r6 motor in fz6r ???

jdmspec42

Does anyone know if an 03-05 r6 motor would bolt up to our bikes ? I would imagine they would because their similiar castings ? Any help would be great ...... I know if you want the power of an r6 buy an r6, the route I went I saved money and insurance is much cheaper lol

jdmspec42

Definitely plan to as long as I know fure sure the engine will bolt up I can do the wirirng and swap to r6 gauges I'm just not willing to fab the frame on a new bike lol

Funkmaxtor

Not sure about this but there are handlebar risers available the R6 . Handle bar and peg position is the biggest comfort difference between our bikes and the R6. I would like to see an R6 motor in our bikes. The only reason I can see myself getting another bike is gain some power. That won't happen anytime soon though. I'm still content with this bike.

joloy133

Not sure about this but there are handlebar risers available the R6 . Handle bar and peg position is the biggest comfort difference between our bikes and the R6. I would like to see an R6 motor in our bikes. The only reason I can see myself getting another bike is gain some power. That won't happen anytime soon though. I'm still content with this bike.[/QUOTE

Entirely different motor.......not just HP!!!!! Its geared different, revs different, less low end torque, peaky until higher in RPM range. It might be better to pursue the turbo option to keep the best characteristics of how the 6R was designed to run and get better HP/high end performance. (But it would be different!)

Roaddawg

I know that would be cool....only FZ6R with an R6 motor and all....but do you think the bike can handle that power? It isn't designed for that torque and HP. What about the brakes, frame strength, swing arm....It'd be like putting a supercharged V-8 into a Miata. I think you'd be opening up a lot worm cans. But, give it a try and let us know how it goes. :)

MikeN02

I know that would be cool....only FZ6R with an R6 motor and all....but do you think the bike can handle that power? It isn't designed for that torque and HP. What about the brakes, frame strength, swing arm....It'd be like putting a supercharged V-8 into a Miata. I think you'd be opening up a lot worm cans. But, give it a try and let us know how it goes. :)
Would be awesome to see him hauling #$% on it and the bolts, fairings, and frame give away because he's going so fast.

btastarsky

Actually, i've seen a miata with a built chevy 350 in it before. It handled it just fine once a couple of structural enhancements were made. I think our frame would be ok with an r6 motor. It might need a couple small braces in a couple spots, but nothing major. Dont forget that older r6's had similar materials for the frame as we have now.The fairings are held on by the same fasteners as an r6 or r1, so nothing to worry about there. The biggest challenge would be the fuel system and computer swap as far as I can see.

WenMark

Why doesn't someone just write Yamaha and ask them what we can do to add some HP to the engine. It seems like were going to get more power threads constantly. I do believe there was a reason that they reduced the HP for this particular model, but hey maybe there is a way to add some back in.

Spunky99

I personally like the midrange power.
It is so nice to power away from a car that just swerves into your lane.
I did that today will full confidence.
She ran a red right turn and I changed lanes to the left to avoid her and then she started into my lane as we were side by side.
I hit the gas and powered away to safety and did not have to downshift.
If I had a tweaky peaky engine, by the time I downshifted I would be hit or have had to hit the brakes.
I really like the powerband of this bike as it is!

JSP

Super Moderator

husker525

Some of the subtle differences between the FZ6R engine and the R6 motor is a different cam profile, smaller throttle bodies, different porting profiles in the head, slightly different exhaust profile, and the electronic mapping and timing.

The camshaft profile makes the most significant difference in the powerband between the 2 bikes. The R6 has larger throttle bodies, which become more effective with that cam profile. You can build a faster FZ6R, but the transmission gearing is based around this particular powerband. You can compensate for this somewhat with a gearing change. This is a relatively new bike, as popularity grows, I think you will see more available in the aftermarket world as far as exhaust systems, controllers, throttle bodies, and especially aftermarket cams.

Just my 2 cents....

btastarsky

Shouldn't any aftermarket cam that fits the r6 also fit our bike? I dont see why not. The combustion chamber is different along with the intake and exhaust runner sizes/dimensions but the heads should be just about the same externally. Plus, I've heard of people with fz6's putting r6 cams in. Dont see why it would be different for the r6 to fz6r swap.

jdmspec42

i would love this bike to hit 17k on the tach, now i just need to find the best way to do it. has anyone noticed this bike doesnt do so great at higher speeds? not power wise but handling ?

arkkornkid

i would love this bike to hit 17k on the tach, now i just need to find the best way to do it. has anyone noticed this bike doesnt do so great at higher speeds? not power wise but handling ?
I haven't noticed any high-speed handling issues, and I hit triple digits regularly. Even untucked it feels completely stable.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't noticed any high-speed handling issues, and I hit triple digits regularly. Even untucked it feels completely stable.
Agreed! :D Although, I would love to see a company come out with a steering damper.

Spunky99

Agreed! :D Although, I would love to see a company come out with a steering damper.
Try here....They may have one that you can get fitted. Might require a little custom adapter but they are definitely available.

Steering Dampers

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member

JSP

Super Moderator

Spunky99