Plug N' Play Left Hand Control from FZ6 for Hazard Lights on FZ6R?

Chris12

This idea started with me reading on an R6 forum about a rider who bought some European left hand controls (with a hazard light switch) and put them on his US bike (that didn't previously have a hazard light switch) - The hazard lights worked without any other modifications.
** He did need to modify the wiring a bit to allow the "flash to pass" to function.
Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

I would like to have hazard lights on my bike. Filtering through slowly moving/stopped traffic is the main reason (legal in Ca.), though I'm sure there are other times it would be handy.

I know there are many ways to go about installing hazard lights, but I think it may be possible for us FZ6r owners to swap the left hand controls from the Fz6 or Fz1 onto our bikes without any major modifications.

Here is what that euro R6 control looks like with the hazard button:

For a quick reference here's what the FZ6R control looks like:

And finally, here is what the 2004-2009 Fz6 left hand control look like (in very weathered condition):

I think that there is a good chance that the left hand controls from both the Fz6 (2004-2009) and the Fz1 (2006-2013) may fit our FZ6r. I haven't made any comparisons of the wiring, but they may also be plug and play.

I'm sure the Xj6 controls would work too, but they don't seem to be readily available.

The part number for the left hand controls on the 2004-2009 FZ6 is:
5VX-83972-01-00

The part number for the left hand controls on the 2006-2013 FZ1 is:
3C3-83972-00-00
** note the similarity of the 83972 base in both part numbers

I found the Fz6 controls new on partzilla for around $94 and eBay has a few used examples for around $40.

I'd like to do this to my bike, but I'd like to hear others thoughts on compatibility before I spend the $$.

Please let me know what you think!

Last edited:
FWIW: 2008 FZ6, US version...

I was wondering if picture came through as its hosted on 600riders.com and I'm logged on to both sites and I'd guess most are not.

Nope...

PS I may be getting the LED DRL and rear brake lights from Finland of all places. $30 for shipping.... lol