Shifting

Clever1

Just curious how other FZ6R's shift. Mine never misses a gear but feels chunky when I shift for lack of a better word.

Forean

Just curious how other FZ6R's shift. Mine never misses a gear but feels chunky when I shift for lack of a better word.
Mine feels a little weird some times, I've had it checked out and it was fine... Must just be a yamaha thing.

Emma

Mine feels that way all the time. It made my Nephew real nervous when I brought him home from work last night.

However, I did have it miss once. I grabbed the clutch real fast and let off the throttle; as I did, I felt it thunk into place after the RPM's got up to around 8k. I was extremely lucky it didn't thunk into gear while the RPM's were up there. I probably didn't give it enough lift when I was shifting with my foot when it happened.

Other that that one time, I haven't had that happen at all.

Supahtim

The harder I push it, the harder it clunks. Take it easy, shift around 5k, and it shifts like butter.

Oddbob17

Mine shifts fine but one thing I've noticed which was the same on the FZ6 Fazer I had a couple of years back, was the lever seems to have a long throw, and it needs to be allowed to centre when a gear is selected, before it will allow you to go for another gear. I've never had this problem with any other bikes, like Forean said, it's a Yamaha thing. Once you get used to making sure your foot gets off the lever after a change, it's fine :)

Drennan57

Yeah the fizzers tranny is pretty inconstant in terms of feel. I still have stock levers on mine so it might be better for others.

BluePill

The clunk between first and second gear is fairly common on bikes that have a large ratio change between those gears. My Honda CB 750 was even worse, but my CBR1000RR didn't do it because it had ultra close ratios. If the chain is on the loose side of tension spec. it gets more noticeable.

Last edited:

vako_schneider

Hello guys! I'm new in this forum from Georgia.
my fz6r has weird sounds especially when I downshift from 2 to 1, its not soft downshift sometimes. and one more thing, today I was headed to work and engine stopped, I tryed to start bike several times and on third try it started. what can be the reason what do you think? (when I start engine always comes engine alert icon, but goes of as the engine starts is it normal?)

++5 to BluePill, captured it very well. The ratio change from 1 to 2nd is on the order of 43% difference thus you need to rev match to prevent locking the rear wheel and to make a smooth shift. As the gears go up the split is less and less with the 5 - 6 being less 7% change.

As for not starting, perhaps all of the safety interlocks were not satisfied. Next time make certain the clutch is all the way in and/or if parked, bike is in Neutral.
And yes, key on engine not running the CEL (check engine light) will be on.

Read up on Rev Matching.
PS the FZ6 gang on 600riders.com biggest complaint is the initial drop into gear. The Yamaha Clunk when the oil and engine are cold. I roll down the drive to reduce the ClunK.

BluePill

FWIW, I tried five different brands/types of oils in my 2009 FZ6R to see if I could feel any difference in clutch or transmission action. No detectable difference.

^^^ stay away from Mobile 1 ... guessing 6 members on 600riders reported increased vibes by 2000 mi and very crunchy gear changes...

Myself included.

vako_schneider

++5 to BluePill, captured it very well. The ratio change from 1 to 2nd is on the order of 43% difference thus you need to rev match to prevent locking the rear wheel and to make a smooth shift. As the gears go up the split is less and less with the 5 - 6 being less 7% change.

As for not starting, perhaps all of the safety interlocks were not satisfied. Next time make certain the clutch is all the way in and/or if parked, bike is in Neutral.
And yes, key on engine not running the CEL (check engine light) will be on.

Read up on Rev Matching.
PS the FZ6 gang on 600riders.com biggest complaint is the initial drop into gear. The Yamaha Clunk when the oil and engine are cold. I roll down the drive to reduce the ClunK.
thanks for reply. I always leave in 1st gear when park and is it bad? aand which oil do you recomend? I have to change now

No harm leaving a bike in gear, its the clunk from N to 1st that we hate. I exercise the clutch when cold and running to separate the plate, decouple the engine from the trans.

I use Amsoil, motorcycle oil, 10-40 for the FZ6. Good stuff.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

bQQm

I also have some clunky gear shifts from 3-4-5-6. I've been trying to find exactly which gears have it cause i know sometimes 5-6 does not. I believe it happens when i shift in low to mid revs. Really high revs is the smoothest shifting.