Replace your clutch cable

Well, my clutch cable was frayed and I had to replace it. I ordered a new one from my local cycle shop for $26.00. Once I got it I came here for instruction and found none so I will attempt to help as much as I can:

0: Open a bottle of your favorite frosty beverage
1: Remove left fairing
2: Remove clutch lever bolt
3: Disconnect clutch lever from cable
4: Align grooves in adjusting bolt with housing and remove the cable
5: Pry the safety catch UP using a flat-head screwdriver
6: Remove cable end from clutch
7: Remove cable and replace with the new one
8: Install the connector at the clutch and press the safety catch down to secure it.
9: Insert cable into grooves at the lever housing.
10: Reinstall lever and adjust clutch to allow for 2-3 mm of play

Y

yellowfz

Not to ditch on your very informative how to, but you don't have to take the lever off, just screw in the adjustment screw to lowest point, pull on the cable and slip the cable through the slot, then remove from lever.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Chucker

How many miles? And any idea why it's frayed?

I've been thinking about things I need to do this winter... this is one of them, I'm sure mine has stretched a bit at 3yrs and almost 50k miles.

oh, and sticky'd! Great write-up!
Thanks! There's only 7200 miles. I bought her used with 2800 and the clutch was adgusted too tight which is why I think it frayed so soon.

You look a lot younger, and shorter, than I would have expected.
Yes, it's these pills I bought of the intewebz...LOL

CtrlAltDl

Not to ditch on your very informative how to, but you don't have to take the lever off, just screw in the adjustment screw to lowest point, pull on the cable and slip the cable through the slot, then remove from lever.
Here is a photo of what yellowfz is talking about:

FYI, step 0 goes without saying, ;) but otherwise a great 'How To'.

efforex

About how long did this take you to do. I have taken the bike apart a bunch so im more looking for uninstalling the cable and reinstalling the new one. I am going to probably have to do mine at the track that morning so i am trying to figure out if i need to push it to that night or be able to do it there.

mikebaileyvienna

Elite Member
Last edited:

jh14

To help the routing, tape the new one to the old one before you pull the old one out... it will follow the route of the old one.