Road test circles/figure eights

Sparkxx1

So I found an empty parking lot to practice for my road test(finally!) and I began doing the circles left and right. I found the only real way for me to do tight circle is to have my opposite butt-cheek hanging off the seat. I'm used to riding a bicycle in all sorts of weird angles, and I'm not saying I'm uncomfortable leaning the bike that much, would the examiner say anything? In your experience how big of a circle do you have to make on the road test, mine were something like 5 feet in diameter, maybe 4 I'm not sure...

Sage

Counter-balancing is what I'm visualizing you are describing and I'm pretty sure that's fine. Take the MSF course if you can, it's a godsend =)

Sparkxx1

Sigh, I was going to and all of a sudden my college said I owed like 1500 bucks, plus my father might be declaring bankruptcy. I know it'll cost alot more to repair a bike in an accident and that knowledge is invaluable, but right now it's not something I can spare. I only go out on the bike because it just relieves all the stress, I can just ride and not think about upcoming exams, or needing money.

400$ for the course vs. 20$ for the license, plus I've already taken a similar course in my country, I already have a motorcycle license I just wish the dmv would do a trade xD

Last edited:

CrazyCawi

Counter-balancing is what I'm visualizing you are describing and I'm pretty sure that's fine. Take the MSF course if you can, it's a godsend =)
I agree, Im making the wife take that course!!! It teaches you SOOO Much and I know everyone feels embarassed or like their a noob taking it but seriously It can mean the difference between life and death in situations.

Sage

Is Illinois the only state that the program is just a donation? not costing like $300 bucks a pop =\ But best of luck, sounds like alot of things are going on

edk442

5 foot diameter figure eights sounds effing tight to me! can our bike even physically do that? seems like if i cranked the bars and walked the bike i'd still be over that...i couldn't even do that on a bmx bike!

Last edited:

Sparkxx1

5 foot diameter figure eights sounds effing tight to me! can our bike even physically do that? seems like if i cranked the bars and walked the bike i'd still be over that...i couldn't even do that on a bmx bike!
hmm maybe it was closer to 7-8ft(I'll film next time or use chalk), I was more concentrated on not dropping the bike and counter balancing correctly. The bike is very manageable, the first two times scared me and I did drop it, but now it isn't that bad. I guess since I grew up in NY I'm not really scared about driving through the streets here, although I do have to concentrate a ridiculous amount when I drive into Manhattan. Cagers are at their worst there, I've never seen worse driving in my life.

I think I'm going to spend every Tuesday and Thursday practicing at a park parking lot. There isn't many places to practice here because there is so many people. I found that there's a part 30 min away that is virtually empty on the weekdays. Now I have to figure out how I can take that road test...I need a licensed rider lol or I think a truck to put my bike in.

behindXgrnXeyes

it was 250 here in florida...and it isnt an option. You HAVE to get endorsed to get your license here....so at least it made the decision easy to take the class...haha

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

cobra94563

5ft diameter is impossible.
Calif is 20ft inner circle and 24 ft outer, and you have to ride in between them.
If you find a lot with parallel parking, the lines are +/-10 ft. Figure 8's in 2 parking spots.

Practice enough and you'll get it.
I hope you have frame sliders on..

Parcho

I just took the course in VA, and while I haven't tried the figure 8 on the FZ6R, I had no trouble with it on the school bike, with a few feet to spare. Counter-balancing shouldn't flunk you on the test, BUT I found that when I listened to the instructor and really exaggerated my head turn, the bike turned very tight and stable and did what I wanted it to no problem. If you go slow and really look through your turn you should be fine, and shouldn't need to counter balance much, if at all.
That is exactly what my instructor said to me. Instead of looking at the apex of the turn, which most people in the class do. Look at where you want to finish the turn, ie. other end of the turn. Where you look is where you will end up is what he kept saying. And it's true.

ajskillz13

Two things...

1. Indiana is also cheap. $75 with $25 refundable if you don't want to be a member of the ABATE association that sponsors the class.

2. I know this doesn't exactly apply to the testing drill, but I learned a pretty cool tip for controlling the bike while turning at parking lot speeds... USE THE REAR BRAKE. If you're maneuvering around your driveway or in a parking spot, avoid the front brake if the rear will stop you.

If you squeeze the front with the wheel turned, our bike wants to twist you down. Using the rear settles the bike. I do this when I loop my bike around in front of my garage to back it in.

Sparkxx1

Whoa my thread was brought back, well now I know 5 ft is impossible I guess I'm really bad at judging distances. But I was doing circles on almost full lock so it was as tight as it could be.

I actually took my road test today after 900 miles of riding on a permit...:thumbup:

Only got stopped once because of registration and the officer didn't seem to care about my permit, although not all will feel the same. My road test examiner made me do 3 left circles, 3 right circles, and 3 figure eights without stopping. I think it's supposed to be 2 each but I don;t think he liked me very much. Too bad I was flawless ;)

For any future posters, just practice until you're confident on your motorcycle. Don't take it on a motorcycle you haven't ridden for a WHILE! It took me about 600 miles to get really comfortable and confident in my abilities and my bike. I'm just a worry wart, it's different for everybody.

GOOD LUCK OUT THERE!!!:thumbup:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

redwing-2001

So I found an empty parking lot to practice for my road test(finally!) and I began doing the circles left and right. I found the only real way for me to do tight circle is to have my opposite butt-cheek hanging off the seat. I'm used to riding a bicycle in all sorts of weird angles, and I'm not saying I'm uncomfortable leaning the bike that much, would the examiner say anything? In your experience how big of a circle do you have to make on the road test, mine were something like 5 feet in diameter, maybe 4 I'm not sure...
refer to this: http://msf-usa.org/downloads/Street_Motorcycle_Tips_2010.pdf
and go to page 57.