School me on stands/lifts

Pinarello Rider

Can someone help me understand how these things all work? I was looking at pictures of the venom stands/lift, but can't see how they work. Also, what is a spool slider?

Thanks!

Neme

A spool slider attached to your swing arm where the back wheel nut is. It acts as a handle for the stand to grab and lift the bike. The stand slides under the spools and then you press down on the Handel of the stand raising the bike. It's an easy process and the spools stay on the bike, you don't take them on and off each time you use the stand. Some stands, usually the higher end ones line Pitbull Stands, have "reversible" tips you can use it with or without spools. Does this answer your question?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Pinarello Rider

A spool slider attached to your swing arm where the back wheel nut is. It acts as a handle for the stand to grab and lift the bike. The stand slides under the spools and then you press down on the Handel of the stand raising the bike. It's an easy process and the spools stay on the bike, you don't take them on and off each time you use the stand. Some stands, usually the higher end ones line Pitbull Stands, have "reversible" tips you can use it with or without spools. Does this answer your question?
Yes, thanks.

It looks like getting something like you describe would be helpful for chain maintenance, correct? It looks like it would be easy to turn the wheel and clean/lube with this setup. Would this also help for when I need to remove the rear wheel to have a new tire put on, and all that stuff?

Neme

It makes chain maintenance a thousand tines easier. And yes, it will allow you to take the rear tire off along with the chain when that needs to be replaced. A rear sheen stand is a must have in my book. It makes life so much easier.

Neme

Yeah my Pitbull stand has reversible tips for spools or paddocks. A paddock stand simple slips under the swing arm and grips it and lifts it up. Same function as using spools but without the spools. In my opinion, paddock stands are better because they are more universal. However, spools are probably more safe and secure.

Pinarello Rider

It makes chain maintenance a thousand tines easier. And yes, it will allow you to take the rear tire off along with the chain when that needs to be replaced. A rear sheen stand is a must have in my book. It makes life so much easier.
What's a rear sheen stand?

Pinarello Rider

Here's the rear setup with the trex spool adapter. You basically stand the bike up, roll the lift under and align the u-bracket, then lift in one easy motion. Front is a bit different, you have fork lifts or triple-tree lifts (preferred, otherwise you can't do much but use it for storage), I don't have pics of that

You can do that with a paddock stand too. No need for the spools. They have small platforms that the swingarm sits on.
THIS MIGHT HELP!!! Motorcycle Stands- How To Use - YouTube
ONLY THING I WOULD DO DIF IS HAVE THE FRONT WHEEL INLINE WITH THE BIKE
having the front tire at an angle will scare the crap out of you because it shifts / pivots sideways with lifting... not a good feeling..
This is all fantastic information for a newb. Thanks guys!:steve:

Neme

My bike almost took a fall trying to lift it up without having the bike upright. One side caught and the other didn't and it started to go. Managed to save it, luckily!

Neme

JonKerr

Elite Member

RoadTrip

I place the kickstand on a block of wood (foot long 2x8) with a piece of rubber anti skid mat under the block, so the bike is nearly vertical before lifting. Just hold on to the rear seat to balance the bike, and have the lift stand in position behind the bike ready to lift under the swing arm - I use the paddock option, never felt the need for spools on any of my bikes, even though gixxers are threaded for them.

JonKerr

Elite Member

tobymax

definitely, I have one of my kids hold the front while I lift. My arms jst aren't long enough
I use a piece of 4x4X1 to prop up the bike. Carved out a channel to allow the kick stand to securely be down on the wood and voila... don't have to be concern about dropping the bike while i lift the rear.

Riccochet

I put a block of wood under the kick stand that's just thick enough to almost make the bike tip to the other side. Then with one swift motion pop up the rear stand. It'll bobble for a quick second, but I've never had any issues. Been doing it this way for as long as I can remember.