Shoei RF1100

oorgle

Shoei RF1100 post accident review

Seeing as I just put my helmet to the ultimate test by going head first into an embankment I though i would share my thought on how its performed.

I've had the helmet for about a year. It has had some small issues since the day I bought it but nothing big enough for me to ask for a replacement.

The issues I speak of are:

1. whistling from the visor. At highway speeds I had a constant whistle coming from right where the finger tab is to close it. If I gave it an extra little push when it whistled it would usually go away. I was never certain if this was caused by the visor itself, the weather stripping or the aerodynamics of the windscreen mixed with my height/riding position. I had a slight suspicion that the wind coming off the screen was hitting right at the bottom of the visor and the small amount of resistance the tab created caused a slight gap between the visor and seal. It was pretty annoying but I rode with earphones a lot so I didn't always notice it.

2. The tabs that hold the padding in the helmet were a bit loose and every time I would put it on I had to reseat one tab. Not a big deal and didn't bother me but it could have been built slightly better in that area.

Those are my only 2 complaints about the helmet. The range of vision was good. It was comfortable, and I didn't mind doing very long rides with it on.

The crash durability of the helmet in my opinion is great. I could have easily died in my accident and the helmet held up great. There are no cracks in the helmet and even though I hit head first my head felt fine. Now I didn't hit anything solid like concrete, I hit a dirt embankment but I hit hard and head first. A crappier helmet probably would have split in half. I've always been one of those people who believes you get what you pay for in a helmet. My first helmet was a joe rocket and it shattered just from me dropping it in a parking lot, but its was a cheap helmet ($200ish) and my shoei was $500 and saved my life. My next helmet will probably be in the $700 range should I decide I want to ride again.

I have no doubt my helmet saved my life. It baffles my mind when people don't ride with one.

So if you're considering getting the RF1100, take it from me. It will do the job and be comfy while doing it.

Last edited:

vkamnev

before i went shopping for a helmet i accidentally found an article comparing Snell and DOT by independent company. They actually tested in the lab whole bunch of helmets. Long story short - if helmet is DOT/ECE approved - it's a good helmet. Snell actually have worse protection of brain due to different requirements and harder EPC liner. ECE showed the best results. And price difference is mostly for finishing quality, soft liner materials etc. Price have nothing to do with protection. Even $50 halfies (DOT) where the can protect well.

So really no reason for buying expensive helmet for protection. For good overall quality only.

LS6TT

We all buy helmets we can afford and see more expensive helmets we want, but your statement is spot on, I have little faith in my 150$ HJC and I need/should upgrade.

oorgle

my joe rocket would not have survived my accident, my shoei did. I take experience over statistics. both were dot and snell approved

vkamnev

my joe rocket would not have survived my accident, my shoei did. I take experience over statistics. both were dot and snell approved
What makes you say so?

I recently hit a ground, then pole with my inexpensive Chinese Scorpion. Didn't cracked or any damage to the head and brain ;)

oorgle

the impact my joe rocket had was tiny compared to my accident with the shoei and in nearly the same location. The joe rocket cracked very easily in my opinion. had I been wearing it during my accident I have no doubt it would have just demolished the top of the helmet and my skull.

both were about the same age and both were dot/snell approved. The only difference really was brand and price.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

vkamnev

not going to argue. once again, it's all personal preference in the end. and your money and your health.

i'll stick to scorpion because I like the price/quality. you'll stay with shoei because it keeps your mind at peace :)

Spunky99

I've got a few hundred miles on my RF1100 now (250 plus, just today). I haven't noticed any of the problems you've mentioned, though. I get some whistle from the top vents (why the heck can't they be oblong, so they don't whistle?) but that's one of my few complaints. I did a more in depth write-up on mine, here:

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f9/got-my-shoei-rf1100-26324/

It's a little heavier than the RF1000, noticeably so, to me. But it's now SNELL as well as DOT. OK.

When we pay the premium price for a premium helmet, it's all the little things that we pay for. Fit, feel, ventilation, vision, quality construction, fully removable/washable lining, etc. In the case of a SHOE it's also less heavy than many comparable helmets, has less overall width and height and has aerodynamics that airplanes dream of.

I tried on a lot of helmets before paying $500 bucks for mine. They just didn't hug my head, the way I think a helmet should, or they simply felt cheaply made and/or lacked something that I wanted from a helm I'm going to be wearing all the time.

With my budget the way it is, $200 is just as much a financial burden as $500. And if I'm going to invest in a helmet, I'm going to get the best that I can.

At the end of the day though, I didn't justify the purchase because it offered better protection. Any DOT/SNELL helmet that fits correctly, should offer just as much protection. I bought the SHOEI because it was simply a better helmet.

To anyone riding without a helmet, I would say... lots of bad words. I would also say that you don't have to spend $500 bucks to protect your noggin. DOT is DOT. It's taken me many years to work up to the RF1100. In my personal opinion, if you've got nothing on your head, you've got nothing in your head. But don't let us people with the high-dollar helmets make you think that's all that's going to work. DOT is DOT. :)
My 2 cents....
I've got a few hundred miles on my RF1100 now (250 plus, just today). I haven't noticed any of the problems you've mentioned, though. I get some whistle from the top vents (why the heck can't they be oblong, so they don't whistle?) but that's one of my few complaints. I did a more in depth write-up on mine, here:
My Akuma MFR Phantom II has oblong vents and anything past 15 degrees on the freeway, it whistles.

I agree that DOT is DOT..I also think that SNELL is too stiff and can cause brain scramble issues. I prefer the European ECE standards. A helmet is an expendable item in a crash and I like the ECE standard over SNELL for street riding. There are a lot of helmet choices and some seem to be nothing more than a name brand cost. I like the Scorpion line for racing because they really fit my hear and EVERYWHERE on my head but for street riding I want light and comfortable with a snug fit.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

bobski

I'm glad you're ok but it's not about your helmet surviving the crash it's about you surviving the crash. As we all know, once a helmet has done it's job (even only once) we're supposed to replace it . . so none of them every survive a crash no matter how expensive. Sounds like your helmet did it's job well to protect your brain, but from the description of your crash I'm surprised that you didn't break your neck, no helmet will save you from that! Stay safe.

Last edited:

ajskillz13

before i went shopping for a helmet i accidentally found an article comparing Snell and DOT by independent company. They actually tested in the lab whole bunch of helmets. Long story short - if helmet is DOT/ECE approved - it's a good helmet. Snell actually have worse protection of brain due to different requirements and harder EPC liner. ECE showed the best results. And price difference is mostly for finishing quality, soft liner materials etc. Price have nothing to do with protection. Even $50 halfies (DOT) where the can protect well.

So really no reason for buying expensive helmet for protection. For good overall quality only.
Please explain why racers are required to wear Snell approved helmets on the track... crickets???.... crickets???.... "The Man makes them so that commercial America can make more money. Join the revolution, cheap, less safe helmets FTW!"

Seriously, do more research into the Snell ratings before you post this. Snell rated helmets are actually heavier than they could be without the rating because they have to meet certain requirements for safety. Yes, most DOT helmets will do a great job, but don't bash more expensive helmets just because you won't spend the $$$ to buy one.

I understand the vanity argument... $900 replica vs. $500 model that is also Snell rated. You can argue the value of that all day.

vkamnev

Please explain why racers are required to wear Snell approved helmets on the track... crickets???.... crickets???.... "The Man makes them so that commercial America can make more money. Join the revolution, cheap, less safe helmets FTW!"

Seriously, do more research into the Snell ratings before you post this. Snell rated helmets are actually heavier than they could be without the rating because they have to meet certain requirements for safety. Yes, most DOT helmets will do a great job, but don't bash more expensive helmets just because you won't spend the $$$ to buy one.

I understand the vanity argument... $900 replica vs. $500 model that is also Snell rated. You can argue the value of that all day.
Because Snell is better for track. The thing about Snell (it was M2005 back then, not it's 2010 and I don't really know if there is any difference) is they require to withstand two impacts at higher load in the same area. Hurt report and European research show that on the road it happens only in 5% of the cases. Therefore, to comply with Snell, helmet manufacturers put harder liner, and that's good for track also, as rider lands on the pavement/gravel at much higher speed than on the road where he can hit other than ground objects. Also, Snell require chinbar testing so Snell are only full face.

Helmet cannot be both Snell and ECE, because to pass Snell, EPC liner is too stiff for ECE and vice versa.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

Rich007

Just before I picked up my bike last week I went to Cycle Gear and tried on a bunch of helmets and found the RF-1100 to be the most comfortable. However I did notice the same things as the original poster. Whistling and loose fitting liner that keeps coming out. I do like the helmet because it is very comfortable and Shoei has a great reputation for building quality helmets.