Question for OZ owners

brente1982

Hi guys, in the next couple of months I'll be getting my license and bike and besides the cost of the bike, what other associated costs will I encounter with the initial purchase. I'm talking rough estimates for equipment, rego (if needed) insurance etc etc.

I'm located in Melbourne.

Cheers

latony007

Hi guys, in the next couple of months I'll be getting my license and bike and besides the cost of the bike, what other associated costs will I encounter with the initial purchase. I'm talking rough estimates for equipment, rego (if needed) insurance etc etc.

Cheers
I cant tell you what the costs will be down under but the first thing you will need is gear. Cant go riding with out a great helmet obviously and a jacket and gloves, preferably armored. If your getting an FZ6R id get frame sliders right away as well. The rest you can add on as you go. Everything from super powered head lights to custom seats and new grips. Insurance is required here in the states and can range a lot depending on what state and whether you want full coverage or just liability. Hope that helps

Bert-Aus

Like anything it all depends on how much you are willing to spend.
Best bet is to know your budget and go shopping in at least 3 different stores for an idea on price ranges of the gear you desire.

But as a ball park figure expect atleast $1k on gear (Helmet, gloves, jacket, pants, boots).
You may find entire kit for less but expect around that, and dont worry there is always something more pricey, should you look.

Safe riding gear is the most important factor if you want to keep your skin.

As far as optional extras they can wait till you can afford or desire.

Last edited:

Bert-Aus

Yeah cheers.

As far as insurance goes, what do most of you in Australia pay, be it 3rd part or full comp??
Insurance depending on your age they will shaft where-ever they can,

When I was in my early 20's I was paying around $1200 a year (full comp)
now I'm 36 and paying around $390 a year (full comp) but I have had 2 claims in the last 3 years.
Swan, AAMI and InsureMyRide I found to be similar in premium, yet vastly different in coverage.
Shannon's I tried with them but failed their qualification tests?? I think you need to be a member of a registered club to be insured by them.

I am currently with InsureMyRide as they have best premium and coverage for me.

VRIIClubby

If you buy your FZ6R through Yamaha finance your full comprehensive etc is included for the first year.

As Bert stated, all depends on what you want/can spend.

Me being a Novice I really wanted to try and buy the best gear I could afford, I spent just under $2K the day I picked my bike up, Most of that was on a Helmet, Boots and Jacket.

Yamaha also give you $1 for every CC of the bike you purchase for "L" plated bikes to spend on gear from a defined list - mostly Ixon gear, I loaded up on many different gloves as the other gear I wanted wasnt on the list.

I just called NRMA this arvo to do some other insurance matters and got a qoute for the bike, $396 a year, full no claim and over 30, that WILL change though as they arent aware yet that I have lost my licence :( More around the $1K mark now im guessing.

big thing with insurance is check the policy for amounts, NRMA only cover $2K on gear, $1K max per item, Swann and others are around $2.K plus another $1.5K for the helmet etc.

other expenses - services, 1st service was about $100,
can of chain lube about $20-$30
tyres - depends on what you want, I think about $300 for a good set? Cheap compared to my car which costs $480 per corner!!!

Mods....at least $2K.... lol

Malicioso

Cheers
Hey mate I'm also Located in Melb and new to riding.

With regards to cost I can tell you that it really comes down to the level of protection and comfort you want, jump onto Motorcycle Jackets, Motorcycle Gear, Helmets & Accessories - RevZilla they have great review videos and go into great detail on various products. I personally optioned to go for mid to entry level gear after doing loads and loads of research I ended up buying Bell RS1 helmet $400, Bell Dark Visor $50, Dainese Cage Jacket $490, Dainese Carbon Back Gloves $170, Alpine Stars Fastlane Mid Boots $149, Draggin Kevlar Drift Jeans $220, Bike disc lock $30...

So that's just over $1,500 just on gear, all purchased @ Peter Stevens, this amount could have easily been more but me being me I tried haggling with them as much as possible which in turn brought the total amount down, so best to set a budget and when it comes to it make sure they look after you on price, specially if you're also buying a bike from them.

With regards to insurance I totally agree with VRIIClubby...

gibbo

apart from the bike cost i spend $950 on gear just to get me on the road riding my bike.
I bought a good helmet, decent jacket and gloves.

after that i have bought a rain suit, boots, riding jeans. i'm still wanting more gear but i think all of that is minimum you would need and prob cost so far $1500.

Always buy the most expensive helmet you can afford and shop around for specials as i got $300 off my helmet.