Road Pilot 3s

Fizzi6ergal

I'm actually having an issue with my back tire. I got mine shortly after buying my bike used. Right now they have just over 7.5k miles on them, and all since October '12. So far they have been good except one thing.

About 3 weeks ago I noticed that the center portion of the tire, the part with the harder rubber compound, started to become raised to the point where the center part is a good inch to an inch and a half higher than the outer edges of the tire. And it's not rounded like it used to be. Think of the center portion looking like a plateau. The center has been flattened out a little due to wear but still plenty of tread left.

The pressure was still normal so I've been still riding on it. This probably happened when the tire was around 7k. Today after coming out from paying a bill I noticed that I could now see where the thread was showing in the transition area between the center compound and the outer compound. Needless to say I took the bike straight home and won't be riding it until I can get the tire replaced.

Now I'm not sure if this is normal wear or a defect in the tire. I've heard of people getting between 6-10k on them, so this could just be normal wear, but the tire doesn't have the normal rounded shape that most tires do. Or even rounded with the flattened center.

If you know anything about this please let me know.
Your tire is "cupping". Have you always checked your air pressure? Or just started checking it when you saw the "cupping"? I had to replace my front tire before I went on a ride to a different part of the state because I had the same thing. Me, though, I hadn't checked my air pressure since I started riding this summer. Boy, were they low. I was at 20 in the front and 26 in the rear.

FastFreddy

Pilot Power 3 is the new tyre in the longevity category, grippier than PR2/3s.

The Road 2's weren't grippy enough for me, and would squirm once too hot.

linkgt

I'm actually having an issue with my back tire. I got mine shortly after buying my bike used. Right now they have just over 7.5k miles on them, and all since October '12. So far they have been good except one thing.

About 3 weeks ago I noticed that the center portion of the tire, the part with the harder rubber compound, started to become raised to the point where the center part is a good inch to an inch and a half higher than the outer edges of the tire. And it's not rounded like it used to be. Think of the center portion looking like a plateau. The center has been flattened out a little due to wear but still plenty of tread left.

The pressure was still normal so I've been still riding on it. This probably happened when the tire was around 7k. Today after coming out from paying a bill I noticed that I could now see where the thread was showing in the transition area between the center compound and the outer compound. Needless to say I took the bike straight home and won't be riding it until I can get the tire replaced.

Now I'm not sure if this is normal wear or a defect in the tire. I've heard of people getting between 6-10k on them, so this could just be normal wear, but the tire doesn't have the normal rounded shape that most tires do. Or even rounded with the flattened center.

If you know anything about this please let me know.
This happened with my stock tires. They started to get "bubbles" on the front tire. I think that's what you're describing? Well in any case, I wont be buying PR3 anymore...

BKP

Almost 5500 miles on the PR2s so far, and absolutely no sign of wear, perfectly round. No cupping, scalloping, flattening. (Not sure if the picture does them justice). I'm religious about tire pressure... I check it every other day (I ride about every day).

...and, while I don't take it to the track, I *do* ride them *hard*.

The cornering difference between these and stock is night and day...

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member