Reasons to wear gear

Spunky99

Alpinestars S-MX-5 boots....zero damage to feet..not even sore and the boots are fine too although I have to replace the toe sliders as they are ground to nothing.

Scorpion 700 helmet. Replaced face shield, right side air vent and it's good as new. Head is as good as it was before the crash.

Speed and Strength Twist of fate jacket. 3 broken ribs and a sprained/temporarily dislocated shoulder. Jacket got scuffed and slight stains on the pure white. The elbow took a hard knock by the scuff marks on the jacket but the elbow is perfectly fine. There is no padding on the chest or collar bone so the injuries are typical of any jacket if not wearing a armour system underneath. But then you are hot as heck....why wear mesh at all then?

Love the post FZRblack...you drive home the importance of gear. My whole butt is pink from roadrash from inline racing. 25 mph and sliding will make you look like Brittany for sure. I got a heck of a lot less roadrash in the motorcycle accident than any fall I've ever taken on skates.

Frank Thomas mesh pants. No hip protection so I still have hard lumpy areas around the right hip under the skin and has a slight light skin road rash on the hip area that has healed. Right knee was road rashed where the seam popped open and exposed my knee. Left kneecap is still sore but no rash.

Gloves weren't even scuffed and hands and wrists perfectly fine.

My gear was great in the accident but I'll replace the pants when the sales come around. The 600 denier and hip padding is very important to me. Maybe some hard armor for the knees.

Last edited:

Sparkxx1

If I bump this does it show up on recently commented on? big bump for start of the 2011 summer riding season!

good it worked too many squidlys out today, was not kool. Plus people also decided to leave their brains at home (cagers).

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

FZ6Rob85

I know I am preaching to the choir here, but please everyone, ride safe, ride smart, and ATGATT. A man I graduated from high school with here in Ohio was killed Thursday when he lost control of his '96 Yamaha and collided with a tractor trailer. At 27 years old he leaves behind a young daughter, twin brother (who also has children), and younger sister. It is a sobering dose of reality and makes me all the more motivated to learn all that I can and wear proper gear.

Wooster

I know I am preaching to the choir here, but please everyone, ride safe, ride smart, and ATGATT. A man I graduated from high school with here in Ohio was killed Thursday when he lost control of his '96 Yamaha and collided with a tractor trailer. At 27 years old he leaves behind a young daughter, twin brother (who also has children), and younger sister. It is a sobering dose of reality and makes me all the more motivated to learn all that I can and wear proper gear.
All the gear in the world isn't going to save you if you collide with a tractor trailer. But I agree, ride safe and most importantly ride smart.

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

Ivan_13

I don't know about you guys, but I always cringe when I see someone riding in shorts and a t-shirt. They're just begging for it..
Working as a 911 ambulance medic, I work on motorcycle accidents at least once a day. Those pictures from the op don't even do the severity of some accidents justice. I'm sure I'm just :deadhorse: , but

PLEASE WEAR YOUR GEAR AT ALL TIMES.

I wouldn't even go around the corner without gear on..

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

BoneJj

I don't know about you guys, but I always cringe when I see someone riding in shorts and a t-shirt. They're just begging for it..
Working as a 911 ambulance medic, I work on motorcycle accidents at least once a day. Those pictures from the op don't even do the severity of some accidents justice. I'm sure I'm just :deadhorse: , but

PLEASE WEAR YOUR GEAR AT ALL TIMES.

I wouldn't even go around the corner without gear on..
Maybe you should be taking pictures of accident scenes and postings them up on different sites to get the point the across.

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

BoneJj

That would probably get him in BIG trouble.
actually no, if faces aren't included and no personal information is distributed then it's perfectly legal.

I've been in the medical industry for the last 15-20 years now and have come to know those HIPAA laws quite well. That and we used to do that up north and locally in florida and it was all legal but I don't ride a rig anymore so I can't do that one anymore.

Ivan_13

actually no, if faces aren't included and no personal information is distributed then it's perfectly legal.

I've been in the medical industry for the last 15-20 years now and have come to know those HIPAA laws quite well. That and we used to do that up north and locally in florida and it was all legal but I don't ride a rig anymore so I can't do that one anymore.
Although its not illegal, it's against our company policy. It's viewed as unprofessional, and they say we should be working, not taking pictures.

Ivan_13

Maybe you should be taking pictures of accident scenes and postings them up on different sites to get the point the across.

I wish I could. I really wish I could..

So you guys think those pictures and videos on the op are bad.? I'm glad they were lucky enough to be able to be able to talk about their accidents. Just remember that there's lots of unfortunate riders that don't live to tell about it.

BoneJj

I wish I could. I really wish I could..

So you guys think those pictures and videos on the op are bad.? I'm glad they were lucky enough to be able to be able to talk about their accidents. Just remember that there's lots of unfortunate riders that don't live to tell about it.
sometimes IF you get the right supervisor they will tell you to take photos of the accidents. That's what I ran into for years... I knew the director of EMT services here in the county, still know him actually and while I worked with him he told us, if we have a minute we should take photos of the injuries. He used to post the motorcycle accident injury photos on some site to help promote people to wear their gear or at least re-enforced jeans and better upper wear. It was working quite well for a while but people are stubborn. I should ask him if he has the old files from when I worked with him years ago.

When I was active duty we used film cameras up until the last year. I have some of the negatives from then still actually. I was in charge of getting them developed and maintaining the negatives. They are still locked away in one of containers in the back of the walk in closet with all the other stuff from when I was active duty. One of these years I'll take the time to open those containers again and pull some stuff out of them.

Last time I opened them was just to pull out my knives, hasp and hand cuffs. Those were for when the girl friend came over.... lol. I keed I keed, maybe.....

okay, I digressed enough for now....

ylwf3vr

Old thread.. but I just got myself some armored pants and boots. I always wear helmet, jacket, and gloves..

Just wondering if you all wear ALL the gear just out on the street.. maybe commuting to work?

I wear jeans and boots (not motorcycle boots) now but I'm thinking of wearing everything. Yeah people might think I'm a little paranoid or weird or "wanna be racer" for wearing all that.. but can't be too safe?