Riding shoes

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

jammer

I know accidents will happen anywhere but I am no toe draggin, apex clipping rider and I just do not like high boots of any kind. These seem like good shoes for commuting and cruisin out to bike night. I want something I can walk around in comfortably and ride with.

ksanbon

I know accidents will happen anywhere but I am no toe draggin, apex clipping rider and I just do not like high boots of any kind. These seem like good shoes for commuting and cruisin out to bike night. I want something I can walk around in comfortably and ride with.
Something to think about - I have a friend who was commuting home and had an accident while not wearing his boots. He recently had his 3rd anklle surgery in less than 6 months and feels blessed to have it. The doctors initially considered amputation.
It can happen to any of us. He's an experienced rider who's taken numerous riding courses, some at Laguna Seca. I can't say that the boots would have saved him, but I prefer the odds wearing them.

Last edited:

Chucker

I have Shift Fuel shoes that are a lot like these, and Dianese TRQ race boots. I usually wear the Dainese, but if I'm out and about rather than just going from point A to B or out for I ride, I wear my Shift Fuel shoes. I like that they give more protection than regular shoes, but are comfortable and look pretty good.

ksanbon is right though... you don't have to be toe draggin' and apex clipping to get hurt if you go down.

jammer

I agree that you don't have to be running hard to wreck. But by the same token I have a friend who had an accident at low speed wearing full racing boots, leathers, etc and he spent a month in ICU. It comes down to being comfortable enough that you want to ride. It is a personal thing for everyone.

Bert-Aus

ATGATT no matter what, accidents are not planned events!
You can only reduce impacts by preparing yourself and practising road survival riding.

S. scan road around & upcoming
I. identify hazards
P. predict what may occur
D. determine how you will best negotiate the way ahead
E. execute the manouvre

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

ksanbon

I agree that you don't have to be running hard to wreck. But by the same token I have a friend who had an accident at low speed wearing full racing boots, leathers, etc and he spent a month in ICU. It comes down to being comfortable enough that you want to ride. It is a personal thing for everyone.
What would have happened if he wasn't wearing the gear?

int15

I'm fundamentally against a low-top shoe/boot for "protection" but your safety is your concern, not mine. I know some people with Dianese boots and they love them. I'd say these would be the same.
I've been looking at the TCX X-Cube for a while. They seem like a good compromise between security and comfort.

TCX X-Cube Boots - RevZilla

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Invader Jim

The best gear is gear that you will wear. Hopefully you will pick something that is both comfortable and provides an increased level of protection but gear with lighter protection that you wear 100% of the time is better than gear that provides the best possible protection but you rarely/never wear it.

pavmentsurfer

Ive got a set of Icon Tarmac 2's and I really like them. The only other "riding" boot I've ever worn on a bike is a pair of Thor 50/50's which are designed for ATVing VS street bikes but they were all I had and I refuse to wear regular shoes. Work boots at the BARE minimum. I figured, now that I've got a new bike, better get decent shoes. I wanted something I could wear while riding and wear around town as well. The Tarmac 2's are VERY comfortable and are high enough I feel my ankles are protected.

I did just order a full set of Alpinestars gear including some S-MX5's but theres no way id wear those around town or to the mall or a restaurant. I agree with the other posters who say the best gear is the gear you'll wear. Actual riding gear thats not as protective as race gear is better than street shoes that aren't protective at all.

jammer

cmilli09

I bought the Speed and Strength Run with the Bulls - Red shoes a week ago and love them. They're on sale right now for $69.99, but only come in size 9 or 12. I myself am a size 10 1/2, but fit into a size 9 after stretching them out a bit. I love them now and they are super comfortable and protective while I'm riding. I'd highly recommend them especially for the price.

I own the 2013 white/red FZ6R so the red shoes were perfect for the style, plus they're nice to walk around in whenever I'm not riding.

Speed and Strength Run With The Bulls 2.0 Moto Shoe - Red - Competition Accessories