Purolator PL14610 Blue or Yellow?

Hello Y'all, i'm not sure if this is the correct spot to post this but I recently purchased an 09 FZ6R with just over 10k miles on it (fastest blue color)

I have no clue when the oil was changed last so I thought I would change the oil and oil filter for my piece of mind. I was thinking about using Rotella T6 5w-40 synthetic oil (Alot of people use it and recommend it on here). I saw on here everyone recommends the K&N-204 oil filter I tried to buy this from the local shop and they weren't allowed to sell me this filter because of an apparent recall. So after searching close to every oil thread on the site I see a lot of people are running the Purolator PL14610 oil filter, I have read countless good reviews about these oil filters and thought I would give it a shot. My only question is I guess the newer Purolator filters are yellow but the only ones the local shop had are the older blue color ones. Will the blue Purolator PL14610 filter be adequate to use? Also what is the difference between the blue and yellow besides the color scheme? This will be my first oil change on the bike so I don't want to mess anything up.

P.S. By no means am I trying to start a new oil thread, just a newbie verifying the things I have been reading, thanks!

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

tdnathens

The yellow filters are a later production than the blue. The quality is the same. There has been a manufacturing change in Pl14610. The newest manufacturing has the threads on a flat plate. The earlier filters have a concave thread plate. The later flat threaded filters will bottom out on the threads before the rubber washer seals. Many bikes will leak using these later flat threaded filters. This change was made on many brands of filters. All motorcycle specific filters of any brand did not have this change. As far as I know all the blue Purolator Pl14610 filters have the concave threaded plate. You can look up the specifics of this problem by searching the Triumphrat.net Bonneville forums. Bonneville's use the same filter as our FZ6R's.
Tom