Replace Brakes

ARay

Hi all.
I need to replace the following;

brakes (looking for your recommendations)
rotors (do I need to? I read you must each time the brakes are replaced).
tires (decided to go with... Michelin Pilot Road 2 at $373.49)

Bike Profile: 2010 model, 13,500km, no mods.
Upcoming ride from Ottawa to Newfoundland and back in 3 weeks (4-5,000km).

Appreciated amigos and amigas.

- ARay

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Spunky99

I use the Sixity scintered front brakes. Excellent product. I have compared then to EBC and they are a whole level better in manufacture and functionality.
I use them on the race bikes and the Triumph and the FZ6R before I crashed.

Also just use the regular stock pads for the rear brakes to prevent accidental lockups. The stock pads are fine. Scintered are overkill on the rear and might cause you grief in an emergency if you aren't used to them.

09 Yamaha FZ6R Brake Pads Sintered Bronze F+R | eBay

ARay

Hey all.
Appreciated your recommendations. I feel much better knowing you guys vouch for these products. Thanks again.

- Andrew

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

auniquesoul

gotcha! thx, to the dealer I go then....

Chucker

If you haven't got your new tires yet, consider heading into the states if you've got the time and can get a decent deal near the border. My neighbour just saved $200 on his tires by driving from Mississauga to Buffalo.

Spunky99

Common motorcycle belief is replace the rotors every other time you replace the pads
After riding motorcycles for 43 years, this is the first time I've ever heard this.

I check the rotor width to spec with a dial caliper and if within spec I check runout with a dial indicator. Replacing rotors that are 100% within spec with new ones seems kinda stupid to me. Kinda like replacing the engine on your car every 50K miles for no good reason other than the engine salesman's recomendation.

I guess if you have money to burn, you may as well replace the entire brake system every other time the pads need replacing.

The problem is that the new rotors may be worse than the ones you replaced and you won't find out until you make an emergency stop and the brakes fail.

JSP

Super Moderator
Well put spunk! I didn't know u have been riding that long though, good for u

---
I am here: Google Maps
Sent from Joshua's android dominating iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, Spunk has been around a while...

Here is a picture of his first motorcycle! :)

Spunky99

Yeah, Spunk has been around a while...

Here is a picture of his first motorcycle! :)

That there be a modern wonder and worth a lot of $$. Mine was made of granite like Fred Flintstone's car.

Truth be known, I started on a Hodaka Ace 90 powered mini-bike in 1967 and my Dad bought me a brand new Hodaka Ace 90 in 1968. Last of the 90's as they went to 100cc mid 68'.
Like this and the one below

I had lots of dirt bikes (Bultaco Matador and Pursang, Suzuki 390) until my first street bike in 1972

Then I joined the US Army in 1974 and rode this for 2 years on Oahu
1968 BSA 650 Lightning with a 3/4 drag cam)

Lots of street bikes since then but no more dirt bikes except my current one.

stuna

Common motorcycle belief is replace the rotors every other time you replace the pads
my gl1800 has 96,000 miles on it i use ebc hh pads . I HAVE NOT CHANGED A ROTOR ON IT and i pull a trailer . have you checked the price of rotors :eek:

Spunky99

my gl1800 has 96,000 miles on it i use ebc hh pads . I HAVE NOT CHANGED A ROTOR ON IT and i pull a trailer . have you checked the price of rotors :eek:
Yes I did as a matter of fact and I nearly fainted....;)

Spunky99

CrazyCawi

holey Hayzues....good thing mine are good for now lol