Power Commander or Juice box necessary?

bakkenlab

So i am going to mod my exhaust by putting on some r6 headers and then a viper slip on...i was just wondering if it is absolutely necessary to have juice box or a power commander for the time being? I am planning on buying one down the road, but i cant buy one now since they're close to 250 to 300 bucks.

So basically im asking if i can have my modded exhaust and run it for a couple of months while i save money to buy the PC or is it recommended that i wait on installing the exhaust until i get a power commander? Thanks for the help!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

bakkenlab

alright awesome, i was worried it would screw something up in the engine with gas flow but glad i dont have to worry about that for a bit! Thanks

lol colorado's been PMSing like a bitch...all of the mountains are getting snow but the front range hasnt gotten shit yet...maybe like half an inch all year so far. Its 55 today so i rode to class today, but once winter hits i was going to install the exhaust so itll give me something to do...so im only riding maybe 2 times a week now depending of the temp so hopefully i can save enough over winter for the power commander. Thanks again for the info guys!

and is this a better solution compared to the block off plates?

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f91/removing-pops-after-installing-new-exhaust-system-17803/

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Spunky99

:) What Marthy said...

But, you're in CO, so, are you actually riding regularly right now? :confused: :D

It wont hurt the engine if that's what you're worried about. It just won't be running optimally.

You'll also want to search for "block off plates" as well, or you'll get some annoying popping on deceleration.
I kind of like the popping sounds like the old 2 stroke 250 dirt bikes of yesteryear. I'll try to install the backoff plates this weekend.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MikeN02

Actually guys I believe it's necessary to get a fuel management device. My friend replaced his Cat with a Y pipe like many other sportbikes to basically run a full system. I'm still trying to get him to get a fuel management device.

So I'm making him get a A/F ratio dyno readout soon.

If you guys recall, replacing the stock exhaust with an after-market exhaust lets more air in thus making the engine more lean (dry, more air coming in less fuel is being added). It's always better to run rich (more fuel than air) then to run lean. The bikes ECU can't adjust to an after-market exhaust so it can't give out enough fuel to match the new Air to Fuel Ratio (A/F Ratio). That's why a fuel management device needs to come in to play. You can download the maps off the internet and put it on there but for best results is to get a dyno run to build a custom map (Map is a A/F Ratio) for your set location because of your area's temperature levels, elevation etc.

Overall, I believe it might not seem like you're damaging anything. But you're slowing damaging your engine because it's running so dry.

Also, I have a Juicebox for sale if you're interested. Send me a pm.

bakkenlab

ill keep that in mind, ill PM u in a second here to MikeN02, i just need to save some money over winter break so i can afford it. But i wasnt planning on running without a JB or PC forever, i just wanted to know if i could run without it for a couple of months so i could buy one once i save up.

And i live in fort collins, its about an hour north of denver, its not to bad, but like u said not the best either.

cavcuz05

yes:thumbup:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MBA DIVA

If adding a Two Brothers Exhaust to FZ6R...

If I upgrade the exhaust on my FZ6R to a TB M-2, do I need to add a juice box?

Tmak73

You don't need to but I would if I were you

CrazyCawi

How about a dyno tune?

JSP

Super Moderator
You actually do need to... of course you can choose NOT to, but it is highly recommended otherwise you can end up running too lean which CAN cause damage to the bike. You need to get the proper fuel/air mixture.

Sparkxx1

You actually do need to... of course you can choose NOT to, but it is highly recommended otherwise you can end up running too lean which CAN cause damage to the bike. You need to get the proper fuel/air mixture.
+1

yeah it's like when you asked your teacher in elementary, "can I go to the bathroom." The proper way is May I, except in this case...You could go without one, but the proper way to go about the exhaust change is to add the JB or PC at the same time. Over time it can and will damage your motorcycle if you don't.

auniquesoul

so where do you mount the jb or pc? do you have to have visibility to it at all times?

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member