Regarding restriction on xj6n

ttn

Hi guys , I have a throttle restriction on my 13' XJ6N and planning to remove it to have the full twist of the throttle but is is it just a simple task of removing this plate and installing the new plate.... or do you have to play round setting the ECU etc. etc....:eek::eek:

Cheers guys

ttn

c:

oh sweet as!!!! :)

anyone had it done yet? what am i expecting more mid/top end .... obviously bottom end still ganna be same same right? correct me if im wrong.

latony007

ok so I don't completely understand so forgive any stupid questions. Our bikes will do about 135 mph (217 kph) so yours will only do say 144 kph?
What does that mean for bigger bikes, do they sell like 750 or 1000cc there? if so what would be the point of getting one. Hell you might as well get a ninja 300 right?

Griff88

In the uk the license is split to a license(ride anything) a1(restricted to 47bhp(designed for people under 24)) and cbt(only valid for 2 years and upto 125cc or 50cc depending on age)

ttn

ok so I don't completely understand so forgive any stupid questions. Our bikes will do about 135 mph (217 kph) so yours will only do say 144 kph?
What does that mean for bigger bikes, do they sell like 750 or 1000cc there? if so what would be the point of getting one. Hell you might as well get a ninja 300 right?
hey man in australia restriction on some bikes are due to the reason with the licencing system that prohibits the rider from having a powerful bike
Learners---> Provisional 1---> Provisional 2 ----> Opens
so it takes awhile to be legally riding a full powered machine.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

latony007

Intentions are good. it's meant to keep inexperienced riders from hurting themselves... but, it's time/age based, not experiece based.... as in, you have to wait xxx months to move up... not test your experience... so, a flawed system imho.... I know people who have been riding for "years" who have no business riding... and others who have been riding for months who can control themselves...

a good idea... but flawed... again imho
so in other words once you have gotten your unrestricted license you take it back to the dealer and say take this crap off? is that correct? i bet it must really hurt the the sales of bigger bikes over there

Bert-Aus

Quite the opposite, it seems (IMO) that due to people being able to ride mid size bikes on their L, R2 & R1 (restricted liscense) that those who choose to ride for more than just commuting upgrade to a 1k or bigger bike relatively quick.

I am unsure as to whether long term it will make better riders or not. As I still see alot of riders who dont seem to have sensible riding practices in city traffic.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Malicioso

oh sweet as!!!! :)

anyone had it done yet? what am i expecting more mid/top end .... obviously bottom end still ganna be same same right? correct me if im wrong.
Hey there mate

I have done the de-restrict mod on my FZ6R, upon viewing the plate that is in place from the factory, it has a tab that limits the amount of movement the throttle cam/sprocket can do, you could simply cut it back only about 10~15mm because the plate also acts as a stop. I didn't want to go down this route as I'd like to be able to revert it back once it's time to move it on, this said your best bet is to either make up a plate, but to get this done correctly you really need a profile to be laser cut and then folded on a brake, because part of the plate has a 90deg bend which is what holds the pull/push throttle cables. The other option (which is what I did), was to purchase the de-restricted plate from Restart.

Power wise mid range and top end has a noticeable increase, the bike is definitely quicker but it's not like a crazy scary fast, you would have to be nudging the throttle pretty hard in 1st or 2nd gear to get the front wheel up. The bike also has a slightly different tone up in the rev range, might be because more air is being past through the throttle butterflies??? Oh and also before I forget, a mate of mine mentioned that the bike would benefit from a quarter turn throttle tube on the handlebar because now that it's de-restricted it needs quite a bit of movement to accelerate, I had a chat with a bloke who'd done it on his FZ6R and said that an R1 throttle tube works perfect, so that is what I'll be looking at doing next.

None the less it is a mod which is definitely worth it, once and only when you're off you R period and have you full license and experience, also you have to have lots of self control because it definitely is that much quicker, each to their own but please be very careful with this mod...

Ps: I'll try see if I can upload a photo of the original plate just to give ppl more of an idea of what it's like and show that it's not as simple to de-restrict as ppl first think.

Last edited:

ttn

Hey there mate

I have done the de-restrict mod on my FZ6R, upon viewing the plate that is in place from the factory, it has a tab that limits the amount of movement the throttle cam/sprocket can do, you could simply cut it back only about 10~15mm because the plate also acts as a stop. I didn't want to go down this route as I'd like to be able to revert it back once it's time to move it on, this said your best bet is to either make up a plate, but to get this done correctly you really need a profile to be laser cut and then folded on a brake, because part of the plate has a 90deg bend which is what holds the pull/push throttle cables. The other option (which is what I did), was to purchase the de-restricted plate from Restart.

