Road Rage - No One Wins

eskimo10

First off, don't know if this is necessarily the right place to post this, so if it's not then feel free to move it.

Saturday 8/8/15 I got run off the road in a road rage incident. Posting this up mainly to vent, convince other riders to go ATGATT and document it.

Anyway, on to the story! I was riding back from the gym and noticed a silver Ford F-150 cut in line behind me and tail gate me hard, we made a right turn and he begins passing me in the turn. At this point I accelerate to get back into the left lane (because eventually it becomes one lane with the left lane being the one lane) and he tail gate me some more.

He makes it next to me yells at me something about cutting him off and makes his way back behind me because of slow traffic in the right lane, tail gating me again. Eventually traffic in the right lane clears he passes me and gets back in front of me and slams on his brakes (between 40-45mph) so I have two choices - run into his tailgate (no thanks) or try to shoot the gap between him and the curb of the median.

I hit my brakes and aimed for the gap luckily I made it in the gap and didn't hit his truck, he jerks the wheel cutting me off completely and I swerve to avoid the truck hitting the curb. Bike goes down and I'm thrown to the median (which thank God was a grassy median and I had ATGATT so I walked away scratch free with a few bumps and bruises).

He stops backs up his truck and says something to me, but I was on the phone so idk what he said. Cops show up and he gets ticketed, bike is towed and insurance will begin investigating/assessing tomorrow hopefully. He was found at fault so I'm going through his insurance for repairs and my hospital bill from my check up today.

All that to say, always go ATGATT! Be safe, ride safe!

lytehouse

Super Moderator
ah damn.....I'm glad to hear you weren't hurt and he'll get what's coming to him.

Richie21

Good thing you're ok. That could have ended a lot worse than it did. Sorry you had to lay your bike down but in the end it can be replaced, you can't. Stay safe.

BzB

Glad you're ok. Atgatt!

Bike looks like it took a rough fall. Engine casing (is that oil leaking out?) , peg gone, shifter bent up, slider ground down, fairing damage. Suspect your handlebars are wrecked too. Hope ins gets you back in order.

As for tailgaters and road ragers I almost always let them pass and give them space. Easier to remove them as a threat when they're in front. We have more to lose than they do and they're usually bad drivers anyway. I'd rather control the situation by letting them go than leave my safety up to them.

Glad the other driver got a ticket and this will be on his insurance and driving record. Hope it's on his conscience as well, but probably not. Smh

eskimo10

Glad you're ok. Atgatt!

Bike looks like it took a rough fall. Engine casing (is that oil leaking out?) , peg gone, shifter bent up, slider ground down, fairing damage. Suspect your handlebars are wrecked too. Hope ins gets you back in order.

As for tailgaters and road ragers I almost always let them pass and give them space. Easier to remove them as a threat when they're in front. We have more to lose than they do and they're usually bad drivers anyway. I'd rather control the situation by letting them go than leave my safety up to them.

Glad the other driver got a ticket and this will be on his insurance and driving record. Hope it's on his conscience as well, but probably not. Smh
Yea man, I suspect theres damage that may not be as easily seen as well. I'm guessing the handle bars, maybe some front end damage too. The rim is badly scratched up and the mirror took some damage, but the frame slider performed as it should and really took the brunt of the damage, which I am very thankful for.

As far as road ragers, this definitely has changed the way I ride and will certainly be getting out of the way ASAP. Not worth this kind of trouble.

eskimo10

Good thing you're ok. That could have ended a lot worse than it did. Sorry you had to lay your bike down but in the end it can be replaced, you can't. Stay safe.
This here. The bike is currently in the process of getting fixed, luckily I don't have to go through that same process. Hospital check out came back clean, little bit of soreness from the hips and shoulders where I rolled, but I was able to walk away completely unscathed.

BzB

Oh another thing...thoroughly check your gear and helmet. Even the smallest damage can severely compromise how well it protects you if you ever go down again. Replace anything that could be questionable. Amend your claim to include the cost of replacing your gear. Make them pay for it since it was damaged in the accident.

eskimo10

Oh another thing...thoroughly check your gear and helmet. Even the smallest damage can severely compromise how well it protects you if you ever go down again. Replace anything that could be questionable. Amend your claim to include the cost of replacing your gear. Make them pay for it since it was damaged in the accident.
Will do, luckily my head never touched the ground so the helmet was ok, but I'll probably claim for a new one anyway. Jacket is banged up, going to claim that, and gloves are ok.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

eskimo10

Glad you're safe. Had some close calls with road ragers. Always get away from them at all costs. I've gone down a few unnecessary side roads to stay away.

Invest in a GoPro!!
This is what I'm looking in to doing currently. Won't be riding or driving without one from now on!

glad you're ok, bike can be fixed or replaced!

and, I'd throw the book at him... get a lawyer and make him pay... make him think twice about using his vehicle to assault others.

https://jimcorleylaw.wordpress.com/2012/08/03/slam-brakes-on-tailgating-criminal-charge-prevent-accident-injury-recovery/

that is assault, especially if he's already been criminally ticketed for causing an accident.
Very interesting, I'm going to have an attorney take a look into this. It's an avenue worth pursuing, thanks for the heads up!

Glad to see you made it in relatively good shape.
All things considered I'll take what "injuries" I did get in place of what could have been.

Thanks for the positive vibes!

FastFreddy

He should be charged with attempted vehicular manslaughter.

I've had a few attempt this so far, they always say something stupid when you tap on the window at the next lights. The stupidest would be the guy that saw me slowing down for a person turning ahead of me using their indicators, so he's on my *** in his pickup for a couple of kms, then when I tap he goes, "you were going slowly", I say "So you didn't see the car slowing down to turn then ?", he went bright red, I continue "So you are prepared to threaten my life to get to the next red light 1 second earlier ?". He's saying "you shouldn't be driving on the road if you think it's dangerous". Anyway, he refused to apologise or get out, so he lost in both word and deed.

Last edited:

FastFreddy

What was the charge in this case ?

It'd be a "negligent driving" $105 fine here. Yet your bike is off the road and he nearly killed you, doesn't seem fair.

eskimo10

What was the charge in this case ?

It'd be a "negligent driving" $105 fine here. Yet your bike is off the road and he nearly killed you, doesn't seem fair.
I'm trying to figure it out, I think its reckless driving or something of the sort but I can't find it and I don't remember what the officer told me.

Luckily I got on the phone ASAP to 911 or I would have done something potentially harmful to this old guy. Self control does wonders!

#ridesafefam!

eskimo10

Any witnesses helping out?
Yes there was a witness who stayed and gave a statement to the police officers. Along with that statement they were able to determine that he was at fault.

Update: bike is now at the shop getting an estimate and then hopefully repairs.