Shorty levers ?

sti491

Shorty levers... Custom cut OEM style!

I have read about and shopped these, but never used them. They are not cheap for good ones.

I frequently ride using a two finger brake and clutch actuation. I also alternate between winter and summer gloves frequently this time of year in NC. With my winter gloves all is good. With summer gloves it's easy to bump my ring finger on my left hand that remains on the grip, when 2-fingering the clutch. I can be careful, and also a bit awkwardly spread my ring finger and pinky out a bit toward the bar end. It's sort of like the Mr Spock Vulcan Live Long & Prosper deal though, not super comfy, at least with my arthritis.

Also, my son just added a radial master cylinder that included a new brake lever to his 2000 SV650. It's not a shorty, but it is gloss black. With our bikes parked next to each other, you can see how much my better Raven would look with black (and smaller) levers. But looks are secondary here regarding my question.

What I am thinking is to cut my current OEM levers to the length I like for my hands, then grind/file/sand the ends to a shape I like, and paint them. Worse case I don't like them for some reason, and I buy new ones.

Has anyone done this? Can you think of a reason I should not do this? Look forward to your views. SEE FINISHED PICS AT END>>>

Last edited:

MrFrzZ

Can you think of a reason I should not do this? Look forward to your views.
If you plan on tracking the bike, the track day organizer may not allow you to use them without a "ball" on the end of the lever. This would really be the only think I could think of. That or making the metal slightly brittle with the heat of grinding, but I doubt it would affect it that much.

sti491

Thank you. I’ve been thinking about this since I posted this morning. I might try to cut a short piece out and weld the ball back on. Then file and smooth it, paint it black. It would look better that way probably too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrFrzZ

Thank you. I’ve been thinking about this since I posted this morning. I might try to cut a short piece out and weld the ball back on. Then file and smooth it, paint it black. It would look better that way probably too.

Aren't they cast? Might be tricky to weld back on.

sti491

Aren't they cast? Might be tricky to weld back on.
I am partly done. I decided to to cut it, pin it, and JB Weld it instead (epoxy). I have has very good results with JB Weld previously. Actually, I used a cut off screw for the pin, which threaded itself perfectly and clamped the glue FTW!

I'm waiting for it to fully cure over night. I will do the final shaping, paint prep and paint tomorrow. I went with more of a 3 finger length to give me some flexibility. If I like it, I'll do the brake to match.

Thanks again.

Attachments

adazine

Premium Member

sti491

Wow those are dirt cheap! I was looking at $150-$175. Since I have paint, and tools, doing what I'm doing is free, less my time and enjoyment!

I figured I'd see if I could do it. If I messed up I'd just buy something like this. I still might.

How many fingers can you get on the clutch with gloves on? What size gloves do you wear?

TN6R

A lot of guys get those less expensive levers and the only complaints I've really seen or heard of is color fading, but a 1000 grit sanding and some quality DTM paint and clear and they'll never fade again. I picked up a set of these myself and love them. Nice factory fit, smooth operation and easy install.

Besides that, you've done some pretty awesome work there on those factory levers. I'd paint them up and call it a day!

MZS Levers

adazine

Premium Member

sti491

Those are a good buy for sure.

The forecast is crappy here for a few days, so i"ll probably get both levers done before riding. I was going to make my clucth 2- finger with winter gloves on, but decided on three for a bit more room. Can't wait till they are done and back on the bike.

Friday my custom shaped Techspec snake skin tank pads arrive. Man, I can't wait. I love my the ones on my son's bike. Even if you are not hanging your butt off in the corners (I don't do much), they are comfy and warmer on cold days. The plus for me on the Raven is, while I like the black and red paint scheme, I don't like the grey swirly design that accompanies the rest, especially on the tank. These will cover that nicely! Can't wait.

