Random noise from front wheel

methusalem

Hey guys,

I have an '09 that's got about 10k miles on it. Sometimes, often when accelerating, there's a noise coming from what seems the front wheel that sounds like metal lightly rubbing on metal. I brought it to a shop to get a leaky fork seal replaced and told them to look into it, but they couldn't find anything. Though I doubt it's a good shop.

It usually goes away after a couple seconds, and sometimes varies in volume though the pitch is rather constant.

Could it be that one of my brake pads is loose/moving in some way? If it was the ball bearings, I'd venture to guess the shop would have found the problem... is there any way I can check if those are alright?

Thanks!

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

redprodigy35

Metal against metal sounds when off the line huh?

Well... I do get that buzzing sound we are all familiar with on hard acceleration, but it's been discussed so much on here and I'm so use to it I don't even notice anymore.

I wonder if that's what your talking about? Or something else?

methusalem

Metal against metal sounds when off the line huh?

Well... I do get that buzzing sound we are all familiar with on hard acceleration, but it's been discussed so much on here and I'm so use to it I don't even notice anymore.

I wonder if that's what your talking about? Or something else?
buzzing sound? No, not buzzing. Can you still link me to a thread about it? It's not buzzing, but a really disconcerting metal on metal grinding noise.

JSP

Super Moderator
buzzing sound? No, not buzzing. Can you still link me to a thread about it? It's not buzzing, but a really disconcerting metal on metal grinding noise.

Sure its not your chain you are hearing? For sure front wheel? How do your break pads look? Could be time for replacement? Pads will always have a very slight drag on the rotor, but never make a grinding sound.

methusalem

Sure its not your chain you are hearing? For sure front wheel? How do your break pads look? Could be time for replacement? Pads will always have a very slight drag on the rotor, but never make a grinding sound.
Thought it might be chain, but I'm dead certain it's coming from the front. Chain makes a lower pitched and lower volume sound.

How are my break pads supposed to look?

JSP

Super Moderator
Thought it might be chain, but I'm dead certain it's coming from the front. Chain makes a lower pitched and lower volume sound.

How are my break pads supposed to look?

Supposed to look like you have pads ;)

Worn Vs. New. If they are bad and you wait too long, they can wreck your rotor.... which isnt super cheap.

methusalem

Supposed to look like you have pads ;)

Worn Vs. New. If they are bad and you wait too long, they can wreck your rotor.... which isnt super cheap.

I can take them off myself? I'm more of an electrical than mechanical tinkerer, so this is a little intimidating, but sounds like fun :)

JSP

Super Moderator
I can take them off myself? I'm more of an electrical than mechanical tinkerer, so this is a little intimidating, but sounds like fun :)

You should be able to get a decent visual without taking them off. But it is super easy to take them off. Pull the caliper, DO NOT touch the brake lever when caliper is off. Pads pop right out. If replacing with new pads, you will need to use C-Clamps to squish the caliper pistons back in so you can get the caliper back on the rotor since there is a closer distance between the pads because they are new with more material.

yfz6r

Check your pads. If the look good, get to speed and brake hard on them. (not so hard that you lock the wheel). Disk breaks sometimes get buildup on them when they aren't used heavily. Just a thought.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Crpngdth

Why does my bike not witsle. :(
i always thought my bike "whistled" also until i took it for a ride one day without my helmet on. curiously enough, no whistle at all, so im assuming it had to be the way the wind is hitting the helmet. if this is in fact the case, i would imagine as small as 1/4 inch of difference in helmet placement, or the helmet style itself would eliminiate the noise.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

methusalem

We have had a couple threads on this. It is just your brake pads slightly touching the disk just enough to cause a rubbing noise. It is nothing to worry about. Mine was the same way. I put it up on my front stand, spun the wheel and there it was. Your brakes are made so the pads barely touch the disk and if it had a gap and you pressed the front brake you would get a sudden stoping jolt.
Ya, I know about that. But the rubbing noise being very loud sometimes must mean that there's something a little out of alignment/fixable to make it go away, right?

efforex

Ya, I know about that. But the rubbing noise being very loud sometimes must mean that there's something a little out of alignment/fixable to make it go away, right?
I now from personally experience once i hear a noise i tend to get paranoid with it cause i want my bike running 1000% but most of the time its just that me freaking out over nothing brakes are a very simple thing. If your truly worried replace the lines like you said and front pads my guess (as it was explained to me ) is the caliper kinda hovers around the rotor and while riding it shakes making contact and making a metal on metal sound they told me this at the dealer and no matter what sport or super sport bike i buy will always do this.