Rider Insurance Policy Change

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

rrob5382

im paying 38 a month through progressive for just liability..... and then for full coverage they wanted something like 450 A MONTH from me.....that extra 400 a month can just go straight to paying the bike off....

Cerebus

lol, I got what basically equates to an F-you letter back from them. Same narrative as the other poster mention, but also included a screen shot from Yamaha's web site highlighting where our bikes are classified as "sport" by the manufacturer. :D

D52

My old premium was $229 a year, 100/300k, with a 250 deductible. New quote with the same limits is $665. They can go to Hell.

A Triumph Daytona (which if I was buying a true sports bike is what I would get), is only $728. Fawk Rider.

I have the same level of coverage as you and that's essentially the same price jump I'm experiencing... from $270 to $693 and my discounts go out the window since I'm not 35. Progressive was just as bad. I have a personal boycott against Geico. I would like to keep at least some collision coverage if possible and right now the best I've found is with AllState. $504 for the same level of coverage I had with Rider. $445 if I bump the collision deductible to $1K. Still rather ridiculous in my opinion for something I ride casually for seven months out of the year, if I'm lucky, but it is an improvement.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

D52

Just looked at the 2 quotes in my mail box. Progressive quoted $1500/year for GSXR750 and Rider quoted $489/year same bike. Looks like I'll drop Progressive when I move on. I wonder why Rider is quoting its own customers so high?

That's a big difference. I am disappointed with Rider... they were the cheapest by far originally, for both my 6R and my CBR250. I no longer qualify for any discounts with their reclassification, but even if I did, it still would be expensive. They were always pleasant when I called too. I discovered the class change didn't occur until June 1st when I accidentally entered wrong info in their online quoting service, so I called with the intention to cancel my policy, eat the small loss (my policy ends 6/29) and start a new policy at the old rates. I think this would have worked if I hadn't called on the last Friday of May as they require a full business day to cancel a policy. The woman I talked to was a witch even before I made the request and seemed to get agitated at my request, then flat out point blank said there was nothing I could do to get around it and that those were the rates. At the very least you'd think she could be even just a little bit sympathetic to a return customer... Or at least I was going to return.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

D52

How old are you? I'm 39 which may make a difference and have been licensed for 6 or more years now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
I'm 31. Age does make a difference. I had their preferred operator discount previously, but that is not available for motorcycles they classify as high-performance sport bikes. I have to be at least 35 to qualify for that discount. (And it wouldn't surprise me if turned out to be a smaller one.)

Iccycold

Got my reclassification letter in the mail about a week ago.

Policy renewal came yesterday; went from a little over $400 a year to $1182 a year. See ya Rider.

travisH3

I know this thread is older but I figured I should just keep it going. Got my insurance bill today. Went from 300 a year to $570 a year. I don't have full coverage. It's liability only, with fire and theft added on with uninsured motorists as well. Not sure if it's because I got my first ticket this past winter but I haven't looked through the paper work yet. But I'll be sure to call Monday to find out what's going on. If they don't bring it back down my aftermarket parts will be in the classified section and bike will be on Craigslist. This sucks. But I don't ride the bike enough to justify that kinda money on insurance and I don't even get to ride all year round. I wonder if it's just because it switch to a sport bike like op insurance did. Idk but we will see. Rant over....

Iccycold

Got my reclassification letter in the mail about a week ago.

Policy renewal came yesterday; went from a little over $400 a year to $1182 a year. See ya Rider.
Another update; shopped around and went with progressive at $382 a year for same coverage. Even cheaper than Rider was originally.

Headlessmunky

After I got my letter going from $268/year to $1696(which is more than I was told in the email), I got some other quotes. The cheapest for me was Allstate since my car insurance is with them I got a decent discount. I still have to pay $695/year for full coverage. I also made a point to tell the guy at rider that this bike is not a Super Sport and I could ride an R6 for almost the same price.

latony007

i still say full coverage is not worth it on this bike. I pay around 200 a year for 2 bikes the fz6r and a cruiser. to get full coverage on the FZ6R alone went from like 120 a year to 1000 a year. That is more than the bike payment. I only borrowed 5000 and my payment is 76$. at $90 a month for ins. i would pay for the bike again in less than 5 years yet every month i own it they will give me less and less for it and almost never as much as you owe so you lose even more. It just doesnt make sense numbers wise. If you had a 25k harley or BMW then it would make more sense.