Possibly buying new fz6

Lpfm1990

I currently ride a 2013 dr650, and like to upgrade to something little more street friendly (6speed, liquid cooled, better road tires) I have a whole 1100 miles of riding (still a noob I guess). So stopped buy my dealer I got my dr from. And he has a new 15 fz6r right now he's discounting pretty good. Like my dr which is a good bike. But has its "stuff" you have to do or problems can arise, what do I need to look at as a must do? Or known issues? Or what?

Superzoom

On FZ6Rs manufactured last fall, some have been recalled for an incorrectly manufactured shift shaft assembly. Will be fixed under warranty. Google for the VIN range.

Other than that, the FZ6R is pretty close to flawless, especially in terms of mechanical soundness.

You will probably want to replace the windshield with a less turbulent one, and perhaps the seat, but everything else would just be rider preference.

You can't go wrong with the FZ6R if you are looking for a solid all-rounder and a good value.

Lpfm1990

Ok. Which windshield do you recommend? And how bad is the seat? Can't be no worse then my 2x4 board of a seat with 1/4 of foam and vinal.

xorbe

DR650 -> FZ6R
34.8" -> 30.9" seat height
36 whp 366 lbs -> 68 whp 470 lbs

Power-wise something street similar would be like the CBR500R at 42 whp 425 lbs, or the new R3 at 38 whp 368 lbs. FZ6R is going to be notably faster, just fyi.

Puig touring windscreen here.

Lpfm1990

DR650 -> FZ6R
34.8" -> 30.9" seat height
36 whp 366 lbs -> 68 whp 470 lbs

Power-wise something street similar would be like the CBR500R at 42 whp 425 lbs, or the new R3 at 38 whp 368 lbs. FZ6R is going to be notably faster, just fyi.

Puig touring windscreen here.
The speed don't bother me (I don't need/want an r6 so this is kind of the middle between a dr650 and an r6, far as bikes. I'm really only looking at Yamaha and Suzuki. Being my dealer isn't a dink like most in my area. Little lower seat height won't be bad. I'm 6'3" and I'm kinda tip toeing the dr

xorbe

The speed don't bother me (I don't need/want an r6 so this is kind of the middle between a dr650 and an r6, far as bikes. I'm really only looking at Yamaha and Suzuki. Being my dealer isn't a dink like most in my area. Little lower seat height won't be bad. I'm 6'3" and I'm kinda tip toeing the dr
Hah, you'll probably want to raise the seat up 3/4" then -- check the manual, takes 5 minutes.

Lpfm1990

Thanks for the info guys. It's been a toss up all week between the fz6, gsx-s750 and the fz-09. The gsx I'm just not sure on and costs more. I like the fz-09 but. That costs the most. And it's newish. And from reading has fueling issues and suspension sucks And other little new model bugs. Where the fz6 has been out for years. Basic efi system. And looks decent also. And sounds like it's the ski-doo 500ss/600 sport. Good power. Decent all around. And best bang for the buck

Superzoom

Ok. Which windshield do you recommend? And how bad is the seat? Can't be no worse then my 2x4 board of a seat with 1/4 of foam and vinal.
You can cut down the windshield 3 or 4 inches to decrease buffeting. Puig is supposed to be good. The Yamaha double bubble is just slightly better than the stock screen, although some people like it. I had the MRA Variotouring, and it was really good, but pricey.

I think you will be fine with the stock seat for a while, then. Many of us have had our seats modded by Eddie at Dirt Road custom seats, who does a nice job for a reasonable amount.

Thanks for the info guys. It's been a toss up all week between the fz6, gsx-s750 and the fz-09. The gsx I'm just not sure on and costs more. I like the fz-09 but. That costs the most. And it's newish. And from reading has fueling issues and suspension sucks And other little new model bugs. Where the fz6 has been out for years. Basic efi system. And looks decent also. And sounds like it's the ski-doo 500ss/600 sport. Good power. Decent all around. And best bang for the buck
Those are three great choices and you can't go wrong with any of them. You just need to buy the bike that suits your style and be honest with yourself. Will you get bored with the FZ6R's 66 hp and modest all-around performance eventually? Do you prefer a sport bike-style of bike over a naked? Do you want the character of a triple engine? Do you enjoy modding your bike, and therefore not care about a bike's shortcomings?

If it comes down to cost, I hope you don't deny yourself the bike you really want in order to save a little money. Personally, I tend to regret those decisions.

When I was last shopping for a bike, it was between the FZ6R and the Triumph Street Triple. I ended up going for the FZ6R because I could get it for $1000 off MSRP. In hindsight, I should have got the Striple. Luckily, the FZ6R has been a very good bike. It's just taken me some time to come to love it.

One last bonus with the FZ6R is that this forum is hands down one of the best owners' forums on the web. Lots of friendly, helpful people here. Not a lot of douchery.

The_Paragon

FZ6 and FZ6R are different bikes, just in case ... '15 would be FZ6R of course.
Though... If you were to look into an FZ6, they are very nice bikes, and they sport just under 100hp!

I ride an fz6 (22,500mi) and my fiancee rides a lowered fz6r. Yamaha's quality on both of these 'budget basic' sport bikes is insurmountable for the price that they cost.
My fiancee came off of a Suzuki GS500F; the suzuki doesnt hold a candle to the fz6r.

Lpfm1990

Went to the dealer today since he had the fz6r out of the crate. Went for a nice 10 mile ride. Man that thing runs smooth. Only thing I had happen was. Went I got on it after turning and went to shift when it got up around 9-10k and shifted from 1st to 2nd. It would pop right into neutral soon as I let the clutch out???

ch33zecake

Went to the dealer today since he had the fz6r out of the crate. Went for a nice 10 mile ride. Man that thing runs smooth. Only thing I had happen was. Went I got on it after turning and went to shift when it got up around 9-10k and shifted from 1st to 2nd. It would pop right into neutral soon as I let the clutch out???
That's weird. I've never experienced that before when I had mine. I did however experience the "false neutral" thing where you would be shifting to 5th gear and go in neutral instead.

Lpfm1990

maybe its just being the bike only had 8 miles on it??? the neutral light wasnt on the 2nd time (1st time i dont know, i wasnt watching the tach when i shifted) but the 2nd time, i went from 1st to 2nd, no neutral light, soon as i let the clutch out, about 1 second later it just went into neutral? it was only when i was hard on it, medium or light, it clicked in fine? im thinking maybe just being a brand new bike, that everything is so tight right now? but anywho, going to the bank on wednesday, to get the loan, and thursday or friday dependin on the weather, it should be sitting in the garage where the dr650 is sitting right now

xorbe

Be sure you are doing solid shifts. Coming from my old Ninja with a positive shifter that allowed me to be super sloppy, I had the same thing the first couple days. Make sure you are doing a complete up on the lever. Though I did catch N with the Ninja 250R tonight. It happens.

ch33zecake

maybe its just being the bike only had 8 miles on it??? the neutral light wasnt on the 2nd time (1st time i dont know, i wasnt watching the tach when i shifted) but the 2nd time, i went from 1st to 2nd, no neutral light, soon as i let the clutch out, about 1 second later it just went into neutral? it was only when i was hard on it, medium or light, it clicked in fine? im thinking maybe just being a brand new bike, that everything is so tight right now? but anywho, going to the bank on wednesday, to get the loan, and thursday or friday dependin on the weather, it should be sitting in the garage where the dr650 is sitting right now
Be sure to take some pics!

catdoc

Is this the bike you will be buying? The motor shouldn't be wound to over 5800rpm for the first 600 miles and 7200 for the next 400. The dealer should have told you that....

xorbe

Is this the bike you will be buying? The motor shouldn't be wound to over 5800rpm for the first 600 miles and 7200 for the next 400. The dealer should have told you that....
Not sure if serious ... once warmed up, there should be no problems anywhere on the tach.

Lpfm1990

I know what they say. But. Being around motor since I could walk. When a motor is brand new. If assembled correctly. Rings should fully seat within the first few revs of the motor. Like my truck. They say no pulling for the first 500 miles. No full throttle.... 150 miles on it I was pulling a trailer. And at 300 held it to the board. Not saying I'm going to pin this till its bouncing off the revs. But some higher revs will not hurt the motor. That warning is for the throttle jockies that want to hear it breaking up against the rev limiter