Shifting Issues

Five-O

Does anyone else have this problem, when I'm shifting from 2nd to 3rd sometimes it doesn't want to, generally when I need to get out of the way. Dam near broke my foot trying to pull up on the shift lever, felt like it went up but the gear never engaged had to down shift and keep upshifting to get it to go. Any advise would be great.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

SixRFixR

So you need to get out of the way, you're more tense than usual, you're in a slightly different position, perhaps you're not letting the shifter fully return to its center position before trying for 3rd.

RooKie

You may want to try shifting gears while keeping the throttle slightly open. I had that problem a few times and noticed that it mostly happened when I completely closed the throttle to shift.

This works:
Clutch-off, close throttle, shift, open throttle, clutch-on.

Works better (at least for me):
Clutch-off, ease off throttle but keep revs on at least 3k, shift, open throttle, clutch-on.

Hope that helps.

lark

I've noticed that! I thought my shoe was getting stuck somewhere though.

Is your bike brand new?

sillysoviet

What helped me is the bike doesn't like to shift smooth at lower RPM's. Get up to 7-9 and shift. Engines were made to rev high and like to shift smooth at higher RPMs

lark

You may want to try shifting gears while keeping the throttle slightly open. I had that problem a few times and noticed that it mostly happened when I completely closed the throttle to shift.

This works:

Clutch-off, ease off throttle but keep revs on at least 3k, shift, open throttle, clutch-on.

Hope that helps.
Tried this on my way to school today, helped to shift much smoother and faster :thumbup:

RooKie

Tried this on my way to school today, helped to shift much smoother and faster :thumbup:
Glad it helped :thumbup:

Five-O

This works:

Hope that helps.
I'll give this a try and see if it helps, have to wait for better weather supposed to snow isn't winter great :soapbox:

Grizzly

Fresh oil

My shifter was getting progressively stiffer. It was soon after I purchased the bike second hand and the guy that owned it before me had not used it regularly.

I thought it might be the oil that he had used previously or how long it had been since the last service.

Changed the oil replacing with Motul and the shift was much smoother.

arocholl

Once you change the oil it should get better. Mine shifts much better after changing out the factory oil for Mobil One at the first oil change.

-Uncle Al

Once you change the oil it should get better. Mine shifts much better after changing out the factory oil for Mobil One at the first oil change.

-Uncle Al
Agreed. The factory oil is usually very old by the time it gets sold. Working at a car dealership, it would be months from the time the oil is first put in at the factory till your first oil change. Plus, even for our bikes, 3k miles is a lot for the oil to take and begins not working so well.

TL:DR; I recommend to change your oil. :)

Last edited: