Probably too young!

Username

I don't know who the youngest member is yet but I'm going to assume I'll probably be one of the younger guys on here, hopefully you guys wont judge me too much. :p

I live in South Dakota where you can get your drivers license at 14, which I did... I have been driving for a little over 2 years now and I've wanted a motorcycle for little over 5ish years, and finally after saving up money myself with a job I am able to afford one! A 2009 FZ6R with only 4,000 miles on it! And it was a heck of a deal at only $2,400. Mechanically it sounds and looks perfect but since it had a salved title (It was just tipped!) I assume that's why the price was so low. Anyway i'll figure out if it was good investment in a couple of months when it gets warm enough to actually ride it!

But yeah, I'm 16 years old with 2 years of driving experience and I feel like a FZ6R is a perfect bike. Maybe not exactly to begin with but it's perfect for what I'm looking for which is a city cruiser/summer commuter, gas mileage can be double what I get now depending on how I drive and it is more than powerful enough to handle a passenger, and highway speeds as well.

I feel like that might be a lengthy introduction but no one is forces to read it :p Hope I grow older and wiser with this forum and my trusty FZ6R, with such low mileage i plan on having it for a looooong time!

FastFreddy

I was 39 when I bought my FZ6R.

The riding part is easy, you just have to practice a lot.

The difficult part at 16 is getting familiar with the patterns of behaviour of other road users. You basically don't want to put yourself in danger, if in doubt slow down and back off and keep out of danger, make yourself noticed on the road.

Please be sensible among traffic.

If there's not much traffic around you, then stay comfortable at all times, if you feel uncomfortable slow down. Don't push, always stay comfortable and get better over time, give yourself time.

Username

I was 39 when I bought my FZ6R.

The riding part is easy, you just have to practice a lot.

The difficult part at 16 is getting familiar with the patterns of behaviour of other road users. You basically don't want to put yourself in danger, if in doubt slow down and back off and keep out of danger, make yourself noticed on the road.

Please be sensible among traffic.

If there's not much traffic around you, then stay comfortable at all times, if you feel uncomfortable slow down. Don't push, always stay comfortable and get better over time, give yourself time.
Hey thanks for responding! But yeah I agree, and I figure that since I've been driving and getting familiar with traffic around where I live I should be fine.

Brock Kickass

Hey thanks for responding! But yeah I agree, and I figure that since I've been driving and getting familiar with traffic around where I live I should be fine.

You'll be fine if you are careful. Just don't let your guard down. I've been driving (on the road) for most of 20 years and I still get surprised by the amazing and stupid things people will do out there. You can never have too much experience; for that matter you can never have enough. I mean no offence by this, because I was 16 once too, but try not to ride like a teenager and you'll be pretty safe. Know your limitations, save the high speed antics for the track, and hang up your keys if you plan on having a drink. But that's enough of the Mom rant. I'm sure you have heard it a million times. Enjoy that bike, they're a ton of fun!

Riccochet

My suggestion would be to take a MSF course. And get lots of gear. Jacket, pants, boots, gloves. Gear can be replaced, skin, well, skin sucks when it's scraped off by asphalt. ;)

Good luck, ride safe!

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

rhnatyk

First of all, great Username.

Second, take the MSF course. Don't even think about, just do it.

And finally, you need to take that bike to a competent dealer and have it thoroughly inspected. A "salvage title" means that an insurance company "totaled" the bike and sold it as salvage. Not something they'd do if the bike was just "tipped over". Sounds like someone bought it from the insurance company and put it back together to sell. You don't want to find out if the work done is OK, by getting out there and riding it.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Grumpy

Get the bike inspected, tip overs don't get salvage titles.

If you have never ridden, do you self a favor and go to a MSF course maybe two.

Learn to develop good situational awareness by always knowing who and what is around you all the time. You can even do this and should be doing this while driving your car.

Here are some books I think everyone who rides should have, no matter what bike you pilot.

A Twist of the Wrist I and II, Keith Code (plus the DVDs).
Total Control, Lee Parks
Sport Riding Techniques, Nick Ienatsch

Cheers! and Welcome! :thumbup:

Username

I forgot to say that this bike was wrecked at 2,000 miles and the guy I'm buying it from fixed it at a dealer and rode it for 2,500 more miles! We've gone and inspected it and it looks solid so all I have to wait for is the weather to clear up and after taking the MSF courses and my license ill take it down to a mechanic and see what needs to be fixed or repaired.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes by the way! I was kind of expecting a lot of negative responses because of my age and the fact that im starting on a 600. Great thread and im already learning a lot more about the 6r and motorcycles!

Brock Kickass

It's a great place to learn about this bike. There are a lot of people with all kinds of experience with this bike and riding in general. Good luck with the MSF and enjoy riding. It's a 600 but it is very smooth and makes usable power low in the tach. If you have any background with bikes it makes an excellent starter bike. It won't fight you when you ride it gently and it has enough snap to have a bit of fun once you have the basics down pat. Welcome to the forum!

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

SAFE-T

The biggest issues with the FZ6R as a first bike is that it's heavy at slow speeds and pretty darn fast when you get on some throttle. You need more skill and discipline than most 16yr olds have. I know lots of people who were lifelong bike owners who had kids that got streetbikes at 16 and never biffed it, so with the right instruction and attitude you should be fine :)

latony007

as someone else said riding is the easy part. Predicting what other idiots on the road are going to do is much harder. Just assume everyone does NOT see you. And as also mentioned I was 16 once too, a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, and I would have done some really stupid crap on this bike at that age so try and avoid that :)

I would also agree to get the bike inspected. My brother bought a ninja 650 salvage and has had no problems with it.

gear up, and don't let JT get you started on Mods you will be broke inside a week!! Kidding there are some fun easy mods for this bike like the signals and FE kit.

Zgovitz

Tony is right though lol, mods do get expensive. After throwing frame sliders on my bike today I decided to total up how much I have spent modding my bike and so far I'm at about $1000 or so. Bike is pretty nice though lol. As for being 16, drive safe. I'm 23 so I am one of the younger people on this site too I would imagine, but like others mentioned it doesn't matter how old you are when your parked at a stop sign and some dumbass comes is searching for their cell phone they dropped between the seats and rear ends you at 30 mph. Watch your mirrors, know your outs and drive safe. Keep the front wheel down for awhile ;-)

You're never too young to ride, I learned at 14 as well in Texas. My dad saw my interest in his Vulcan 600 shaft-drive and asked if I wanted to learn. He tossed me the keys and said good luck and be careful. Took me a couple of hours just to figure out how the clutch system works. Once I got it moving, I took it around the block a few times to learn the shifting and balance. Afterwards, I took it on an open stretch on this freshly paved road next to a sugarcane field. Took that bike up to 100 (no gear, no helmet, and 4 hours experience) and I'm lucky to still be here. As long as you are aware of everything around you and you learn to predict other vehicles movements, you'll enjoy every minute of riding. Just don't start trying to do stunts, that's no bueno.

knightmare

At 16 most people are not worried about safety.... Best thing to do is take all the classes u can take.... Also spend a lil extra money on good gear.... Don't skimp on safety gear.... Also I know ur going to do it cuz everyone here has.... But keep it slow for now and don't open it up until u get more experience... I hate talking to guys who been riding for less then a year and already been in 3 crashes.... Take ur time and plan for the worst.... U want to make it to 18.... But congrats on the bike.... Great first bike.... Treat her nice and she will take cars of u....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travisH3

Im 21 and started out with a 08 ninja 250r when i was 16 with my MC temps. in ohio to get your full MC endorsement you have to take the MSF class if your under 18 so thats what i did. i strongly recommend the msf class. i had a blast with my group. the class part was boring but once you get to go out and ride on the turd of a bike you get, its a good time. Not only will MSF class teach you alot but i know and im sure you will find out insurance isnt cheap for us and a 600cc bike. i have liability only with fire and theft and uninsured motorists added on because my bike is parked at school and not in the best area down town. MSF class will get you a slight discount on insurance, along with good student discount, farm burea dicount.. etc mine is like $350 a year. take your time, fz6r is pretty heavy and has good power. not sure how tall you are but you may want to look into lowering it if you cant reach to the ground. i like to make sure i can put my feet flat on the ground for better control of the bike. scares me when i see new riders tip toeing a bigger bike.

thats about all i got, change the oil, grease chain, check brakes and tires and these things pretty much are problem free.

DevlDog

I also strongly recommend the MSF. Once you get done with it, your confidence will go way up. Before I took it, my bike scared the freaking crap out of me. Afterwards, it was nowhere near as bad. Since you already have more previous experience, it won't do anything but help you get more familiar. I also have a 2009 fz6r, and I love riding it. Anyone who knows me knows if it's sunny out and I can, I'm on it going where-ever I need to go. Hopefully you'll have just as much fun.

If I could offer any other advice, it would be to be much much much more careful of other drives. You know and can control what you're doing, but that joker coming up to that intersection up ahead...you never know if he's going to run it because he either just doesn't see you, or just doesn't give a crap.