Power wise mid range and top end has a noticeable increase, the bike is definitely quicker but it's not like a crazy scary fast, you would have to be nudging the throttle pretty hard in 1st or 2nd gear to get the front wheel up. The bike also has a slightly different tone up in the rev range, might be because more air is being past through the throttle butterflies??? Oh and also before I forget, a mate of mine mentioned that the bike would benefit from a quarter turn throttle tube on the handlebar because now that it's de-restricted it needs quite a bit of movement to accelerate, I had a chat with a bloke who'd done it on his FZ6R and said that an R1 throttle tube works perfect, so that is what I'll be looking at doing next.

None the less it is a mod which is definitely worth it, once and only when you're off you R period and have you full license and experience, also you have to have lots of self control because it definitely is that much quicker, each to their own but please be very careful with this mod...

Ps: I'll try see if I can upload a photo of the original plate just to give ppl more of an idea of what it's like and show that it's not as simple to de-restrict as ppl first think.

Yep cheers finally had enough of that restriction plate and took it out and cut through it!!
Pretty much spot on what you said much much more smoother throttle with mid to high increases in power if you go spastic crazy! ! No more choppiness as with the restriction gone with a different tone coming from the engine enjoying the bike how it's meant to be!!:D

Attachments

tanoz

In Australia it is actually experienced based. Assuming you ride frequently between applications.
Basically ( for Sydney) you have a learners permit for 3 months then are eligible to upgrade. You need to pass a very easy course and on road assessment then can apply for provisional 1. Then after a year you you get your p2. P2 for two years then your open licence. There is an exception that if you have your open car licence and are over 25 you skip P2.
The whole time you are restricted to bikes under a certain power to weight ratio.

New laws in Sydney are that once a bike has been derestricted, it can never be registered as rerestricted. Actually makes a restricted bike ( like ours of th ninja 650 or Suzuki 650) more valuable.

Most people selling it restricted then upgrade for that resale value. Also get caught with a derestricted bike and it's a huge fine and loss of licence. Also voids your insurance in full. If you get caught, guess what, because the bike has been derestricted you can't ride it.

ttn

In Australia it is actually experienced based. Assuming you ride frequently between applications.
Basically ( for Sydney) you have a learners permit for 3 months then are eligible to upgrade. You need to pass a very easy course and on road assessment then can apply for provisional 1. Then after a year you you get your p2. P2 for two years then your open licence. There is an exception that if you have your open car licence and are over 25 you skip P2.
The whole time you are restricted to bikes under a certain power to weight ratio.

New laws in Sydney are that once a bike has been derestricted, it can never be registered as rerestricted. Actually makes a restricted bike ( like ours of th ninja 650 or Suzuki 650) more valuable.

Most people selling it restricted then upgrade for that resale value. Also get caught with a derestricted bike and it's a huge fine and loss of licence. Also voids your insurance in full. If you get caught, guess what, because the bike has been derestricted you can't ride it.
Pretty certain regarding registering is upmost possible again. Many have done so without any problems . But yes you are right where the situation involves the insurance companies then see you bye. All in all just just ride safe and don't attract yourself to the authorities and should be sweet.

tanoz

I meant if you get caught and they say it's derestricted, they won't allow you to register it as restricted even if you pop the plate on. I agree just ride safe and you won't have an issue though. Majority of the people who take it off never have an issue so it's not much concern unless you come by the rare cop who miraculously knows about our throttle restriction.

adamo3957

This is the definition of an age/time based system and nothing to do with experience...

Experience would allow you to take the test based on control of the vehicle at hand...

The reason for age/time restrictions is that they're easier to police/monitor/manage

luke1088

I done a pretty serious write up of what i went throught to leagaly derestict my bike.

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f91/instructions-how-derestrict-yamaha-xj6n-l-fz6r-31035/

In essence, my bike is no longer a LAMS bike and never can be again (im in QLD).

My insurence was fine with me derestricting my bike - provided i was now licenced (open R) to ride my "now open" bike.

For the guy in the uk, our learner bikes "LAMS" are limited to a max 660cc bike at a set power to waight ratio. This does not apply to open licenced riders who can ride any bike they want. If the bike isnt clased as LAMS (and there is a list of bikes that are), than there is no restriction for eg: R1's, gsxr 1k's, zx 1k ect.... Are all all full power. Some bikes come under the 660cc cap for LAMS like the yamaha R6, GSXR 650 ect... But these bikes are to light and too powerfull for the power-to-weight limits of LAMS, thus they are also non restricted full power bikes that only open licence riders can ride.

I hope my 2cents is worth it.

Last edited: