Sadly I have traded in the FZ

Nmexico

Going to be riding a R3 in a few days. Wanted a more nimble ride, I live in one of the most traffic polluted cities in the USA and not my fav place in the world New Mexico. There is no escape from the masses here. So a smaller, light bike makes way more sense.
Will post a pic soon.

If I ever do make it to Santa Fe, NM it means I won the lottery.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Nmexico

I'm having 2nd thoughts, I went to sign the papers today and the dealer did not have the bike prepped and told me tomorrow it will be ready. So I went back home and having cold feet, I just loved this motor to death. That spinning sound it makes before it takes off is great. I rode it back home and now really torn whether to keep or not.
The shop is having Yamaha demo days in 2 days and I called them and told them I will need to demo ride the R3 a few times to finally decide.

Last edited:

applejax

I had 2nd thoughts when I traded the fz6r in as well.

The moment I gave the 09 some throttle , I was in love.

Test ride the r3 and see if its for you or not. That's your best bet

Nmexico

Ended up pulling the trigger and putting a deposit on the bike. It was raining and could not do another test ride. They had a FZ and the R3 close to each other. I sat on the R3 and at my size 5 feet 6 135pds the bike just fits to a tee. The FZ was always a bit too heavy/big for me.
The R3 has a great sporty stance and looks awesome in blue even on a cloudy raining day.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

arocholl

I test rode the R3 at a demo day a couple of weeks ago, it was a lot of fun and feels so tiny compared to the FZ6R. Granted I'm also 6 ft 200 lbs

-Uncle Al

Nmexico

I test rode the R3 at a demo day a couple of weeks ago, it was a lot of fun and feels so tiny compared to the FZ6R. Granted I'm also 6 ft 200 lbs

-Uncle Al

Its a toy, the FZ and bigger bikes feel like serious business after riding something 368 pds full of fuel and no top heavy feel. I gave up a lot of straight line speed for it. I bought it before Demo day even tomorrow. The dealer says they are having a hard time finding a blue one so I made sure I left a deposit on it.

xorbe

If I also have an old carb Ninja 250R, is it worth selling, and buying the R3? Is it a similar small bike feel? I love the FZ6R for freeway duty, but around town, sometimes I prefer to use the toy Ninja.

Nmexico

Pics

I picked it up today and put 43 miles on it before the lovely Puget Sound traffic said Lets go home. This R3 is pretty committed to sport side riding feel compared to the 250/300R. This R3 is more towards the R lineage than sport touring. Their is noticeable lack of legroom compared to the CBR500R which is a lounge chair to me. My arms are sore as I am not used to clip ons. I know I will get used to the riding position within a few more hundred miles. Both the CBR300R and CBR500R are more comfortable for any size rider imo.

The power in the bike in no way feel anything like a starter bike. You can be on the freeway in 4th gear just fine, whether that is a good thing for the engine is up to you. Passing power not an issue within reason of course on any kind of road. The gear indicator is a terrific thing to have, once you have it you wonder why bike makers just don't make it standard.

The ride is connected, any input to to the left or right is felt right away, their is no lag feeling that I felt on the FZ6R , that bike was way too top heavy and sedate in handling for me. Its a compact bike, I really suggest bigger riders think about it long and hard before pulling the trigger. Its feels smaller than the Ninja 300 to me, maybe its the narrow handlebars. The suspension at my weight 135pd soaks up bumps nicely, no pogo stick feel like the CBR250R.

The stock exhaust is louder for a 321cc bike, engine braking sounds, twin cylinder boom its there. Feels more mechanical sounding than VROMMM VROOM. The Ninja 300 is more stealthy sounding. The stock tires bias ply Michelin Pilot Street feel good and planted. I don't think this needs an aftermarket exhaust at all, the bike is light enough and loud enough period.

Its so more planted on the road and agile than any bike I've ever had, more than the CBR500R which I put 7k more on. If this bike fits your frame I highly doubt you will not like the tight handling and crisp turn in.

Last edited:

xorbe

I picked it up today and put 43 miles on it before the lovely Puget Sound traffic said Lets go home. This R3 is pretty committed to sport side riding feel compared to the 250/300R. This R3 is more towards the R lineage than sport touring. Their is noticeable lack of legroom compared to the CBR500R which is a lounge chair to me. My arms are sore as I am not used to clip ons. I know I will get used to the riding position within a few more hundred miles. Both the CBR300R and CBR500R are more comfortable for any size rider imo.

The power in the bike in no way feel anything like a starter bike. You can be on the freeway in 4th gear just fine, whether that is a good thing for the engine is up to you. Passing power not an issue within reason of course on any kind of road. The gear indicator is a terrific thing to have, once you have it you wonder why bike makers just don't make it standard.

The ride is connected, any input to to the left or right is felt right away, their is no lag feeling that I felt on the FZ6R , that bike was way too top heavy and sedate in handling for me. Its a compact bike, I really suggest bigger riders think about it long and hard before pulling the trigger. Its feels smaller than the Ninja 300 to me, maybe its the narrow handlebars. The suspension at my weight 135pd soaks up bumps nicely, no pogo stick feel like the CBR250R.

The stock exhaust is louder for a 321cc bike, engine braking sounds, twin cylinder boom its there. Feels more mechanical sounding than VROMMM VROOM. The Ninja 300 is more stealthy sounding. The stock tires bias ply Michelin Pilot Street feel good and planted. I don't think this needs an aftermarket exhaust at all, the bike is light enough and loud enough period.

Its so more planted on the road and agile than any bike I've ever had, more than the CBR500R which I put 7k more on. If this bike fits your frame I highly doubt you will not like the tight handling and crisp turn in.

(snip pics)
Thanks for the detailed info!

ch33zecake

Congrats man! That's a sweet looking bike! I saw the R3 in person and definitely a sportier bike than the FZ6R. I bet your bike would be a blast to ride around some twisty roads. I also sat on the R3. It didn't feel too relaxed or too aggressive. It's a good compromise between the FZ6R and an R6. The bike also felt really nimble just sitting on it. I wish I was able to demo one!

I too just recently traded in my FZ6R for a 2014 CBR600RR. I knew eventually I would go that route but never would've thought I was gonna get a CBR. I thought for sure I was gonna get a GSX-R instead. Anyways, congrats!