Last edited:

sti491

Well, I went ahead and went full kustom to fit to my hands. After Vince telling me he bought some nice shorties on E-bay for $20 (the ones I looked at were $170), not sure I'd recommend doing this. It took some time. I like the way they came out though.

When I showed them to my son he said, "Wow, really look good Pops. But when you low side it, they will probably snap off and stab you in the heart". Nice kid. If I low side, the levers will be the least of my worries, LOL.

Again, not a mod I'd recommend based on bang for the buck vs replacements, but I am very happy with the finished product. I have no concern about the pinned (screwed) epoxy ends holding. Held a Peugeot engine case together with some once and it held for ten-thousands of miles before I sold it. They could fail where I drilled them for the aesthetics, but they seem strong. I tried to bend/break them with my hands. The drilled levers won the battle.

I do really like the look and being satin black on my Raven. Makes the aluminum-silver stockers look like salad spoons!

Attachments

Last edited:

MrFrzZ

When I showed them to my son he said, "Wow, really look good Pops. But when you low side it, they will probably snap off and stab you in the heart". Nice kid. If I low side, the levers will be the least of my worries, LOL.
This made me LOL at work.

They look good! nice job on them. If you DO lowside, just remember to hit the ejection button and LET GO lol. Should be clear of any shrapnel. ;)

sti491

Yep!

It's funny what you think about and don't think about in a crash... I only have had one serious accident, that my friend was an eye witness to riding behind me on his Norton Commando. If not for him telling me later, I never would know what caused the accident.

We were roaring up a freeway entrance ramp, me in front. It was a foggy morning. I looked over my left shoulder and did not see any traffic as I was banging through the gears probably going 60 or so, still accelerating, when it felt like Reggie Jackson hit my helmet with a baseball bat. Home run!

Next thing I know I'm sliding down the freeway, bike still between my legs with my hands in the air. It was like slow motion, for an instant. I saw the guard rail coming. So what did I do?... I put my right hand down, to slow me down I suppose... intuition, not rational thought. Hand felt real hot, then I hit the guard rail.

Crushed my 4th and 5th left foot metatarsals because I did not have MC boots on, when my shoe wrapped around the foot peg under the bike. All ll I could say to the ambulance guys was how much my hand hurt. In that split instant the concrete sanded my palm down to the bone. Today, 44 years later no scar. Young dudes heal well. At 63 I sure hope that doesn't happen again.

My friend told me as I merged into the right lane, a box truck going about 80 came over a slight hill behind us, and with the fog I never saw him. Bruce said I ran right into the side of the box truck with my helmet. Bounced off, at first upright. He thought I was going to recover. Then loosing balance and probably consciousness for an instant, I lost balance. For good measure I hit it again and fell on my side. The box truck didn't even stop. Maybe he though I was a bug on his windshield, or roadkill. He wasn't texting back then, who knows.

Life's little bumps and bruises. Now I have more MC protective clothing than you can shake a stick at. Motosport and Cycle Gear love me. Live and learn. The road rash from that event wasn't fun.

I take the saying "dress for the slide, not for the ride", very seriously these days... but those levers might be the death of me!

Last edited:

MrFrzZ

Wow. Glad it wasnt worse... i've only been riding for 2 years now, but last summer I was in an advanced training class from a friend (Kinda run like a Ken Condon Class) and we were riding through a part of NC. He was in front of me on a Goldwing and made it safely through the turn... I on my trusty fizzer did not lol.

I turned in, had what I can only guess was horrible body position and immediately started grinding my peg. Mind you, I'd already removed my peg feelers due to grinding. So as soon as the peg dug in, I thought "well, you're in it now, just stick in and hope for the best" I knew I had to press a little harder to get the bike to make the exit point, but I think that extra pressure took enough weight off my back tire and the bike just walked out from under me. Went down and slid on my hip and onto my stomach, briefly saw sparks, then found a small retaining wall with my left ankle and very shortly after, my butt.

ended up with a shattered ankle, broken leg, and 2 compression fractures in my lower back. I managed to get back on the bike in 10 weeks, but my back still hurts. Oddly enough, my back hurts when i do anything but ride. Its the damndest thing lol. Got a couple cool tattoos on my leg though. :cool: I had a full leather onesy on and my helmet didnt have scratch somehow...

bike only needed a new footpeg, straightened out a clip on, and washed...

sti491

Wow. Glad it wasnt worse... i've only been riding for 2 years now, but last summer I was in an advanced training class from a friend (Kinda run like a Ken Condon Class) and we were riding through a part of NC. He was in front of me on a Goldwing and made it safely through the turn... I on my trusty fizzer did not lol.

I turned in, had what I can only guess was horrible body position and immediately started grinding my peg. Mind you, I'd already removed my peg feelers due to grinding. So as soon as the peg dug in, I thought "well, you're in it now, just stick in and hope for the best" I knew I had to press a little harder to get the bike to make the exit point, but I think that extra pressure took enough weight off my back tire and the bike just walked out from under me. Went down and slid on my hip and onto my stomach, briefly saw sparks, then found a small retaining wall with my left ankle and very shortly after, my butt.

ended up with a shattered ankle, broken leg, and 2 compression fractures in my lower back. I managed to get back on the bike in 10 weeks, but my back still hurts. Oddly enough, my back hurts when i do anything but ride. Its the damndest thing lol. Got a couple cool tattoos on my leg though. :cool: I had a full leather onesy on and my helmet didnt have scratch somehow...

bike only needed a new footpeg, straightened out a clip on, and washed...
Oh man, war stories. Glad you are still riding. I’ve had 3 back surgeries. Lucky to be walking upright. Didn’t ride for over 30 years up to 3 moths ago.

Loving the Fizzer. Perfect bike for me. My son rides hard. I remind myself I have maybe 15-18 good years left, and I can’t afford using any of them for recouperating!

adazine

Premium Member

MrFrzZ

Nice work on those levers ! I can appreciate what it takes to do things like that for the time and talent involved. I hope I don't have any stories like the ones I've just read, but it's nice to know that your both back to riding after those events.

Good advise - "dress for the slide, not for the ride"
This is what I tell people about my first wreck - .. I wrecked because I wasn't a better rider, but I'm a better rider because I wrecked.

I dont wanna do it again, but I learned a hell of a lot in about 2 seconds and the following weeks. Get the training, wear the gear, and every time you ride, work on something. Whether its trail braking, throttle control, body position, vision, etc. Pick something and focus on it every time you ride.

adazine

Premium Member

sti491

This is what I tell people about my first wreck - .. I wrecked because I wasn't a better rider, but I'm a better rider because I wrecked.

I dont wanna do it again, but I learned a hell of a lot in about 2 seconds and the following weeks. Get the training, wear the gear, and every time you ride, work on something. Whether its trail braking, throttle control, body position, vision, etc. Pick something and focus on it every time you ride.
You and my son must read the same books or be kindred spirits... I swear, as I started riding again recently, he says to me EVERY ride, "So what are you concentrating on today?" I'll say something like, "Riding smoothly". He'll say smoothly doing what, shifting, braking, what?"...

It's a great way to ride. The other tip I read about and do religiously, is only ride when I am feeling well, not too tired, or distracted about something else going on that maybe I'm upset about.

I also don't rush getting on the bike. Just before getting on it (after oil and tire pressure checks), like a pilot doing a pre-flight I walk around the bike, check for any loose parts like my exhaust (it's tight as a drum but I still check it since it's right in front of my rear tire), lockstrap and tailback, look for any leaks, think about my goal for the ride, tap the tail pack for good karma and calmly ride away slowly.

It doesn't take long for the "slowly part" to fade in the distance as I exit my neighbors properties somewhat quietly. I'm sure they still hear me 5 miles away....Whaaaaaaaaa! Just love the noises my bike makes now!