Riding Solo to the Top of the World

B

Botch

Picked up this DVD a few months ago and have watched it several times, I really really enjoy it!
This film was made by Gaurav Jani, an assistant Director in the Indian film industry. During breaks between films he motorcycles around Asia; the topic of this film is his 5,000 mile excursion through the Changthang plateau, with the highest road on the planet and approaching the Chinese border, and meeting with the Chang Pa (sp?) nomadic people.
Unlike Ewan and Charlie's adventures Long Way Round and Long Way Down, Gaurav rode this trip solo, and did all his own filming. He'd climb a mountain, set up his camera on a beautiful scene with the road running thru it, climb back down and ride his bike thru the scene, and then climb back up to retrieve his camera! He carried his tent, cookware, camera gear and sleeping bag (not to mention food, gas and water) on his 350 cc "Lana" (I believe a nickname, I didn't recognize the bike itself), at one point he travels 900 km between gas sources.
Most of this ride takes place above the tree line; all you see is mountain, rocks, occasionally a patch of grass... and lakes! Some beautiful lakes up on the top of the world. Once he hits 18,600 feet, his motorcycle will no longer run and he pushes his fully-loaded bike over that particular pass, something I almost find hard to believe. His narration at points gets pretty slurry and disjointed as he succumbs to altitude sickness, and he's constantly having trouble breathing (I wouldn't want to ride a bike in dirt in that condition!).
The other fascinating part of this film is his meeting and interacting with the locals, way up at those altitudes. This is the heart of Buddhism, and he witnesses some pretty great festivals and prayer assemblies (one which seemed to end a months-long draught as he was filming, the jubilation of the people was... incredible, not to mention the following rainbow).
He spends days with these nomadic sheepherders, watching them make goat's cheese by bouncing a cured sheep hide sewn together and filled with milk (he threw up after trying it). His discussions with the tribal leader regarding his sons abandoning the nomadic lifestyle to live in the cities below kinda transcends this film as a mere "motorcycle adventure movie".
As I said, this one really has me captivated. There's no waiting at border crossings or getting stuck in the mud that fills up Ewan and Charlie's videos, and as a lover of the mountains the scenery is simply stunning. Highly recommended! :thumbup:

O

Oscar54

So what is the name of this movie, and where would someone get it?

S

steveindenmark

The bika is a Royal Enfield I think.

Yes it is a Royal Enfield..probably a 500.

I have had this DVD for a long time and I have watched it lots of times. It is one of the best shot bike DVDs you will see, the scenery is stunning and he shot it all by himself.

Put it on your wish list.

Steve

A

abraxas

I've saved that youtube trailer, and just watching THAT gives me goosebumps.

One of the few motorcycle movies i REALLY want to watch.