less than a mm of free play and you should be OK.

Do you have an FSM or maybe an owners manual has it too.

ogchillen

Doesnt the R have a mechanical adjustment for the rod on the left side? The rod that pushes on the clutch pack? If too long (adjusted wrong), it would cause this and if not corrected, new clutch kit will be ruined.

Look in the manual on how to adjust. 2004 to 2009 FZ6 is not the same and I have no hands on experience on the 6R. It likely needs less than a mm of free play and you should be OK.

Do you have an FSM or maybe an owners manual has it too.

The adjustment is on the inside

The adjustment is on the inside

How is it checked and how is it adjusted it?

If too long/no free play - it causes this problem. It needs to have free play. i.e. if between it and the actuator on the left side (Item #26 here) 2012 FZ6R - FZ6RBCW Yamaha Motorcycle CRANKCASE COVER 1 Diagram and Parts

# 26, COVER, GENERATOR 2, PN: 20S-15425-10-00

If there is no free play, you have effectively disengaged the clutch. Yours obviously is holding to a point but likely could be improved upon.

If your NEW discs are thinner and you assemble the clutch and that ROD has NO FREE PLAY - your clutch will slip.

Section 2-6 of the FZ6R FSM doesn't list how much free play to give that rod but it must have some and makes no obvious reference to adjusting it in the specifications sections (I have a scanned copy not searchable PDF).

Here is the rod and clutch assembly:
2012 FZ6R - FZ6RBCW Yamaha Motorcycle CLUTCH Diagram and Parts

EDIT: Page 5-55 of the 2009 FSM says to adjust nut at clutch until lever and housing marks align. Do your marks align? If you make slack in your cable the lever on the case should have free movement before it takes up tension. Does it?

Last edited:

Had slack.
Still slips or ??

Lets keep this really cryptic so no one knows the solution. :eek: :spank: